PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Camera Photography Exhibit in Yosemite

David Karp
26-Jul-2006, 22:27
Hi,

If you happen to be going to Yosemite between now and Sept. 30, you might want to visit the Yosemite Museum to view some Mammoth Camera photographs made by Carleton Watkins, Eadweard Muybridge, and others. There is also a big camera on display. In addition to the actual photographs hanging on the wall, there is a computer monitor showing a continuous rotation of scans of other mammoth photographs by these photographers.

Thinking about them hauling those cameras and glass plates around made my 4x5 seem pretty light.

The museum is near the Visitor's Center and the Miwok Village.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/news/2006/muse0711.htm

David Karp
26-Jul-2006, 22:39
Interesting note I stumbled across about Watkins: http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/drych_s016.htm

Renee Galang
29-Jul-2006, 18:59
Watkins followed by Weston are the two most powerful photographic influences in my life.

Curt Palm
25-Aug-2006, 11:23
I just saw this exhibit and it is very impressive.
They had reprinted a contemporary review (from a Sacramento newspaper, I think) of Eadweard Muybridge's work. The review praised his work and talked about the great lengths he went to make his photographs, going where his packers refused to go,waiting a couple of weeks at one site for the right conditions, and
cutting down scores of trees that were in the way of his perfect view......

Bruce Watson
25-Aug-2006, 13:07
I just saw this exhibit and it is very impressive.
They had reprinted a contemporary review (from a Sacramento newspaper, I think) of Eadweard Muybridge's work. The review praised his work and talked about the great lengths he went to make his photographs, going where his packers refused to go,waiting a couple of weeks at one site for the right conditions, and
cutting down scores of trees that were in the way of his perfect view......

A concept I call "view maintenance." I live not too far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Many (the majority?) of the views and pull-outs built into the Parkway are now obscured by the trees. Sections of the Parkway are like driving in a tunnel. OK, I exaggerate. Still, I think a little view maintenance (tree cutting and bush hogging) would make it into a more beautiful place. Unpopular opinion, I know. Not at all PC. Yet I don't feel like I'm betraying my tree-hugger roots. If you can't see it, you can't appreciate it. And if you don't appreciated it, you don't care if someone clear cuts the mountainside (as opposed to the few trees at the overlooks).