PDA

View Full Version : Restore Linhof Bellows

Brian Sims
14-Jul-2006, 19:25
I just bought a used Linhof Technikardan. It is in very good shape. The bellows are light tight, but, as typical, the few inches closest to the lens are crumpled. I'm not sure they're bad enough to sag into the path of the image, but under the wrong conditions they might.

I have removed the bellows and re-creased/reshaped the bellows to their original shape. My question is how might I treat the bellows to hold their original shape? Options I've considered: Steam (some kind of tiny, low heat iron)? Some kind of natural or synthetic sizing? Very dilute shellac? Just water? Other substance? What side would I apply the treatment?

Anyone got a wasted Technikardan bellows they would be willing to send me for experimenting? I'd share the results.

Brian

Ralph W. Lambrecht
16-Jul-2006, 08:53
Brian

I redesigned my Technikardan bellows and ad them made by Camera Bellows in Birmingham, UK. You can have the old ones if you pay for the shipping from Germany. Careful, this might be expensive!

Michael Graves
16-Jul-2006, 12:05
About three weeks ago, I posted a similar post about Toyo bellows. I got a number of very knowledgeable responses from the folks on this forum and finally decided to have a new set of bellows make. I got a very attractive quote from Gortite that came in a few dollars beneath Camera Bellows. More importantly, I didn't have to ship frames overseas and wait for the finished product to come back from overseas. Another big plus was that Gortite guarateed the bellows to be waterproof. Since my 810M is pretty water-resistant, I'm hoping to be able to shoot in light rain -- something I never would have dared with the original Toyo bellows.

Both Camera Bellows and Gortite were quoting four weeks lead time. I finally quit procrastinating and placed my order last week. I'll post here again after I get the final product back.

Bob Salomon
16-Jul-2006, 13:43
Crefully refold the TK bellows and place it on a flat surface with a very heavy book on top of the bellows for a few days and leave it untouched. It won't make them new but it will improve them. Then make sure you follow the directions on opening and closing the camera and don't try very wide lenses with movements unless you have the bag bellows.

tim atherton
16-Jul-2006, 20:10
Brian

I redesigned my Technikardan bellows and ad them made by Camera Bellows in Birmingham, UK. You can have the old ones if you pay for the shipping from Germany. Careful, this might be expensive!

re-designed them how...?

tim atherton
16-Jul-2006, 20:11
anyone know who makes the type of bellows canham and phillips use? that stuff takes some abuse...

Steve Hamley
17-Jul-2006, 05:56
Tim,

Canham's bellows are allegedly the fabric bellows from Camera Bellows. I don't know this from experience though.

Steve

Ralph W. Lambrecht
17-Jul-2006, 09:30
re-designed them how...?

I don't like the double-tapered design of the Technikardan. It allows the camera to fold easier but requires thinner bellows material and makes for very sensitive bellows. I had Keith from Camera Bellows make me single tapered-bellows, dropped a few folds and used heavier material. The camera still folds (I still suggest to take the bellows out for storage) and the material has more durability.

Linhof told me that the typical life expectancy for their Technikardan bellows is around 10 years. That is ridicules low compared to normal bellows, especially that they wanted $500 for the replacement.

robc
17-Jul-2006, 14:35
I don't like the double-tapered design of the Technikardan. It allows the camera to fold easier but requires thinner bellows material and makes for very sensitive bellows. I had Keith from Camera Bellows make me single tapered-bellows, dropped a few folds and used heavier material. The camera still folds (I still suggest to take the bellows out for storage) and the material has more durability.

Linhof told me that the typical life expectancy for their Technikardan bellows is around 10 years. That is ridicules low compared to normal bellows, especially that they wanted $500 for the replacement.

see

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=170490&postcount=46

for one reason why removing double taper could be a problem. most likely with longer lenses and macro settings.

Bob Salomon
17-Jul-2006, 15:44
" It allows the camera to fold easier but requires thinner bellows "

The reason for the double taper is so the standards can be collapsed so that they are almost touching when the camera is folded for travel. Only the 45 requires a double tapered bellows. The 23 model does not require one but the bellows extension is several inches less then with the 45.

Ralph W. Lambrecht
19-Jul-2006, 11:26
" It allows the camera to fold easier but requires thinner bellows "

The reason for the double taper is so the standards can be collapsed so that they are almost touching when the camera is folded for travel. Only the 45 requires a double tapered bellows. The 23 model does not require one but the bellows extension is several inches less then with the 45.

I'm glad, I got rid of the double-tapered bellows. Nothing but trouble. I'm much happier with my new single-tapered version.