PDA

View Full Version : Efke/Adox edge notches

tim atherton
26-Jul-2006, 12:41
do the different Efke sheet films have different notches or not (just a single shallow "u"?)

Efke 25/50/100

thanks

Colin Graham
26-Jul-2006, 13:47
same shallow u shape. And if I remember right the J&C 400 (forte) does as well.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jul-2006, 14:08
Most of the East European sheet films I've used just have a single notch, but if I remember correctly, old Arista.edu 400 (Forte, same as J&C Classic) had three notches that were wider than old Tri-X notches.

Donald Qualls
26-Jul-2006, 14:19
Correct, .EDU 400 (Made in Hungary), which is rebranded Forte, has three V-shaped notches -- same code as Tri-X, but with wider notches and a bit more space between. The notches are applied when the film is recut from either master rolls or large sheets, seemingly after the film, slip sheets, and end cards are all stacked and just before folding them into the inner black paper wrap (must be, because the notches are the same through all layers, and perfectly aligned when the film is first opened). All the other Euro films I've used (Foma 100 and Classic 400 -- I have a box of .EDU Ultra 100, but haven't opened it yet so can't confirm the notch code there) have the single U notch.

tim atherton
26-Jul-2006, 14:21
thanks - I was thinking I might have mis-boxed some unprocessed 100 and 25 as they had the same notch (hmmm -- but then I wouldn't know if I did!)

Colin Graham
26-Jul-2006, 16:00
Ok now you're feaking me out. I wonder what I was getting in J&C 400 boxes that has a single u notch? I mean I've shot several hundred sheets of this! And to make things worse I just opened a new forte 400 box and that has a single v notch...

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jul-2006, 16:34
Forte 400, J&C Classic 400, and old Arista.edu 400 are the same film, but the Arista version had three notches, and the other versions apparently have one notch.

Donald Qualls
27-Jul-2006, 13:32
Ok now you're feaking me out. I wonder what I was getting in J&C 400 boxes that has a single u notch? I mean I've shot several hundred sheets of this! And to make things worse I just opened a new forte 400 box and that has a single v notch...

The Classic 400 I finished off a few weeks ago was the single U notch, but I'm now using a box of .EDU (Made in Hungary) which has the three V notches. I'm confident both, and the new single-V notch Classic 400 you have, are Forte film, just a change in the notch cutter setup at whatever facility cuts and packages the films for Fotoimpex and/or Freestyle.