PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Film Holder Pouch

David Karp
26-Jul-2006, 22:16
This is another chapter in my never ending quest to find inexpensive items made for other purposes that will be useful for LF work. I spent last week in Yosemite. Our route takes us up to Fresno, and then on Hwy 41 to the park. On the way, that route passes through Oakhurst, which has a large Von's supermarket that caters to the locals, and to all of us passing through on the way to Yosemite. As always, we stopped to pick up last minute items that we realized we had forgotten, and I stumbled across their "back to school" section. Lo and behold, I spotted something beautiful in the lunch box section.

Shown below are nice little insulated containers labeled "access bag n' pack" on the tag. The word "extreme" is emblazoned on the front of the bag. They looked about the right size to hold 4x5 film holders, and it turns out they are. For the grand price of $4.99, I grabbed one. It holds 8 holders comfortably. With 8 you can still close the lid if you want. You can squeeze 9 holders in to it, but you won't be able to close the top. I used it inside my Kelty Redwing to keep the holders from sliding around. My old solution was kind of crummy - an Eagle Creek pouch that was ill suited to the task (but free since I already had it). The bag also folds up nicely when it is empty. They come in different colors, so you can sort by exposed/unexposed, or film type. The one I bought worked so well, that we stopped on the way home and I bought another.

Von's is part of the Safeway chain, so these might also be available in Safeway stores. If not, the tag has an e-mail address that you can use to find out where else you might find these - accessbag@aol.com.

Compared to other similar pouches dedicated to LF use, these are a bargain. The LF pouches I have seen take 6 holders and cost considerably more.

401 402

Brian Schall
26-Jul-2006, 22:26
I also have a soft sided cooler that I've used for 4x5 film holders except the one I have will hold 16 holders and I can still close the lid. And it still is not much larger than a 6 pack. Plus it helps deflect the New Mexico heat some.

Brian

David Karp
26-Jul-2006, 22:33
I have several of these 6 pack coolers, mostly made by Arctic Zone, that I use to haul the bulk of my holders around when traveling by car, and to store loaded and unloaded holders at home (I seem to have collected a lot of holders). They work great. They are a bit big for me to haul around in my backpack though. That is why I was quite happy when I spied these babies at Von's. During my trip, I crammed 9 holders into my bag, and never used them all up. Came close once, at Tenaya Lake. I used my roll film holder a bit (for the first time actually), and that probably kept me from using up all of my sheets.

Geert
27-Jul-2006, 03:00
A 6-pack cooler is the way to go. I can fit 10 holders in mine.

G

Walter Calahan
27-Jul-2006, 04:28
Heck with the film holders, I'm takin' the six-pack instead.

I'll drink to that. Grin.

Hey these are great ideas that I'm looking into. Thanks.

Colleen K
27-Jul-2006, 07:10
I've found that plastic pencil boxes(.49 at Walmart during the back to school sales) hold 4 holders perfectly. I put them all in a cooler in my trunk when I head out to shoot, and when I stop to shoot, I just toss a pencil box in my backpack.
Colleen

MIke Sherck
27-Jul-2006, 08:25
I've used the collapsable coolers for many different purposes over the years. One I especially like holds nine 4x5 holders in ziplock bags and has a separate collapsable compartment on top. When I want to travel light (keep in mind, my camera is an old Caumet CC400 so 'light' is a relative term!) I put holders in the bottom and a second lens, lens brush, filters and holder, spare cable release, light meter, etc. into the top compartment. With the camera mounted on the tripod over my shoulder, using the focusing cloth as a pad, everything I need is in a six-pack sized bag over one shoulder. I have a slightly larger and older bag which holds six 5x7 holders in ziplocks for when I get the old B&J fixed up (an even easier kit: I only have one lens which covers 5x7!)

For 8x10 holders I bought a bag intended to carry a laptop computer from Target for $17. It holds four 8x10 holders in the laptop comparment and the outer compartment has room for the focusing cloth, meter, etc. This was for a B&J monorail camera which I carried in one hand, by the rail, upside down. The tripod was on a sling over one shoulder. Remarkably mobile, for 8x10.

Occasionally these bags even come in handy for carrying drinks and ice! Amazing what modern technology can do... At the end of summer many stores carrying seasonal merchandise discount the heck out of these things. I've bought them for as little as $1 at my local Walgreen's drug store after Labor Day. :)

mjs

Ron Marshall
27-Jul-2006, 08:39
My local supermarket carries the "Extreme" line of cases as well. My Toho is now snug in one of them for $4.99.

BrianShaw
27-Jul-2006, 09:17
I like this thread soooo much that we should propose a separete sub-forum for "cheap substitutes". My film holder holder is similar but has hand holes rather than a strap. The strap version looks more convenient. 8-holder capacity is PERFECT, especailly when it becomes 6 holders and a baloney sandwich!

Another Brian

genecrumpler
27-Jul-2006, 12:28
The store pouch looks a lot like a soft lunch case I carry 8 holders, extra lens, filters. Mine has the USEPA logo on one side!

Matthew Cordery
7-Aug-2006, 21:47
I can confirm that you can find these things at Safeway. I just saw some there.