PDA

View Full Version : White mold in bellows

Jfnphotography
12-Jul-2006, 16:41
Last night I noticed a spot on my prints from dust. When I was cleaning the enlarger lens, I looked down the bellows and noticed white mold forming on the sides of the bellows. How do I remove this without damaging the bellows? I have a Omega Pro-Lab 4x5 not sure what the bellows is made of.
Jacob

medform-norm
12-Jul-2006, 16:50
Not knowing whether this is an unorthodox manner or not, but this is how we treat such mold. All you need is a small paint brush and an organic kind of detergent made of orange peels (smells real good and kills mold). Put a bit of detergent in a container, put some water in another container. Dip brush in container, brush on mold spot, clean brush well in water and repeat steps. After you're done, let bellows dry in the sun where it can catch UV rays. And voila, the mold has gone to heaven.
HTH, Norm

Brian Vuillemenot
12-Jul-2006, 16:52
"And voila, the mold has gone to heaven."

Is there a heaven for fungi? And wouldn't it be more likely to go to hell? ;)

Jim Rice
12-Jul-2006, 17:35
It depends, I suppose, on whether or not it was repentant. :P

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 17:37
I've also heard of people using tea tree oil in a detergent base... the mould or fungi goes to hell in this case!

Not heaven!

[BTW, I've never had the need to try this so try it only if you're a gambler!]

Cheers

medform-norm
12-Jul-2006, 17:56
I've also heard of people using tea tree oil in a detergent base... the mould or fungi goes to hell in this case!

Not heaven!

[BTW, I've never had the need to try this so try it only if you're a gambler!]

Cheers

Perhaps we should not discard the possibillity that it reincarnates...

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 18:40
Perhaps we should not discard the possibillity that it reincarnates...

Oh God... pray NOT! :)

Cheers

Jfnphotography
13-Jul-2006, 10:35
Will tea tree oil in a detergent base, hurt my bellows?
Jacob

medform-norm
13-Jul-2006, 10:55
Jacob

I don't think so, but it depends what your bellows are made of.

Capocheny
13-Jul-2006, 11:01
Jacob

Obviously, do NOT immerse your bellows in the stuff. Just take a damp cloth and wet it down with the solution. Then, gently wipe the affected area.

The nice thing about using Tea Tree Oil is that it's a natural product and isn't a harsh chemical compound.

Hopefully, it'll work for you!

Cheers