PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia Natioinal Park report

John Kasaian
23-Jul-2006, 08:30
I was up there for the just the day on our Pack Hike. The high was 80 degress f (I'm even going to attempt to spell it) which was pleasant compared to the 100-112 degree temps in the San Joaquin Valley. Aside from the trees and granite there was a lot of cloud action with a nice afternoon thunderstorm and a brief soothing cool rain which has been fairly consistent fare over the past week, so you Angelenos suffering from cloud free skies might want to take note. For a saturday the crowds weren't at all bad at the major sites we visited (Lodgepole Visitor's Center, Giant VIllage & The General Sherman.) I took along my 5x7 Speeder but was too busy chasing my Tiger Cubs through the woods to take it out and play.

The Tuscan Turkey with Cheese sandwich at the deli at Lodgepole was yummy and the ice cream cones come with scoops the size of bocce balls!

A good excuse for another outing!

Any of my fellow valley dwellers looking to escape the heat should be reminded of Boyden Cave in Kings Canyon NP and Crystal Cavern in Sequoia NP are a balmy 50 degrees year around ;-)

We came and left from the Kings Canyon side and from the Kings Canyon overlook thee was only a hint of snow on Mt. Goddard and no trace of snow on any of the other peaks in the area. Of course we were looking at the southern slopes which melt off first.

Oh, and we saw a bear! Her coat was absolutely beautiful.

Cheers!

John Kasaian
23-Jul-2006, 21:12
Oops, I think I made a mistake---Boyden is closer to 40 degrees---so much the better!

Darin Boville
23-Jul-2006, 23:39
Oops, I think I made a mistake---Boyden is closer to 40 degrees---so much the better!

Hey there,

I'm just back from Kings canyon/Sequoia Noational Park. I think your first estimate on Boyden was more correct--Boyden is not sealed off from the outside air--there's a flow through it--so the temp fluctuates. When we were there it was in the 50s.

Another discovery (for me, at least) is the "snack bar" in Cedar Grove, at the lodge. Called a snack bar, looks like a snack bar, but the food is outstanding. I had ribs, my wife a "special buritto", the kids pasta, etc. 1st class stuff, worth every penny and not cheap--much better than the fancier lodge food at Grant Grove.

Also went to Hume Lake. Nearly 6000 (no kidding) teenage Christians marched by me just after I arrived, all dressed and painted in green, many in costumes. It was an army! Sort of freaky!

--Darin