PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a new head

MarshallS
15-Jul-2006, 14:05
So I'm looking into a new head for use of my 8x10 cambo sc, I like the price range of the majestics as I'm not looking to drop a grand on an arca swiss so out of curiosity whats everyone usin- Likes/dislikes best places to order from. As always oppinions are appreciated.

Capocheny
15-Jul-2006, 14:37
If you have the opportunity to look at a Manfrotto Geared Head Model 400... that's what I would recommend.

It's what I've been using with my Sinar X for the past 5 years.

The geared head is absolutely great for fine adjustments... no muss, no fuss!

And, it won't cost you a grand either. :)

As to where you can buy one of these babies...

new - MidWest Photo Exchange or Badger Graphics;

used - the big auction site. In fact, there's a Bogen version on there right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280005809722&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Good luck on the bidding if you choose to jump in on it!

Cheers

Jack Flesher
16-Jul-2006, 08:55
Well, it's not cheap but is less than a grand -- I like the Arca B2 as it is relatively compact and allows independant axis adjustment, yet is sturdy enough to hold the largest view cameras.

And since I just bought that one for myself, I do have a very servicable Majestic I'll sell resonably if you are interested ;) A bit scruffy on the outside, but still smooth and tight -- say $215 shipped and PayPal'd inside the US?

MarshallS
16-Jul-2006, 09:36
When you say servicable does that mean theres problems with any of the mechanics/gears/shifts? Also what make, plate and year?

Brian Ellis
16-Jul-2006, 09:37
For inexpensive (relatively) and excellent stability the Bogen 3057 head with a 4" square release plate on the 3046 tripod is a good combination. The tripod costs about $150, the head costs about the same new but they come up on ebay fairly often. The only downside other than weight (8 lbs for the legs, 4.5 lbs for the head) is that it's a little uncomfortable carrying the tripod over your shoulder because of the way the legs are constructed so it wouldn't be good for long hikes. But for walks up to about a mile or so and for around town I think it's an excellent combination for relatively little money. I used it with my Deardorff 8x10 (12 lbs).

Ernest Purdum
16-Jul-2006, 10:05
From the camera you intend to mount it on it, I'm guessing that backpacking isn't intended. I've got a Majestic head, but the one I mostly use is a Quickset "Samson".

These are expensive new, but tripod and all is sometimes very cheap on eBay. I bought a second one for use at my storage unit recently. It may have been particularly cheap because of a chronic eBay problem. eBay sellers can't spell. It was listed as a "Sampson". If you like dollies, they are often available, as is their hi-lo unit. I'm not sure I'd pui an 8X10 on the latter item, though.

Jack Flesher
16-Jul-2006, 10:32
When you say servicable does that mean theres problems with any of the mechanics/gears/shifts? Also what make, plate and year?

As I said it functions smoothly and locks tightly and there are no mechanical issues I have had with it. It just looks scruffy. I don't know what year it was made in. It has a medium-sized flat top plate about 75x100 cm with a locking 3/8" post. It also has an insert on the bottom so you can attach it to any tripod with a 3/8" post. Gear drive fore and aft, friction-lock left and right.

A picture is worth 1000 words, but while this one shows the condition of the outer case it is hiding the crank handle which is of course attached to the other side, as well as the top plate surface and the insert, which of course are there as well ;)

http://jack.cameraphile.org/albums/album08/Majestic.jpg

MarshallS
16-Jul-2006, 11:21
Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know if I'm interested.

I've heard good things about the Gitzo1570M and that bogen head previously mentioned, and the prices on ebay can't be beat. Anyone used one with a monorail 8x10 and if so did it handle the weight well?