PDA

View Full Version : If you're in the DFW area this summer...

Bob McCarthy
25-Jul-2006, 00:59
Don't miss this exhibit

"The Amon Carter Museum houses one of the most significant collections of American photography in the country. This summer, an exhibition of 100 of the museum’s iconic works fills the museum’s Special Exhibition Galleries. "

Went with my daughter this past sunday. Amazing collection...

Bob

jdavis
25-Jul-2006, 08:37
I second that recommendation - as a Dallas refugee, one of the few things I can recommend to people visiting the area in AUGUST is the Museum District in Fort Worth. The Amon Carter is great - not just the photographs. Take a look at the extensive collection of Remington and Russell paintings - very cool, and very inspirational for photography.

Check out the Kimball and the Modern Art Museum as well. All worth a visit - especially giving the quality air conditioning found inside !

Bob McCarthy
25-Jul-2006, 09:09
What amazed me was the supurb detail that existed in the prints from the late 1800's on. Even the glass plates (wet) provided credible prints. I (we) tend to think current glass is the end all-be all, but 100 year old glass performed too.

bob

Jeremy Moore
25-Jul-2006, 10:46
Bob,

There were a handful of us actually there on Sunday to see the exhibit and Peter's talk (did you catch it?), though we didn't get to see any of the exhibit as Peter's talk went longer than expected. Mike Castles, Kevin Mullet, David Brown, and I were all there--though I think only Mike Castles may frequent this forum in addition to myself. I met the rest of these gents over on apug.org.

I am looking forward to heading back up to the Carter to see the exhibit. Was quite surprised to learn (from Mike who had already been up to see the exhibit) that there were no tintypes in the show, though.
-Jeremy Moore

Bob McCarthy
25-Jul-2006, 11:13
Bob,

There were a handful of us actually there on Sunday to see the exhibit and Peter's talk (did you catch it?), -Jeremy Moore

I was with my baby (she's 9 now, and hates to be called "my baby"). We talked about each print (part of her education as I see it). About halfway through, she ran out of gas, so we called it a day. I wanted to attend the talk at 3:00 but I want her art education to be fun, not drugery. We were close to the limit at 2:00.

I'll attend this show again before it closes.

Bob

Mike Castles
25-Jul-2006, 18:23
I was with my baby (she's 9 now, and hates to be called "my baby"). We talked about each print (part of her education as I see it). About halfway through, she ran out of gas, so we called it a day. I wanted to attend the talk at 3:00 but I want her art education to be fun, not drugery. We were close to the limit at 2:00.

I'll attend this show again before it closes.

Bob
Hello Bob, good to give her the gift of the Amon Carter. My parents did that when it first opened in 1961, and I have been going ever since. We are indeed very fortunate to have some many choices here in FW.

I visited the show on opening day with a friend and she and I spent every bit of 3 hours visiting with each print. Some had been seen before and a few neither of us had seen. Of course, it is easy to make another trip back to see what I missed.

Cheers,
Mike