PDA

View Full Version : Cable Release Extension or Move Shutter foreward off the front Standard?

tonepixs
13-Jul-2006, 08:01
While still trying to find a UK supplier for a long throw cable release for a Luo 5 1/2 " dimension.
On my other post-Long Throw Cable Release. A "Gepe Pro" was recommended-Adam at SK Grimes is currenlty looking in to this for me. In the mean while I have to try and work out how to get round the fact the shutter does'nt sit foreward enough of the front standard to screw the c/r in. I think its possible to laminate another lens panel to push the shutter foreward enough to be able to screw the c/r in-But will this affect the focusing etc. As I also intend to use a 6 1/2" JHL Process modified lens with this set up a 5 x 7 Ansco-I have mounted this lens onto the shutter and it does focus-but the bellows are practically only about 1 1/2" apart, about the size of a bag bellows.

I've thought using a c/r extension but this will shorthen the throw even further.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

medform-norm
13-Jul-2006, 08:40
You probably mean to say you have a Luc shutter instead of a Luo...but that doesn't change your problem. We have a similar shutter and use a c/r extension on it plus a cable release from Prontor with a long throw of 1". This combination works and should work for you too. The extension c/r should not shorten the throw that much, perhaps 1/8 " at the most. If you still need more length, you may want to consider opening the shutter and make changes to the inside mechanism for the release. If finding a c/r with a long throw is a problem, try searching on photographic fairs (take the shutter with you). Or try to find a black aluminum prontor double cable release for use on SLR's with macro bellows, these should be long enough and should not cost that much either. I think the most we ever paid was $10.
HTH, Norm

tonepixs
13-Jul-2006, 10:43
Thanks medform norm I've just had a quick search and found they've acccessible via Hassleblad in Germany. You're right its a Luo-Mis-spelt it when posting.
Would you say the speed is 1/15th-20th or 1/30th-I really need to get the shutter serviced, there a local technician who will run a regular service need to me in Sussex. UK for around £45.00 I feel thats a bit over priced-What do you guys fork out on for shutter services? Would like to make a comparision.

I'll update this post when I've finally got my hands on a c/r long enough.
Thanks tonepixs

medform-norm
13-Jul-2006, 11:14
Thanks medform norm I've just had a quick search and found they've acccessible via Hassleblad in Germany. You're right its a Luo-Mis-spelt it when posting.
Would you say the speed is 1/15th-20th or 1/30th-I really need to get the shutter serviced, there a local technician who will run a regular service need to me in Sussex. UK for around £45.00 I feel thats a bit over priced-What do you guys fork out on for shutter services? Would like to make a comparision.

I'll update this post when I've finally got my hands on a c/r long enough.
Thanks tonepixs

Glad you found a source for a c/r. Won't it be expensive though, to order it from a spiffy company like Hasselblad?
I'd say your shutter is at its fastest 1/20th, but that's on the basis of an old add for a Luc and I don't know if it's your model. We use a rather forgiving film, so anywhere between 1/20 and 1/30th will do fine for us. The price you mentioned is not that unreasonable as these aren't the easiest shutters to take apart. Plus you never know what you encounter on the inside...
We don't fork out nuffin' for service as we're not a commercial business or anything fancy, just rather mechanically inclined DIY-ers. On second thought, you could always propose to swap something in return for the job, like your camera :-)
FIY I have attached the add for the Luc shutter, forgot where it came from originaly. Cameraeccentric, possibly? Sorry I can't be of more help.
Norm