PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Lens Barrels

Scott Rosenberg
17-Jul-2006, 22:41
just wondering what i could use to clean the barell of my lenses that will give them the fresh-from-the-factory look again without removing the white paint printed along the outside. i thought about acetone or mineral spirits, which are great solvents, but worried about taking the white lettering paint off. would glass cleaner do it... or possibly a mild surfactant like woolite... or maybe just good old fashioned warm water with dishsoap? before i tried something and took the lettering clean off my lenses, i thought i'd ask here!

i'll assume whatever is safe for the barell will also be safe for the shutter and won't remove the numbers marking shutter speeds?

thanks,
scott

Ralph Barker
18-Jul-2006, 07:54
To paraphrase from the Antique Road Show, "If this had the original patina, it would sell at auction for at least a half-million. Refinished as it is the value is closer to $2." ;)

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2006, 08:00
What Ralph said... but if it's only worth $2 to begin with, there are paint sticks at Fargo Enterprise's MicroTools site for filling in engraved lettering/numbering. They come in all colors.