PDA

View Full Version : Arca-Swiss retailer question

Magnus W
14-Jul-2006, 10:31
Dear All,

First of all, a big thanks to the moderators and the incredibly learned members (myself not included) of this forum, it is a goldmine for anything LF. I have been lurking for a while before taking the plunge and registering.

My next plunge will be into LF and hence the question. I travel occasionally to Switzerland (Zurich) and would like to know if anyone knows of a retailer in Zurich who could supply me with an F-Line 4x5?

If not, does anyone have an email address or phone number to the manufacturer so I can ask them directly?

Many Thanks.

Walter Calahan
14-Jul-2006, 10:59
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/ArcaSwiss.htm

Vacation to Dorset instead.

Grin!

Armin Seeholzer
14-Jul-2006, 11:45
Profot in Baar near Zug they are the Swiss seller!
Here's the link: http://www.profot.ch/web_d/produkte/kamera_1.php
Good luck!
But a warning , I worked with an F-Line in the past and sold it because of focusshift when locking it, the worst thing a camera can have in my opinion.
Take care, Sinar is in my opinion the better camera!

evan clarke
14-Jul-2006, 17:46
I have 5 Arcas and have never had one single problem, I had Sinar P2 and much prefer my Arcas. I second Robert White as a source. I bought one of my 4x5s from them. You can try Photomark in Phoenix, Rod Klukas is probably the best Arca guy in the US.
You will need to talk to a few people, the cameras are not falling off trees and I have already waited several months for one..Evan Clarke

Doug Dolde
16-Jul-2006, 10:39
I second the recommendation for Rod Klukas at Photomark. He taught me more about focusing the view camera in 15 minutes than I ever knew before. And I thought I was doing it right !

And note that his prices are just as good or better than Badger Graphic's PLUS Rod only sells US model Arca Swiss with full three year warranty. I believe Badger's are grey models.

Eric Brody
16-Jul-2006, 11:17
Yet another recommendation for Rod Klukas of Photomark if you choose to purchase in the USA. After patient discussion, I'm a long time 4x5 photographer, new to Arca, Rod encouraged me to get the F-line Field which has been a superb instrument. The folding rail, which did not seem like a good idea initially, has turned out to be really useful as I pack the camera in a Lowepro pack. I bought the Arca for myself for a milestone birthday after attending a Bruce Barnbaum workshop with and talking extensively with Evan Clarke. Evan's advice was right on as well.

Eric

Tom Westbrook
16-Jul-2006, 14:05
I believe Badger's are grey models.

I'm almost certain that Badger gets stuff from the US distributor, having had to contact them both regarding a couple of orders I've placed over tha past year or so.

Capocheny
16-Jul-2006, 21:30
FWIW... I also second Sinar over Arca!

Cheers

Frank Petronio
16-Jul-2006, 21:56
I was playing with a friend's Sinar P the other day and have to admit, there is no play or backlash from the tilt mechanism, which is better than the Arca's I've owned and played with. Getting the Arca standards aligned on the default zero points is not easy.

Of course I think the Arca is a better design in many other ways, but for the money and value, (a strong back and) a Sinar P is hella good camera.

Bart Langenaken
17-Jul-2006, 08:20
If possible go to the factory in Besancon (France). It's not that far from the Swiss border. At Arca Swiss Besancon they have a room where all AS camera's are visible. You can handle them and ask your questions directly to Mr. or Mrs. Vogt. I bought my AS directly from them (no retailer in Belgium).

evan clarke
17-Jul-2006, 11:09
I second the recommendation for Rod Klukas at Photomark. He taught me more about focusing the view camera in 15 minutes than I ever knew before. And I thought I was doing it right !

And note that his prices are just as good or better than Badger Graphic's PLUS Rod only sells US model Arca Swiss with full three year warranty. I believe Badger's are grey models.
Rod has cameras on hand at times. When I bought my first 4x5 from Robert White, I said I would accept ANY 4x5 and still had a one month wait. If you think you would like to have the Orbix, make sure and buy a camera with it already installed, a retrofit must go to France to be installed. Arca USA very generously gave me a loaner front standard while mine was gone and the retro required about 2-2 1/2 months and did not include August!!..Evan Clarke

Doug Dolde
26-Jul-2006, 23:38
I just picked up a brand new Arca Swiss 141mm Field from Rod today. It's a real beauty with Micro Metric Orbix. He has a few more coming in a few days if any of you are looking for one. I don't think anyone else in the country has the new Field with Orbix in stock.

joolsb
2-Aug-2006, 23:34
Further up the thread, somebody mentioned ProFot in Zug. Since you specifically mentioned Zurich, you might like to know that they also have a branch very close to Zurich's main railway station - right next door to one of the best pro labs in the city.