PDA

View Full Version : A Query for Deardorff 8x10 Users...

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 12:56
Greetings,

I was wondering how many shooters on this forum use a Deardorff 8x10 and... do you store a lens inside the camera?

If you do... what lens do you normally keep mounted inside the camera?

Secondly, do you also use a reducing back? 5x7 or 4x5 or both?

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Cheers

Christopher Perez
12-Jul-2006, 13:03
I was wondering how many shooters on this forum use a Deardorff 8x10 and... do you store a lens inside the camera?

Yes, I own an 8x10 'dorff.

No, I don't store lenses inside it.

I'm not sure how a Schneider 360mm Symmar Convertible f/5.6 in #5 Compound would fit! :)

I don't store the Schneider 240 GClaron in there either.

No. That's what the Arca Swiss and Ikeda Anba are for. But... if you were to show me a 5x12 back that'd fit/work on the 8x10... then we might have something to talk about... :)

Jay DeFehr
12-Jul-2006, 13:38
I don't store lenses in my 'dorff, but I do use reducing backs; 5x7, 4x5, and 3x4.

Jay

Ed K.
12-Jul-2006, 13:50
Greets HDC -

None of my lenses fit inside, and I sure wouln't want to risk damage to the ground glass. Of course, some of the little Protars and such might fit, no?

Yes - both backs. 4x5 allows for effectively longer lens portraits and type 55 if desired, with less body flare, 5x7 allows for use of 5x7 for smaller contact prints ( no real cost savings there ). And while you didn't ask, the splitter boards, while a kludge, do work for 5x8 and 4x10. I find that I don't use the 5x8.

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 19:13
Thanks for the input... I realize it's easy enough to just pop a lens onto the front end as soon as the camera is set up. At the moment, there's a small Protar lens "stored" in the camera. When a friend saw this, the immediate question came up regarding other possible candidates. Obviously, it would have to be a fairly short lens so that the ground glass (as Ed pointed out) wouldn't be damaged.

Jay,

What you said makes a lot of sense. The thought came up when I was thinking about bellows length and longer focal lengths. The longest lens in my arsenal hasn't arrived yet but it's a Red Dot Artar being mounted into a Copal 3 shutter. Anyway, the bellows length on the Dorff 5x7/4x5 is 22". But, the bellows length is quite a bit longer on the Dorff 8x10.

So, one advantage to using reducing backs on an 8x10 camera would be that it allows longer focal length lenses to be used because of the longer bellows length on the 8x10 Dorff.

Ed,

Yes, you're quite right... I didn't mentioned the splitter boards. I just won a sliding 5x8 back from Dagor77. I'm looking forward to receiving and using the slider back in the near future. :)

So, in conclusion... I guess I'll be out there looking for both a 4x5 and 5x7 reducing back in the future.

Again, thanks for all your comments. They're very much appreciated.

Cheers

John Kasaian
12-Jul-2006, 21:24
I shoot with a 8x10 Deardorff. I don't store a lens inside but I often transport with a lens inside---its one less thing to carry and it is well protected in the body to boot. What lenses fit inside are my 159mm Wollensak WA, 240mm G Claron, 300mm Dagor, 14" APO Artar and 19" RD Artar which all have taken turns riding inside when when I'm out hiking about with the 'dorff.
I do have a 4x5 reducing back bought with the intention of shooting type 55 p/n but I never use it---I haven't even looked at it over the past three years (go figure!)

Cheers!

Capocheny
12-Jul-2006, 22:22
I shoot with a 8x10 Deardorff. I don't store a lens inside but I often transport with a lens inside---its one less thing to carry and it is well protected in the body to boot. What lenses fit inside are my 159mm Wollensak WA, 240mm G Claron, 300mm Dagor, 14" APO Artar and 19" RD Artar which all have taken turns riding inside when when I'm out hiking about with the 'dorff.
I do have a 4x5 reducing back bought with the intention of shooting type 55 p/n but I never use it---I haven't even looked at it over the past three years (go figure!)

Cheers!

Hello John,

Thanks for your note... I've just bought a 19" RD Artar and am having it mounted in a Copal 3 shutter. Is yours mounted in a Copal 3 shutter as well?

LOL... in regards to your 4x5 reducing back, isn't this true with a LOT of our gear? :) I've decided to look for reducing backs in 4x5 and, perhaps, in a 5x7 format as well.

John, you may, or may not, remember that I had posted a note here awhile ago with the question of going either 5x7 or 8x10. I ended up going with a 5x7 Dorff with 4x5 reducing back. I've now bought an 8x10 Dorff with the thought that, if I want to shoot 5x7 or 4x5... I'd take Dorff Junior out. And, if I wanted to shoot 8x10 then I'd take Dorff Senior out.

However, the reason I asked about reducing backs for the 8x10 was simply because of the ability to use longer lenses with 5x7 or 4x5. For example, the 360 Symmar is a huge chunk of glass to use with Jr. Dorff... but it's suitable for use with Sr. Dorff because the lens boards are larger and the standards sturdier. Secondly, the bellows is much longer on Sr. Dorff compared to Jr. Dorff.

