PDA

View Full Version : Field cameras

DrPablo
12-Jul-2006, 21:18
I'm really enjoying my new 4x5 hobby, but I think I'm going to die every time I so much as carry my gear more than a block. I've got a calumet 45n monorail with 2 lenses, 2 bellows, polaroid back, loupe, etc, etc, etc, all in an anodized aluminum case that weighs as much as my car. And of course the tripod is heavy too.

This is great for shots that I can drive to, but I can't always drive to my choice shots. I'll be spending a lot of time in Tanzania in the next few years, along with various travels in the US, and I'd love to find a way to either make my setup more portable or find a field camera body.

I have calumet lensboards, and it would be nice not to have to remount the lenses for travel. I've heard mixed things about the Zone VI, though.

Any other suggestions?

Kirk Gittings
12-Jul-2006, 21:31
The Calumet lens boards will sort of fit a Zone VI if you make a slot for the Calumet's ridge in the Zone VI. I have done exactly this for the same reason you mentioned. I made the slot by simply scoring a track with a new mat blade over and over again till the slot was formed. Works like a charm. That was like ten years ago.

Ted Harris
13-Jul-2006, 06:54
If you don't want to do it yourself send your Zone VI to Richard Ritter (www.lg4mat.net) to do the mod or get a Linhof/echnika to Calumet adapter from him so you can work the other way around. The Zone VI is a solid versitile field camera.
richard is the guy to see since he built most of 'em that were made in Vermont.

Bruce Watson
13-Jul-2006, 06:59
You might want to consider lightening your load with cameras and lenses (and of course other equipment) that weighs less. For example, the Toho FC-45X (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm) and some light weight lenses. (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm)

If you go with light weight cameras and lenses, you can then go with a light weight carbon fiber tripod also. Then shoot film in quickload and readyload formats to save weight. Use a light weight backpack such as an Osprey daypack (http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/14/540/features/) for both transportation and storage of your kit.

Basically, you have to plan a light weight kit, then go about putting that kit together.

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Jul-2006, 08:03
Nothing wrong with a Zone VI, it is a great camera. I also own a Tachihara which I enjoy very much, but of course uses a different size lens board. I have used the Calumet metal boards on my Zone VI but as Kirk said, it is a little tight.

The Zone VI is my workhorse and is a joy to use, but if I want to go light I simply put my 150mm lens on the Tachihara, grab a few holders and a meter then head out. With the camera, meter, Quickload holder with film, loupe, darkcloth and lens I am still way under 15 pounds ( not including tripod of course). It is a great way to go light.

Remounting a lens to a lens boards is an easy thing to do by the way.

I think your choice in camera will depend on what you really enjoy photographing. If it is landscapes then any number of field cameras would do the trick for you. You might find that the field camera is really the right ticket and you can sell the Calumet and extra bellows and really make your life simple.

Have fun.

Ron Marshall
13-Jul-2006, 08:42
I have a Sinar and a Toho. I started with the Sinar and an aluminum tripod, but was killing myself on hikes.

The toho is a 3 Lb monorail. I now have a carbon fiber tripod and a quickload holder. My lenses are not the lightest, I prefer easy focussing. But when travelling light I take only one to three lenses.

JBrunner
13-Jul-2006, 08:53
My Tachihara is very light, and folds up very small, and it is cheap, even brand new. The lensboards are easy to find and fairly cheap as well. It doesn't have the movements a monorail does, but I have yet to run out on landscape work.
It is a bomber pack camera, IMO, but you would have to remount your lenses.
I don't find remounting lenses that difficult or time consuming, but thats just me.

Eric Brody
13-Jul-2006, 09:11
DrPablo,

You have lots of great options in the world of field cameras. The camera is only one part of the package, and while often the single heaviest item, it may not be the main problem for transport. As you mentioned, tripods, lenses, film-especially if you do not use readyloads, meters, and all the other paraphenalia really add up. I suspect that if you get and use a field-type camera, you'll give up on the big monorail, unless you do studio work. If that should happen, the lens board problem will disappear. With two lenses, it is not that big an issue anyway. I had only one lens, a 210, for many years and had a lot of fun.

