PDA

View Full Version : Panorama Stitching Software

Michael Stratton
17-Jul-2006, 17:33
Hi,

I'm trying to find a solution for making high quality panorama's using photo stitching on a Mac. Is anyone out there successfully using any software they could recommend? I'm trying PTMac but it's really complicated I think.

Let me know

Mike

Walter Calahan
17-Jul-2006, 18:02
I simply use PhotoShop.

Doug Dolde
17-Jul-2006, 18:28
I absolutely recommend Panavue Image Assembler...unfortunately it's PC only.

Ed Richards
17-Jul-2006, 19:20
PTGui is terriffic, and you can run it on Virtual PC, according to their site. It handles images that are not exactly lined up very well.

Brian Ellis
17-Jul-2006, 19:41
I don't do it myself but just recently I saw some excellent stitched photos that the photographer said were done in Photoshop CS2.

Frank Petronio
17-Jul-2006, 19:48
Photoshop CS2 has a "Photomerge" panel that stitches images just fine for a duffer like myself. I agree, some of the other packages are overwhelming unless you really throw yourself into it.

Emmanuel BIGLER
18-Jul-2006, 02:59
No doubts that various expensive software exist for panoramic stitching.

So let's mention free software :
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

And stitching is not all the story. Panoramic assembly is not only the digital version of glueing side-to-side two pictures. Even if you rotate the camera around where it should, i.e. around the entrance pupil and nothing else ;-)
Digital image processing allows you to go far beyond and reconstruct any kind of projection
http://wiki.panoramatools.org/Projections

Roger Hein
18-Jul-2006, 05:24
I've tried several and while I agree PTmac is daunting for someone starting it's well worth the effort to learn. FWIW I don't find PTmac any more difficult to learn or use than the 'pc' counterpart PTgui. I also didn't find apps like RealViz Stitcher to be any less complicated or easier - just a lot more expensive. BTW, if you want a mac app that is 'easy' give Calico a try.

Greg Miller
18-Jul-2006, 09:58
I just do it manually in Photoshop.

roteague
18-Jul-2006, 11:28
I just use a panoramic back on my Toyo.