PDA

View Full Version : Airport x-ray survival story

cyrus
17-Jul-2006, 19:24
OK so on the way back from Italy, I was carrying way too much gaudy tacky junk made out of glass from Venice as gifts for my equally tacky friends, coworkers and relatives, so I decided to bite the bullet and hand my camera bag over as checked luggage with nothing more than the hope that I would see it again. I carry all the camera stuff except for film in a Pelican roller which qualifies by size as carry-on luggage. However I have to admit that it is a sort of scary looking piece of luggage that has a certain militaristic look to it. I'm sure that wasn't helped by my spray-painting my name on it using military-style cut-out letters, and the rather heavy lock I placed on it. In fact once back in NYC, a cabbie took one look at it and joked "Hey is there a gun in there?"

So I wasn't so surprised when the ticket agent oh-so gently told me to take that particular piece of luggage to a "special room" where it would be "specially checked in" - trying to sound as if this "special" procedure was a special treat for my benefit when in fact I knew full well what was coming and was resigned to it and didn't really need the prevarication. Anyway, in the "special room" there was of course a monster x-ray machine of some sort, and I was instructed to place my suspicious-looking Pelican into it before it could be checked in. Then the agent proceeded to x-ray it, and I was able to see the screen of his machine over his shoulder, which predictably showed the innards of my cameras and lightmeters etc. The agent then took a look at me and my admittedly dashing & swarthy Mideastern features, and so he decided to zap the luggage a few more times. But still no sign of a bomb was found, so he placed the luggage on a rack to be loaded into the airplane. I was relieved that I hadn't been asked to unpack though ironically, I realized my other luggage was not given this treatment but could have carried God-knows what.

Now, I was calm through this process because I had placed all my film in my hand bag and I knew that there was no film in the Pelican. But when I got home and started unpacking, I realized that I had left a roll of 120 film (400 speed) in an old 6x9 Nettar folder that I had taken to Italy just for fun. I had taken several shots of theTrevi fountain with it. I assumed that the "special" treatment given to my Pelican bag had ruined the film but I decided to develop it anyway. Lo and behold! the negs came out fine. They were ruined of course - not by the x rays but by me as usual (forgot to %*#@$ FOCUS!)

So I suppose the lesson is that film can survive enough airport X-ray zaps to neuter a few horses, and still come out fine.

Capocheny
17-Jul-2006, 19:54
OK so on the way back from Italy, I was carrying way too much gaudy tacky junk made out of glass from Venice as gifts for my equally tacky friends, coworkers and relatives,...

Hi Cyrus,

Glad I'm NOT your friend!!! :)

Just kidding!

Glad that everything turned out for you and your films...

Cheers

Walter Calahan
18-Jul-2006, 04:06
Same thing happened to me with one wayward roll of 120 film some years ago will no ill results.

Fortunately for me, I had no tacky junk in my luggage.

BrianShaw
18-Jul-2006, 06:52
The agent then took a look at me and my admittedly dashing & swarthy Mideastern features, and so he decided to zap the luggage a few more times.

You are from Iowa?

EDIT: Oh sorry... that would be midWestern. My mistake. Mea Culpa!

So, I've was in that "special room" once, the time I lost my ID somewhere during my journey. They zapped my bag so much that I found dead fleas in my dirty underwear.

Along the lines of "tacky glass souveniers", I remember the day (long before 9-11) when I was traveling to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan with a business colleague. He stopped in a local craft fair and bought a ceramic oil lamp (VERY TACKY) to add to the Buddhist shrine he had at home. In those days the local airport had the local sherrif check bags. The sherrif looked at this item and asked what it was to be used for. Imagine the look on a red-neck sherrif when told by a nerdy white guy that it is for his Buddhist shrine. The sherrif, being nobodies fool, said that a ceramic flask that was designed to contain flammable liquid combined with a wick = the makings of a bomb. So he declared that he was going to confiscate the item. My colleague snatched the wick out of hte flas, put the wick in his pocket and said to the sherrif "look, it's just a ceramic flask." Believe it or not, the sherrif handed it back with only a comment about how tacky it is. Really, this is a true story!

cyrus
18-Jul-2006, 09:50
Homeland security...home decorator ... same difference.

400d
29-Aug-2006, 17:22
So slides or negs at 50 or 100 should have minimum risk...correct?

Ron Marshall
29-Aug-2006, 17:32
So slides or negs at 50 or 100 should have minimum risk...correct?

Correct for hand luggage scanners, NOT for checked baggage scanners.

Capocheny
29-Aug-2006, 18:01
He stopped in a local craft fair and bought a ceramic oil lamp (VERY TACKY) to add to the Buddhist shrine he had at home.

Hi Brian,

That's too funny!

But, if you want a REALLY, REALLY tacky item... go to a local Chinatown and look for one of those red lamps with the tassles hanging off the bottom. When the lamp has been turned on for a short while... the warmed air makes the shade revolve! :)

Now, THAT is tacky!

My brother gave my wife and I one for a joke wedding present... it's stored in the garage "just waiting" for the right time to spring back on him! We've had it in storage since 1987! So, it'll be worth the price of admission just to see his expression!!! :)

Cheers