Your first decision is wood vs metal, wood is pretty, metal is more durable; you said you will be travelling, and precise in usage. As I and others have written before, people tend to favor what they own or have owned for obvious reasons.

I admit to a bias toward metal cameras, perhaps because I really like the more precise feel, perhaps because I live in the Pacific Northwest where it is often moist. While I have not owned a Toho, most agree it is the lightest, mini-monorail. There are a legion of Technika lovers out there, the cameras are sturdy, well built, and a bit on the heavy side. I own and am selling (shameless plug), an excellent Toyo Field 45A, a metal camera that weighs just over 5 lb and has served me well. Email me if you're interested. I recently replaced it with my long time dream camera, an Arca Swiss F-line Field. Arcas are wonderful but are expensive new and hard to find used.

You have some interesting and challenging decisions to make.

Eric

J D Clark
13-Jul-2006, 09:19
I can vouch for the Zone VI in the field, I have the older one that weighs about 6 pounds, and it is just fine. You can shave a few pounds with a lighter camera, including the lightweight version of the Zone VI with the anodized aluminum hardware, and several additional solutions have been listed above. There is some misinformation based on some older writings about the Zone VI, but it's a fine camera that has all the advantages and disadvantages of a wood field camera.

I can make two additional recommendations to make your portage more easy: one way you can easily shed pounds is in your tripod (you don't mention what you have), with the judicious application of cash. I replaced my wood Berlebach tripod with a carbon fiber Gitzo 1325 and lost about 5-7 pounds. I'm also thinking about replacing the 3047 head with a Bogen 410, and lose a few more pounds.

The second recommendation that affects the distance you can carry a camera is how it's packed on you. You mention that your anodized aluminum case is the culprit. Almost everyone here knows this already, but I learned this lesson recently -- I had a Zone VI "white refridgerator" case that worked great out of the back of the car, but if I had to carry it slung over my shoulder, my back would start whining within about 50 yards. I replaced it with a Kelty backpack, and system from PhotoBackpacker.com (http://www.photobackpacker.com), and carrying the camera has been *much* more comfortable, at a slight cost of convenience getting the camera out of the bag. Bruce Laughton there is a great guy, and answered my many questions, and was truly interested in getting my setup correct. There are other posts on Photo Backpacker that are more detailed.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com (http://www.johndclark.com)

Bill_1856
13-Jul-2006, 19:23
Roller carriage where it's feasable, Canon EOS 1Ds II where it ain't.

DrPablo
13-Jul-2006, 20:05
All great suggestions. My tripod is a Bogen that with its head weighs more than 20 pounds. I got it as part of a whole kit from a studio photographer who sold me his camera, lenses, and everything else.

I also have two Dynatran tripods from Amvona.com; one is probably 5 pounds and big; the other is a cheapo lightweight that I can use for my DSLR when travelling. I doubt it would support a big monorail, though.

I probably would want to keep the 45N, because one of my big interests is architectural and cityscape photography. When travelling I'd have to make do with either a field camera or do what I'm doing now (using my Canon 24mm tilt-shift).

The other option that I don't like quite as much would be to get a medium format rangefinder for travel. That would be potentially expensive, but certainly save weight. But having just gotten my first 4 Velvia transparancies I know I'm going to remain in love with LF.

rchomitz
26-Jul-2006, 06:10
I saw the plug to sell a toyo 45A, does it have the rotating back?

Dick

Eric Brody
26-Jul-2006, 06:27
The 45A does not come with the revolving back. If you are referring to the camera I have for sale, it is still available. It takes literally 2-3 seconds to change from horizontal to vertical.

Eric

GRMorgan
26-Jul-2006, 07:46
I have a Zone VI, 3 lenses, meter, filters, loupe, dark cloth, lens holders etc., all of which I keep in the white Zone VI "refrigerator pack" as its been called.

