PDA

View Full Version : new to LF..

dietcookie
23-Jul-2006, 22:30
Hi there..i've been thinking about getting a LF camera, i've been reading a bit and there are just so many selections. Well first off I currently shoot with an EOS 3/10D and a RB67 if that helps at all. I am still a student, hoping to make something out of my self in photo.

I have always digged square crops so it was either a Hasselblad or a 4x5. I know about the Shen-Hao SH612 roll film holder so I can shoot multiple crops (including 6x6!!) so thats perfect. I guess the only discriminating factor is I need a 4x5 that can be used that that back or a back similar to it. I shoot alot of landscape type stuff so 6x6 + all movements is a dream come true.

Any ideas on which one(s) I should narrow it down to, perhaps something light that I can bring with me backpacking... ..

Capocheny
23-Jul-2006, 23:01
Dietcookie,

You can buy literally ANY large format camera and accomplish a square format. All you need to do is to mask off the ground glass and frame your images inside the masked area. Imagine a 4"x4" square format on a sheet of 4x5!

So, what it gets down to... is your budget.

If you want to start off economically... try a Shen-hao, Tachihara, Wista, or any of a number of similar cameras. The Shen-hao is a very good place to start.

You'll also need to decide on what focal lengths you like shooting with... that will determine what length of bellows you need and, thus, the camera.

It's a new journey but can be a LOT of fun! :)

Good luck on your decision.

Cheers

Darin Boville
23-Jul-2006, 23:14
Hi,

What is your budget for the camera? You say you are a student which implies low budget, but then again you sound like a photography student so maybe you are willing/able to spend $$$ on this. No need to start out cheap, if you don't need to... as long as you buy smart you can usually resell stuff near to what you paid for it...

--Darin

dietcookie
24-Jul-2006, 00:31
Thanks for the responses guys.

Anyways in terms of focal legnth i'm considering

135mm/150mm normal lens, whichever one is a better bang for the buck...

and a 72-75mm wide...

maybe a long lens some day..

Would asking that on all focal legnths a minimum of f/5.6 be way over a budget of $1000?

Capocheny
24-Jul-2006, 01:34
No, you should be close on the dollar... I'm assuming you'll be buying used?

If new... then I think it'll run you a bit more than a grand.

Cheers

Matus Kalisky
24-Jul-2006, 03:06
Hi Dietcookie,

first of all - the 4x5 is fun - go fot it :-)

I started myself just a few weeks ago - 6 ot of total 10 slides are still in the lab. I was in similar situation - trying to get to 4x5 in reasonable price and weight - I managet it halfway (I mean the weight). I got nearly new Tachihara 45 (really light), then Caltar E 210/6.8 and finaly Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW which I really like although it was not the cheapest option.

You mentiond you would like to use roll-film holders. You will get lot of different opinions here, but if you are serious - it would be much better for you to get a camera with Graflock (or so called international) back - as there are more roll film holder options in reasonable price range than you would have with the camera which only have spring back (like Tachihara).

Concerning the budget - the camera and lesnses are not everything you need. You also need some reasonable light tripod and head (maybe you already have one, if not look for Feisol or Benro for reasonable proced lightweight carbon tripods at ~ $200), couple of film holders (used around $10 per one), loupe for focusing, cable release (OK, this is cheap), darkcloath (sooner or later - black t-shirt is not very confortable although it works for me by now) - and last but not least - some film & developement than scanning, printing.

If you are limited with the budget - get just one lens first (any used 135 - 150 mm multicoated version of the lens from the big four will be OK - nikkor and fujinon being cheaper) and start shooting. You will quickly realise what more little gadgets you need (filters, camera&lens cases, changing tent, more filmholders, etc...)

Just keep in mind - if you say that you want to spend $1000, it will be at least $500 more in couple of months ;) .

Good luck.

M..

Nick_3536
24-Jul-2006, 05:14
Okay so you want to use a rollfilm back that needs a Graflok. You want to use a wide lens around 70mm. You want a light hiking camera. You want cheap-)

Ron Marshall
24-Jul-2006, 05:30
Don't forget that with the 6x6 back the normal lens will be a 75, and a wide lens will be expensive.

Lots of good options now for used equipment, try KEH Camera Brokers and Midwest Photo Exchange.

Charles
24-Jul-2006, 08:13
A thought here, for what it's worth. Shooting 6x6 with a rollfilm holder on a 4x5 will give you movements but you may likely throw away a bit of detail/resolution in the process. Generally speaking, most LF lenses are not quite as sharp as MF lenses and in turn, MF lenses aren't quite as sharp as the best 35mm lenses. Everything is a trade off but I would be inclined to believe your RB 67 images will be sharper, movements not withstanding.

dietcookie
24-Jul-2006, 13:05
Don't forget that with the 6x6 back the normal lens will be a 75, and a wide lens will be expensive.

Lots of good options now for used equipment, try KEH Camera Brokers and Midwest Photo Exchange.

Ahh, I never thought of that. Only situation that I can relate to similar is my 10D and having to buy an ultra wide.

Perhaps I should shoot 4x5 and crop to square on the ground glass, do alot of people do this? I guess it's the same as asking if people crop or not after the fact..and we all know the answer to that.

I would still like to be able to use a roll film back....are there any specific models I should be looking at?

Nick_3536
24-Jul-2006, 13:15
4x5 is pretty damn close to square. If you really want perfectly square then it's not a big issue to print hard.

Ron Marshall
24-Jul-2006, 14:30
I would forget the roll film back due to the focal length issue and crop.

I have a roll film back which I never use, primarily because of the focal length issue.