PDA

View Full Version : A quick hello and a few questions!

Ash
11-Jul-2006, 05:18
Hey all,

Sorry about such a huge post for my first one on the forum!

I've been using RangeFinderForum for a couple months, and recently logged into APUG, but I was recommended here by a few members of RFF.

I'm pretty competent with 35mm (slr, rf) and medium format (tlr) and of course dslr as well. I dug out my mother's very old Perken, Son & Rayment 10x8 Optimus camera which is missing its original lens, and purchased myself a Ross Xpres 8 1/2inch lens for it. Pretty pleased with those results (2 good negs, but I can't contact print until the enlarger is setup).

The camera is huge, and very heavy (see the photo links I've posted http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29431 if you like.. sorry to force you all to migrate to see the images), so I was looking for a 4x5 or 5x7.

First plan, I have basic carpentry/jack-of-all-trades skills and with a few tools I could make myself the camera, but bellows are the main thing I'm missing. If I can't make a wooden-box folding camera, I thought again that a monorail "spares/repair" jobby might be good and then buy some bellows as well.

Whilst looking for bellows and all sorts, I sourced this item on *bay - item number 120006124587. Won it last night for £22 + £10 postage.

Has anyone got any ideas about these Houghton-Butcher (?) "Popular Ensign" reflex cameras? I was hoping this thing would be bigger than it probably will be, but there are no websites with information on the phenomena. I'm hoping it doesnt arrive and be about the size of a kodak brownie!!

Any idea on dimensions and what I should expect?? I'm planning on stripping it down, taking out the reflex system, placing a ground glass (in a carrier - to avoid focus problems) for the back and modifying it for various film carriers (5x4 or 5x7 if they fit). Think this would work? In any case I'll have a nice relic and a set of 'good' condition bellows that I might be able to use for the monorail diy-jobby.

Could I also be pointed in the right direction for any previous DIY jobs, and possible UK LF-parts sites? That is, unless anyone on the forum has carcasses etc?

Any opinions and help with the above is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Ash

medform-norm
11-Jul-2006, 06:33
Ash,
you are very brave to enter LF land in this way but you may find yourself a little disappointed with the Ensign. AFAIK, they were made in two sizes, the largest one for a 3 1/4 by 4 1/4 inch, which is a smallish 9x12 format. If it's the large one you won, you may be able to perform some hacks on it, but what is it you end up with? A box with a bellows that has hardly any front movements like shift, possibly no tilt and no swing and no back movements. Also, the shortest lens you could use on it would be in the range between 100-135mm, if you're lucky/handy. Long lenses will also be a problem as it hardly has any bellows draw and you are confined to finding LF telephoto lenses.
What is not clear to me from what you wrote is if you plan to remove the focal plane shutter as well. If you keep the focal plane shutter, you almost certainly will not be able to enlarge the back to take 5x7 sheet films. Plus you probably need to restore the shutter and replace the cloth, which is a bit tricky if you do it for the first time.
That being said, you may also find that upon arrival, you like the camera the way it is and decide to restore it to working order while scrounging the net for something that fits your requirements in a better way. Large SLR's have a charm of their own.
If you are into DIY projects you may want to look for an MP4 vertical camera on a stand for Polaroids. It may be converted into a portable monorail. Some of them can be had cheap including a nice binoloupe and a reflex viewer.
But no doubt someone else here may have better suggestions than I can offer.
Good luck with your endeavors,
Norm

Nick_3536
11-Jul-2006, 06:47
An Ensign group exists in the UK IIRC. Odds are they might know something about it. I can't find the website right now.

I wouldn't butcher the camera you bought. It'll be easier and likely cheaper in the long run to buy one of the cheaper 4x5 or 5x7 cameras if that's what you want.

Assuming the shutter is working on that Ensign you bought I'd consider sticking a lens on it. If you can rig up some sort of flash sync then it might make an interesting portrait camera. It may not have much bellows but you've got the whole camera body to. Hopefully enough for a portrait lens.

Nick_3536
11-Jul-2006, 06:54
http://www.ensign.demon.co.uk/index.htm

No info on your camera but try emailing them.

Ash
11-Jul-2006, 07:01
Hmm yea you've raised good points.

I'm guessing it's more of a 'wait and see'. I doubt I'll restore it 'as is' though, unless I can keep the reflex mirror and still manage to enlarge the back. It'd be nice to use it waist-level, but I'd be happy with ground glass on the back.

I'll probably take out the shutter mech or at least remove the curtain as it is said to be quite stiff. This leaves me with the option of...in the most basic sense... cutting a bigger hole in the back.

I asked the seller of the size of the camera, but I have yet to be given a reply. There were two very similar reflex cameras, but I probably bought the wrong one, since I was hoping it is in better condition with more parts.

The only MP4 I could find (thanks to an abundance of mpeg4 links) was an ebay auction, brand new, its price? thousands!

Ash
11-Jul-2006, 07:02
Nick, thanks for the link, i spent an hour last night trawling through that site alone. I'll email them now.

EDIT: Also this will probably be for a small amount of portraiture and some landscape work if I find the opportunities to use it.

I'll be going backwards with my posts now though - with the 10x8 I've been using the Ross lens, and the lens cap as a shutter. basically guess-work for the exposure time (along the lines of sunny-16 with more 'modern' cameras) and my development has, again been a little on the unrefined side, but surprisingly the images appear fine on the negs. Are there any links on how to properly calculate exposure times? I'm guessing I'll need that information as a model may blink or move in a 3 second exposure like I used for still life!

MORE EDITING: As for limited movement, I'm planning on replacing the front lens mount and hopefully this will give the x and y axis movement

Gordon Moat
11-Jul-2006, 10:03
Doing a build it yourself, if you decide on that option, might be easier with a kit:

<http://www.benderphoto.com>

I have not seen one of these, though I would imagine if you are good with woodworking you could add in your own modifications as you go. These Bender kits are fairly low cost. The other option would be restoring an old camera.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Jim MacKenzie
11-Jul-2006, 10:17
Welcome!

Why do you need an enlarger to contact print? You just need light. When I was a kid, I held a lamp in my arms above the photographic paper on the floor. The lamp had a 15-watt bulb. I turned the lamp on and counted elephants (seconds :) ). It's low-tech but it will work. Use a clean sheet of glass, or a contact printing frame, to keep the negative in contact with the paper. This is the beauty of 8x10... you don't need to enlarge it to get a nice-sized print.

Have lots of fun with your camera! I just got into 4x5 last month and I'm already tempted to get an 8x10.

Ash
11-Jul-2006, 10:50
YIKES! The price at benderphoto is more costly than finding a cheap option on the 'bay!

In fact their parts look well-priced, for example the monorail and a few other bits, but I'd buy a vintage camera for 1/3 that price.

I might be getting a 'slightly larger than 5x4 WW2 kodak ground camera' from another 'bay member but I'll be paying more on the train fare to collect it!

Thanks for the replies and keep em coming!