When I have to a fair amount of hiking, this solution works well for me. I bought a nice Kelty backpack. I put the whole "refrigerator pack" inside the backpack and still have room left for lunch, water etc. The tripod can be secured easily on the outside of the backpack. All my stuff is organized in a consistent manner as I don't have to move it from one storage method to another

The backpack distributes weight well if used properly.

Hope this helps.

David Karp
26-Jul-2006, 07:55
DrPablo,

I started much as you did, with a 45NX. I later upgraded to a Cambo 45SF, with the idea that some day I would get a field camera and use the 45SF for architecture. I finally was able to realize this dream. I purchased a Walker Titan SF. There are many cameras out there, and one person's dream camera is another person's nightmare camera, but I love that Walker. It is ideal for me. Enough extension to use a 450mm lens, rigid, durable, kind of cool looking (its made of plastic, but not brittle), and very intuitive. I like the idea that it is not wood. If I had a beautiful wood camera I would be too worried about scuffing it up or breaking it. The Titan uses Technika type boards. I have a Technika to Cambo adapter for the 45SF that works very well.

One thing to think about. If you use the back standard of your monorail for focusing and a lot of your movements like shift, rise, and fall, then you might want to look for a field camera that has triple extension capability and at least some movements besides tilt on the rear so you can use the back of the camera in a way you have become used to on your monorail. The Walker has rear shift, which I like. It does not change the relationship between items in the photograph the way front shift does. Similarly, the items in the image do not change size when you use back focus (as they do if you use the front focus because the lens moves closer or farther from the subject - important if your framing is tight).

Good luck on your choice.

Alan Davenport
26-Jul-2006, 11:25
I dunno what kind of lensboards the Zone VI uses, so I'll just suggest what I did.

Get a field camera that uses the Linhof Technika style boards (Tachihara, Shen Hao, et al.) Remount all of your lenses onto Technika boards.

Then find and buy an adapter board to mount the Technika boards onto your Cambo. IINM, the 45N uses the large square boards (about 160mm X 160mm.) Calumet/Cambo made an adapter which is frequently seen on Ebay.

I have a Tachihara (which was also sold by Calumet as the "Wood Field XM") and it is indeed the bomb for portability. Lightweight, sturdy (enough) and plenty of movements for any landscape I've run across to date. Add a slip-on plastic groundglass protector and you can fold the Tachi and drop it in a backpack. I fold mine into a large lenswrap for a bit more protection. Life is good.

Alan Davenport
26-Jul-2006, 11:26
I dunno what kind of lensboards the Zone VI uses, so I'll just suggest what I did.

Get a field camera that uses the Linhof Technika style boards (Tachihara, Shen Hao, et al.) Remount all of your lenses onto Technika boards.

Then find and buy an adapter board to mount the Technika boards onto your Cambo. IINM, the 45N uses the large square boards (about 160mm X 160mm.) Calumet/Cambo made an adapter which is frequently seen on Ebay. Problem solved.

I have a Tachihara (which was also sold by Calumet as the "Wood Field XM") and it is indeed the bomb for portability. Lightweight, sturdy (enough) and plenty of movements for any landscape I've run across to date. Add a slip-on plastic groundglass protector and you can fold the Tachi and drop it in a backpack. I fold mine into a large lenswrap for a bit more protection. Life is good.

genecrumpler
27-Jul-2006, 12:43
Take a look at the Ebony SW45, Ebony's cheapest camera ($1599 at Badger Graphics) and very light weight(3.9 lbs). I've been looking at field cameras for more than a year, to possibly upgrade from my current Toyo CF45, if LF really is my thing (Jury still out). I got a chance to get my hands on one of these last year at a workshop, and man the Ebony is one tough well built camera. There were a number of other cameras at the workshop and the ebony wins hands down (even a Linhof Techkina (sp?))

DrPablo
31-Jul-2006, 06:11
How do people like the Gowland cameras as opposed to the ones mentioned?