PDA

View Full Version : Rollei 400 IR processing

karnopp
11-Jul-2006, 09:27
I have been using Maco 820c and have figured out processing. I liked the film because I could shoot it in 120 or 4X5.

Now I have Rollei 400IR. I shot 6 sheets. I could not find any help for development times however so I did the following:

XTOL 1 to 2 for 14 min at 68 degrees F. with continuous agitation.

All but 2 of the six negatives came out hopelessly thin.

Has anyone figured a good way to develop this in XTOL?

Andre Noble
11-Jul-2006, 10:27
I have yet to read of a single person getting good results from this new Rollei 400IR.

I'm positive this stuff will go belly up in 30 months time.

Now let the heroes come forth who've had such "wonderful' IR results with this film:) ...

Jan Pedersen
13-Jul-2006, 09:03
So far no experience with Xtol but shot a roll (120) last weekend and exposed it a 6 and 12 asa with the Hoya R72 filter. 6 being closer than 12 with this filter
Developed in HC110 dillution H. 12 min @ 20C
The film is not thin at all but highlights are almost burned out and needs some extra burning to show some details.
Will try with 11 minute next time which i believe will be close to a good negative for a condenser enlarger.

jan

Steve Kefford
13-Jul-2006, 17:21
So far no experience with Xtol but shot a roll (120) last weekend and exposed it a 6 and 12 asa with the Hoya R72 filter. 6 being closer than 12 with this filter
Developed in HC110 dillution H. 12 min @ 20C ...

Jan,

You might want to reconsider your exposure. I understand the recommended starting point with this filter/film is 25 asa.

Steve

Jan Pedersen
13-Jul-2006, 22:21
Steve,
Off course worth a try but i have also read that 6 being close to a good starting point.
My limited experience so far is that there would be very little informatiion in the shadows exposing as 25 asa.

Steve Kefford
14-Jul-2006, 05:08
Jan,

I have not used a lot of this film, but have a look at http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/eng/maco_film.html. There is a pdf with some development times. I have seen other tables, with more developers, but I can't find it at the moment. Also have a look here (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Doj6&tag=), especially the last posting.

Steve

Jan Pedersen
14-Jul-2006, 20:55
Thanks Steve but i would not want to use specific Rollei Dev's simply because it is going to be to a long time between the use of IR film.
Need to adapt my current favorite dev's (Xtol, Rodinal, HC110 and Pyrocat HD/P)
Will use a few more 400IR film with various settings and hope that something positive will come out at the end.

jan

Steve Kefford
15-Jul-2006, 04:30
Jan,

I agree, but its a good starting point. If you do discover anything relevant, then I would be happy to hear. I have shot a few 5x4 sheets, but not enough to come to any conclusions. As sheets are relativley expensive, I do have some 35mm rolls that I intend to experiment with.

Steve

Jan Pedersen
15-Jul-2006, 21:39
Well, since this thread was a question about Xtol developing time i will give that a try too but, still in 120 format. As you point out Steve 4X5 sheets are expensive why i use the 120 to find a good base.

Karnopp, how did you expose the film you developed in Xtol? I think the thin negative may have been under exposed considering the processing.

Hope somebody with experience will join in.

jan