Anyway, I'm digressing here. So, thank you for listing out the list of lenses that will fit inside Dorff Senior. I'll have to look for some of those lenses that you've mentioned.

BTW, are you happy with the 14" Apo Artar? Is it a RD version? And, is there quite a lot of room for movement in the lenses you mentioned?

Thanks again. :)

Cheers

John Kasaian
12-Jul-2006, 22:55
Capocheny,

My 19" RD is in a #4 Acme. The 14" APO Artar is in a #2-ish Dial Set Compur. the 300mm Dagor is in a Compound. I think if a shutter will fit easily on 'dorff's 6" lensboard it would probably fit---the big issue is the over all length of the lens and its relationship to the gg which is easy to determine---just pop the back off, reverse the lens board and see if the lens would imperil the area where the gg would be.

The 14" APO Artar is just a plain ol' Artar---wonderfully sharp in spite of not being coated. It currently lives aboard a 5x7 Agfa Ansco but I've used it on the 8x10 'dorff. It is quite a nice lens and gives me useful wiggle room when it comes to landscapes, though it hasn't anywhere near the acerage of a 14" Commercial Ektar or 300mm Dagor. While I haven't compared them side by side I think The 14" Artar easily beats out my 300mm Nikkor M (which would also fit inside the 'dorff) when it comes to coverage(of course ymmv) As far as the other lens go, the 159 Wolly WA is very tight. No useable wiggle room IMHO. The 240 G Claron offers plenty of movement and the 300mm Dagor and 19" RD Artar offer extremely huge usable image circles.

Come to think of it, I think I once carried a 14" Commercial Ektar inside the 'dorff, but the 10" WF Ektar was just too "long" for comfort.

I haven't tried putting my Nikkor 450M inside the 'dorff since I don't have a 'dorff board for it, but it seems like it should fit inside and of course offers an incredible amount of coverage (enough for a 12x20!)

I hope this helps!

Jim Galli
13-Jul-2006, 10:00
I sometimes store my 225mm G-Claron with the lens board turned around backwards inside my 8X10 'dorff.

I have reducing backs but have never used them. If I'm going to the trouble to carry around a 12 pound camera I'm going to make 8X10 (or 7X11) pictures. I set up a 5X7 or a 4X5 to make those sized negs.

Jay DeFehr
13-Jul-2006, 11:35
Jim,

I understand your not wanting to carry more equipment than necessary, if you're hauling it on your back. I'm not a nature/landscape photographer, and I drive to within a few yards of my locations. I carry my entire outfit in a large case, so I always have everything with me, including reducing backs, and the holders that fit them. I can easily, and often do make different sized negs with the same camera setup, kind of like a zoom back, and I don't have to try to fit my 14½" Verito to a 4x5 camera. The weight is really not an issue for me, and I'm able to exploit the advantages of the larger camera for smaller formats. To me, setting up a completely different camera to shoot a smaller neg seems like a lot of extra work, with no advantages to be had for the effort. That being said, you're not the first person to think it strange that I shoot 3x4 film with an 8x10 camera. It just goes to show that what makes perfect sense for one person, is sheer lunacy for another.

Jay

Alex Hawley
13-Jul-2006, 12:23
Yes, I use an 8x10 Deardorff, but have never stored a lens in it. Never saw the need to.

I have a 4x5 back and use it quite a bit, especially with Type 55 Polaroid. Someday I will get a 5x7 back also. For me, its a great convenience to have just one camera that's so multi-talented.

E. von Hoegh
13-Jul-2006, 12:23
Capocheny,

Congratulations on your new V8!

I've never considered carrying or storing it with a lens mounted, I don't think it would be a very good idea unless it is a tiny lens that could be reversed ( or is on a recessed board ) to allow the camera to fold as if the lens wasn't there.

When I am shooting from the car, I always bring the 4x5 back in case I see a 4x5 + long lens shot. An advantage of 4x5/5x7 backs on 8x10 is less bellows flare.

For my uses, the V8 is the ideal 8x10. Mine was made in late'50 or early '51 and was refinished in '89. It has the original leather bellows and is probably good for another 56 years. FYI my two most-used lenses are 240 and 355, with 300 a bit behind for third.
I don't mind having a bit of history on top of the tripod, either.

I wish you the best of photographic experiences with your V8.

John Kasaian
13-Jul-2006, 13:32
After rereading some of the posts I think I might have confused some people.

I'm not aware of any shuttered lens that can fit when properly mounted on a folded 8x10 'dorff---at least any lens that I own.

What you have to do is reverse the lensboard so the front element is pointing at the gg and the rear element would be (when the camera is folded) pointing at the bed.

When setting up, simple unfold the camera, reverse the lensboard so the lens is facing the proper position, attach the cable release and you're 'there.' One less rummage through the back pack.

My apologies if I confused anyone!

Capocheny
15-Jul-2006, 21:31
Capocheny,

Congratulations on your new V8!

