PDA

View Full Version : Seen any good monographs lately?

Tom Westbrook
11-Jul-2006, 15:32
I'm on the prowl for some excellent photography to ponder, and it's been a while since anyone has asked, so what are you reading or looking at these days? Last good ones I've enjoyed a lot are the big red Kertesz book from the Nat'l Gallery, Friedlaender's Sticks & Stones, Borowiec's Along the Ohio (how's his new book?), and Western Rider by Chuck Forsman, to name a few. All those are relatively old, so I need some new material.

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2006, 16:45
I have just finished reading a recently published book by Gerald Robinson entitled ,"Photography, History & Science." Chapters include subjects such as the Photo League and photography in the Cold War, plus the contributions of personalities including Stieglitz, Adams, Brett and Edward Weston and Peter Bunnell. He makes a case for Surrealistic photography being an outgrowth of WWI. I found it good reading, certainly thought provoking. Jerry has a long career as a photographer and knew well some of the personalities mentioned in his writing. Warning, the only image is on the dust jacket! The book is available from Carl Mautz Publishing or perhaps through local libraries.

jnantz
12-Jul-2006, 07:43
there is little book of andres kertesz: early years. it is a book filled with small prints from his early life - it is just amazing. .....

Doug Howk
12-Jul-2006, 16:39
Lodima Press, Brett Weston Portfolio series ( only 2 vols so far). The 2nd volume has a couple of helpful essays.
For reading, John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop.

Michael Graves
12-Jul-2006, 17:08
If you want to feel inadequate for the rest of your life -- that your work will never compare -- get Kirk Gittings Chaco Body. Eventually I'll start shooting again. But I'd love to know how that guy gets that much out of a black and white negative.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2006, 07:25
Whoa, Thank you for that Michael. It was a labor of love and a difficult act to follow.

Ben Crane
18-Jul-2006, 07:40
A few months ago I came across Don Worth's Close to Infinity published by the Photography West Gallery in Carmel. This is a book well worth buying, the reproductions are amazing.

Eric Biggerstaff
18-Jul-2006, 09:49
The Don Worth book is a great one for sure, worth the money. I have been digging into Paul Strand Southwest recently and am enjoying it. Also, if you can find any of William Clift's monographs you would probably enjoy them as well.

Darin Boville
18-Jul-2006, 14:06
I'm on the prowl for some excellent photography to ponder, and it's been a while since anyone has asked, so what are you reading or looking at these days? Last good ones I've enjoyed a lot are the big red Kertesz book from the Nat'l Gallery, Friedlaender's Sticks & Stones, Borowiec's Along the Ohio (how's his new book?), and Western Rider by Chuck Forsman, to name a few. All those are relatively old, so I need some new material.

Borowiec's new book is fairly cool, although I bought it just before Katrina, so a bit hard to see it now untainted by events.

I'm still recommending the James Fee monograph that came out a few years back. Very worthwhile.

The Stanley Kubrick book of his still magazine work is interesting, as is his big, expensive Taschen book. New Kubrick DVDs in hi-def are coming out this year and will, no doubt, be worth every penny and more.

--Darin

tim atherton
18-Jul-2006, 14:15
A few I recently enjoyed are Geoffrey James' "Paris", Friedlander's Apples & Olives, Robert Adams "Bodhisattva"

and about Photography - Rebecca Solnit's River of Shadows- fascinating

chris jordan
18-Jul-2006, 16:25
Not to blow my own horn or anything, but,

(loud trombone playing the background)

I have a new book coming out in a few weeks. The title is "In Katrina's Wake"; it's already listed on Amazon.

~cj

Michael Graves
18-Jul-2006, 19:18
I'm going to want a copy of that book, Chris. I saw some of the images you posted and thought you did an amazing job. Naturally, I'll want it autographed.....where do I send it? Same question applies to you Mr. Gittings, except I don't have to wait for yours to arrive.

Kirk Gittings
18-Jul-2006, 19:38
I'd be happy to Michael. Send it to:

1414 Phoenix NW
Albuquerque, NM

If it gets here after Saturday, I will be in England for a couple of weeks.

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2006, 03:06
I'll just hold off until you get back. I'm leaving tomorrow for a week. It's that time of year.