PDA

View Full Version : Sekonic 508, 558 flashmeters...

Capocheny
24-Jul-2006, 01:44
Does anyone here use either of these meters both indoors (for flash) and outdoors for ambient readings? And, what's your opinion of either of them for use with the Zone System?

I presently have two Minolta flash meters (III and V.) However, I'm tossing the idea around of getting a spot-flash meter such as the 508 or 558 for more accurate readings of shadow areas when using flash for B&W.

The alternative is a Pentax spotmeters... which meter would you go for?

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions. :)

Cheers

Nick_3536
24-Jul-2006, 05:16
Does the Pentax do flash at all?

Barry F
24-Jul-2006, 06:59
HDC,

I've had the Sekonic 508 for some 18 months and am very pleased with it - both ease of use and accuracy of metering.

If I was buying one now I'd opt for the 558 with the digital readout in the spot window - none of this press the button than take your eye away from the viewfinder to see the reading.

Hope this little bit helps,
Barry

Ted Harris
24-Jul-2006, 07:08
The Pentax Digital Spotmeter does NOT do flash.

Ralph Barker
24-Jul-2006, 07:51
FWIW, I've been using an L-508 for a few years, both in a studio environment with strobes (incident) and in the field (reflected spot), and have been quite happy with it. The 558 adds a few bells and whistles, including displaying the readings in the spot viewer. The only drawback, Zone-wise, is you have to do the Zone placement mentally. But, the 3-reading memory capability makes that relatively easy. I do wish it had the display of the discontinued L-778 pistol-grip spot meter, though. The L-778 has an additional 3 tick marks that can be set, and then moved in unison, making Zones a snap.

Bill McMannis
24-Jul-2006, 07:54
I have used a 508 for over four years. It does a very nice job with flash. Its biggest drawback (as you will surely read about elsewhere) is that in low light situations it seems to lack sensitivity. I have experienced such difficulties when trying to meter low light indoors (auditoriums) and night exteriors.

I remain happy with it and have no intention of replacing it.

darr
24-Jul-2006, 09:02
Hi HDC:

I have both meters, but use them for different applications. I actually have the L-558R which if I bought it over again, I would not have the "R" option, but it was all that was in-stock at the time. R means Radio Module if you didn't know. I use the 558 in the studio and also for available light "close to the studio." I do not take it on road-trips. I find it performs wonderfully especially for calculating all the pops my macro shoots demand. My studio lights are older Photogenic heads that are 600W/300W, and when I rack out 50 CM or more of bellows extension and then looking for f/16 with 25 ASA, I find myself popping sometimes 10-15 times. That can be a lot of math to keep track of and the 558 keeps track of it easily. Available light with dome or spot I cannot find it going wrong either.

The Pentax Digital Spot meter is what is in my tool bag for road-trips. I find it to be precise for available lighting, and much simpler to use since it is a basic spot meter; no bells or whistles, but a very effective tool. I use slide film so I generally meter the hottest spot I want to record and open up about 1½ stops and wallah, there you have it, properly exposed film from my experiences with the Pentax. I thought about selling the Pentax shortly after I got the L-558, but I decided I like to keep it simple on the road and use the best technology in the studio. Just my take.

fotographis
24-Jul-2006, 09:36
I have the Sekonic L558r, and have been very pleased. Not having to take your eye away from the viewfinder to glace down at the meter everytime you take a meter reading is very nice! It makes establishing the zone III, V, and VII ranges a bit easier. Though not as easy as with my Gossen Luna Pro with a Zone calibrated dial, but that meter's 3 and 5 degree "spot" attachment is hardly accurate enough to really fuction well as a spot meter. I also shoot a fair amount of flash in my other life as a commercial photographer, I have come really love the meter for what it can do in that realm too, especially the radio release of my strobe packs and remote cameras. The Sekonic is a nice meter, and the only one I carry with me anymore. One note on the down side, the meter does not seam to be as robust as my older Minolta and Gossen meters, even with all the hype from Sekonic about the meter being super well sealed, it just feels kind of well... fragile.

Ted Harris
24-Jul-2006, 10:15
Sorry for the initial cryptic answer. I use a dedicated Sekonic 718 flashmetr in the studio or, on the rare ocassion when I want a flash spotmeter, I use my Sekonic 778 which dooubles as a flash meter. In the field I use either the 778 or Pentax Digital Spot; since the two are calibrated within 1/3 stop of each other I use whihever one I happen to grab first. Generally one is packed in one"ready-to-go"kit and the other in another.

Jorge Gasteazoro
24-Jul-2006, 11:01
even with all the hype from Sekonic about the meter being super well sealed, it just feels kind of well... fragile.

I have had a 508 since they first came out, so we are talking about 7 years, I have dropped it, I have gotten it wet, I have used it in very dusty conditions and the meter is still working like the first day. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one, but IMO they are very reliable rugged meters.....

Capocheny
24-Jul-2006, 15:03
Thanks to all for the great comments...

My initial decision was whether I wanted another flash meter or not and, hence, the thoughts on the Pentax digital spotmeter. But, the other flashmeters don't do spot readings. And, for the most part, I've used them as incident meters rather than reflective.

Then, I thought about how handy it would be to be able to use a spot meter reading for measuring shadow areas with flash, which is the advantage with the 558.

The big advantage with the Pentax digital spotmeter is that it's very clean and straightforward to use. And, it has all the shutter speed aperture combinations right there in front of you. But, as some of you have mentioned... it can't be used with flash. So, this would be used strictly out in the field.

I realize there are advantages with both meters but it's just a matter of deciding on which meter will accomplish the most functions I want it to. At this point... I'm leaning toward a 558.

So, hence the dilemma and my posting. :)

I'll give it more thought... but, in the meantime, thank you all for your comments.

Cheers

Henry Ambrose
24-Jul-2006, 15:34
I have had experience very much like Jorge's. I got a 508 right after they came out and its never given any trouble at all. My metering in low light has not been a problem, even with -very- dark interiors. Its a great meter. If I lost it I'd buy a 558 which is the replacement for the 508 I think.

Capocheny
24-Jul-2006, 16:16
I have had experience very much like Jorge's. I got a 508 right after they came out and its never given any trouble at all. My metering in low light has not been a problem, even with -very- dark interiors. Its a great meter. If I lost it I'd buy a 558 which is the replacement for the 508 I think.

Hello Henry,

Thanks for the recommendation... I'm going to take a peek at one and play with it for a day or two before committing. It looks to be a great meter.

Interestingly though... I understand the 600 and 700 series are no longer being sold in Canada. Apparently, they've been deleted from the catalog. Strange because they are both newer models than the 588.

Anyway, I'll have to decide in the next very short while.

Cheers

andyjl
28-Jul-2006, 09:44
I've been using a 558 with the Radio option for over a year. I've been very pleased with it both for spot, incident, and flash use. The radio option makes it sooo much easier to pop the flashes (single or multi-pop--it measures both) and get a reading.

I've used it as a flash meter with both a Profoto 4D system (flash duration around 1/2000), and also a custom high speed flash (1/50,000). It works flawlessly.

I still have my Pentax spotmeter as a backup, but as other posters have observed, it is not a flashmeter.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. It does its job and it does it well. Now, if only the same thing could be said of its owner. :)