Mine was made in late'50 or early '51 and was refinished in '89. It has the original leather bellows and is probably good for another 56 years. FYI my two most-used lenses are 240 and 355, with 300 a bit behind for third.

I wish you the best of photographic experiences with your V8.

Hello E,

Thank you. :)

Mine was built in 1954 and was restored by a physician in the late 80's. It's in great condition. And, the bellows is in beautiful condition as well.

What 240 are you using with your camera?

I've just picked up a 19" Red Dot Artar, a 240 G-Claron, and a 300 Apo Ronar. The 19" RDA is being mounted into a Copal 3 at present. The 240 will get mounted into a Copal 1 and I've not decided whether I'll be keeping the 300 or not. I've also got a 240 Nikkor f5.6 that's beautiful for 5x7 but I think it may be of limited use on 8x10. I also have a 360 Symmar-S f6.8 that's a HUGE chunk of glass.

So many cameras, so many lenses... and so little time! :)

Cheers

Hugo Zhang
15-Jul-2006, 21:48
H.D.C.

I have used a Deardorff for a few years with lenses from 130mm to 480mm, mostly Dagor and Artar lenses. I have a 24" RD Artar and have only used it two or three times on it. I use a Linhof viewfinder to compose and determine what lens to use, so I never store a lens inside the camera.

I have a 5x7 reducing back, but rarely use it for I seem to be able to get 8x10 films cheaper than 5x7 ones.

Good luck with your Deardorff. I love mine.

Hugo

E. von Hoegh
16-Jul-2006, 08:06
Capocheny,

My 240 is actually a 9.5" Goerz NY Dagor, ca 1911 mounted in a Compound and originally owned by Wm H Pfister of Cincinnati (he engraved his name inside the shutter , was an instrument maker).

A nice little lens that give ample movement for landscapes.

Capocheny
16-Jul-2006, 13:39
Hi Hugo,

I didn't think the Dorff 8x10 had enough bellows length to work with the 24" RD Artar. I just picked up a 19" that is being remounted into a Copal 3.

What is the 130 you use with your Dorff?

Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the 240...

Cheers

Hugo Zhang
17-Jul-2006, 12:48
H.D.C...

Deardorff comes with a bellow of 30" which allows the use of a 24" lnes. The 130mm lens I use is a Rodenstock Weitwinkel Perigon. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16817&highlight=perigon

Hugo

Capocheny
17-Jul-2006, 14:02
H.D.C...

Deardorff comes with a bellow of 30" which allows the use of a 24" lnes. The 130mm lens I use is a Rodenstock Weitwinkel Perigon. Here is the link:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16817&highlight=perigon

Hugo

Hello Hugo,

Thank you for the info and the link... will have to locate one of those beauties for my camera!

Where did you locate the Perigon?

And, I'll resolve to get my butt out more often and shoot with the 8x10! :)

Cheers

Hugo Zhang
17-Jul-2006, 17:04
H.D.C.

13cm Perigon is hard to find. I bouhgt mine from Europe. Keep your eyes open for it. BTW, 19" RD Artar is one of my favorite lenses.

Cheers!

Hugo

Capocheny
17-Jul-2006, 20:10
H.D.C.

13cm Perigon is hard to find. I bouhgt mine from Europe. Keep your eyes open for it. BTW, 19" RD Artar is one of my favorite lenses.

Cheers!

Hugo

Hugo,

LOL, now, why did I just KNOW you were going to say that about the Perigon??? :)

I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

But, I'm glad to hear about the 19" RDA... :)

Cheers

Donald Brewster
18-Jul-2006, 13:53
Never even thought to store lenses in/on the camera. Have the 4x5 reduction back and rarely use. Can use 24" RD Artar with no problem. The 19" RD Artar is wonderful on a V8. Mine's in an older Copal 3 and a delight to use. Of course these cameras were just made for the 14" Commercial Ektar and the 10" WF Ektar.

Michael Daily
18-Jul-2006, 14:05
Greetings,

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Cheers

I have 2 DD8x10s
1967 model, yes i store the Comm Ektar in camera
1937? model, yes, I store 240 G Claron on board inside camera back.
I have both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, but rarely use them.
I have 5x7 DD (1949) that I use for 5x7 Lens in box outside camera
Michael

Michael Daily
18-Jul-2006, 14:12
After rereading some of the posts I think I might have confused some people.

I'm not aware of any shuttered lens that can fit when properly mounted on a folded 8x10 'dorff---at least any lens that I own.

What you have to do is reverse the lensboard so the front element is pointing at the gg and the rear element would be (when the camera is folded) pointing at the bed.

When setting up, simple unfold the camera, reverse the lensboard so the lens is facing the proper position, attach the cable release and you're 'there.' One less rummage through the back pack.

My apologies if I confused anyone!

In my older DD 8x10, the bellows is so thick that I cannot put a reversed lensboard in the camera folded up. Do others have the same problem? In my newer one ('67) the reversed board fits fine...
Michael