PDA

View Full Version : center filter question

jeff ross
12-Jul-2006, 08:57
i have a schneider saxl 58mm (recently purchased,) as well as a schneider ssxl110. both lenses use a 67mm center filter. as well as using a center filter, i'd like to use a warming filter. i shoot mainly color neg and i occasionaly like to warm up my pictures with an 81a or more. i've never used a center filter before, so my question is when purchasing and using another filter, should i get the 67mm size and put the center filter on top of it, or the other way around, using center filter first and putting a bigger filter (don't know size) on top of the CF. basically, does it matter that the center filter is first, closest to the lens? it sure would be easier and cheaper if i could get away with the 67mm filter, but i'd rather do what works best. sorry for the belabored question. thanks.

Eric Leppanen
12-Jul-2006, 09:18
The center filter needs to be attached first; otherwise it will block the field of view (called vignetting, you'll notice dark area(s) at the edge of the photograph). You might be able to attach one slim-line (no front filter thread) filter on top of the center filter without vignetting, although I have not tried that. I use the Lee filter system (4x4" and 4x6" square and rectangular filters) that I mount onto your center filter using an FK100 press-on filter holder. I have had no problems with vignetting when using this setup with the SA58XL, SS80XL or SS110XL.

Ron Marshall
12-Jul-2006, 10:31
When I use the centerfilter on my 110 xl, which is rarely, I put other filters behind the lens. I focus with a UV filter in place then replace it with the colored filter.

robc
12-Jul-2006, 10:38
110SSXL coverage on 4x5 is so great that I doubt you need a center filter unless you use a lot of shift.

Al Seyle
12-Jul-2006, 12:45
"i shoot mainly color neg and i occasionaly like to warm up my pictures with an 81a or more."

I just do the warming when I make the print & forget the 81a.

JW Dewdney
12-Jul-2006, 13:49
110SSXL coverage on 4x5 is so great that I doubt you need a center filter unless you use a lot of shift.

I second Rob's opinion. The centerfilter is designed with it's accessory thread a much larger diameter anyway. Even IF you were to start stacking filters on top - all it would do is cut into an area of the projected image which is already optically inferior anyway (at the edge of field). I really wouldn't worry about it. I think 110mm is a focal length where centerfilter use is questionable anyhow. For a 90 it isn't really necessary at all anyhow unless you're using some pretty extreme shift, IMO.

MJSfoto1956
12-Jul-2006, 15:27
I too pretty much have stopped using filters altogether preferring to make any such adjustments in PS. Some exceptions: occassionally I still use a polarizer, or perhaps a graduated filter for skies. That's about it. (with the exception of when I'm shooting large format digital infrared when I use a dark red 090 filter)

J Michael Sullivan
MAGNAchrom...

Helen Bach
12-Jul-2006, 16:53
Given the choice between stacking two nicely plane filters with their surfaces in parallel and omitting the 81A, I'd omit the 81A, especially with neg film.

The front thread size of the IIIb CF for the 58 mm SAXL and the 110 mm SSXL is 86 mm.

Best,
Helen

Michael S. Briggs
12-Jul-2006, 18:35
You can obtain the specs (e.g., 86 mm front threads, as stated by Helen) and Schneider's instructions at www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/centerfilter.pdf.

The center filter is designed to be the first filter on the front of the lens, and to have additional filters threaded onto its front threads. The front threads are larger so that an additional filter won't cause vignetting. If using an additional filter, Schneider suggests using a multicoated filter, no doubt to prevent (or greatly reduce) the problem of reflections between the two plane surfaces brought up by Helen.

If you use a thick filter on the rear of the lens (52 mm for the 110 mm SS-XL), you should focus with the filter in place because it changes the focus.

jeff ross
13-Jul-2006, 14:54
thanks to everyone. you've all been most helpful.