PDA

View Full Version : 75mm for Technika V- any recommendations?

claudiocambon
10-Jul-2006, 19:46
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum. I have through my career as a photographer used a 4x5 at various points, and, after a good almost 10 years with the Mamiya 7, find myself again with a view camera, a beautiful Tech V that came with a 135 3.5 Schneider Xenotar. Initial tests have been great, and I'm looking forward to using it more and more.

I was a huge fan of the 50mm on the 6x7cm, and am trying to replicate that with a 75mm on the Technika, and wanted to ask

1) what lenses do you recommend that have the best balance of optics (sharpness, contrast, color rendition) as well as, secondarily, speed and

2) how do I know if the lens will fit onto the camera (once folded up), given how long the rear barrels of some lenses seem?

So, any specific recommendations as well as guidelines for avoiding pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forum briefly for similar threads, but did not find too much specific to my request. Thanks in advance!

Claudio

MJSfoto1956
10-Jul-2006, 20:04
I personally use a 75mm Rodenstock Grandagon N (67mm filter thread) that is an outstanding, all-around lens. My other favorite lens is my Schneider 120 Super Symmar HM (also with 67mm thread).

J Michael Sullivan
MAGNAchrom...

P.S. I second the Mamiya 7 -- 50mm and 80mm are outstanding lenses (albeit a touch on the slow side)

David A. Goldfarb
10-Jul-2006, 23:06
Unless you are looking at old wideangle designs (like a WA Dagor or Berthiot Perigraphe), you won't find a 75mm lens that covers 4x5" and folds inside a Technika.

I've owned a 75mm/f:8 Super-Angulon--a fairly compact lens (49mm filter), pretty sharp, covers the format. You can usually find them for around $350.

I sold it and bought a 75/4.5 Grandagon-N, because I wanted a lens that could cover 6x17cm. It's a much larger lens, but a big improvement over the Super-Angulon in terms of sharpness, contrast, coverage, and of course it's easier to focus wide open.

Both of these lenses are usable on a Technika with a recessed lensboard and the focusing rail in the retracted position.

Here's a shot with the Grandagon-N--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/photo/La'ie.jpg

claudiocambon
11-Jul-2006, 07:41
Thanks for the answers. My other question would then be, are there similar fold up problems on the Technika with newer 135 lenses as well, or are some better than others in that regard?

Ed Richards
11-Jul-2006, 07:52
I have a Technika IV, but it is basically the same body. There are 135-150 modern lenses that will fit, but not wide angles of course. I have a 150 Symmar, and while I looked for excuses to upgrade it, none of my testing with black and white showed that my newer lenses were any sharper. I would keep my old lens and not worry about it. As for folding, I just put the normal lens back on when I want to fold the camera, since getting a foldable wide or long lens means either a really old design or a really small aperture.

Brian Ellis
11-Jul-2006, 08:33
Why are you seemingly so concerned about being able to leave the lens on the camera and fold it up? It takes about ten seconds, and no brains or physical strength, to put a lens on a camera. I don't mean to be snide or disrespectful but IMHO in buying a lens there are many more important factors to consider than whether it can remain on the camera when the camera is folded.

Ed Richards
11-Jul-2006, 08:45
I understand the fold up issue - if you have a Technika with a cammed lens, it is two cameras in one. As a view/field camera, keeping a lens in it does not matter. But it is also the worlds best rangerfinder camera, ready to shoot at a moment's notice. If the lens is on the rail and the infinity stops are up, you can pop open the camera and be shooting in a hurry. It is also nice to be able to fold it up without removing the lens if you need to use it as a club. Do not try that with your Sinar or Ebony.!

Frank Petronio
11-Jul-2006, 09:00
I used a nice late model 90mm f/6.8 Angulon from the early 1970s - it folded up easily and was as sharp as any modern glass, albeit without any extra coverage. But for quick RF shooting it maybe the best handheld wideangle "rugged" duty lens for a Technika.

You might be able to fit a current model Rodenstock 75/6.8 Grandagon N into a Technika if you use the 25mm recessed board and swap the standard lens cap for a thin screw in metal cap, but I won't promise. I do get one to fit in a Crown Graphic though...

But if you really want the ultimate image, don't mess around and just get the later models Schnieders or Rodenstocks. The Grandagon f/4.5 series is excellent, although bulky. The Schnieder XLs are even larger.

Ron Marshall
11-Jul-2006, 21:54
Another vote for the Grandagon N 75mm f4.5, sharp and contrasty, but heavy.

claudiocambon
11-Jul-2006, 22:25
Thanks for the great responses. I have yet another question. On Ebay I saw a Grandagon 75 4.5 in a Sinar shutter. How expensive is it to take it out of that, and put it in a Copal shutter, and who does that kind of work that anyone can recommend? Thanks again!

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jul-2006, 00:08
You mean in a Sinar DB mount, without a shutter? The Sinar shutter is a behind the lens shutter. Unless you have the shutter in hand, it's probably not worth the cost of the conversion.

Phong
12-Jul-2006, 05:50
Why are you seemingly so concerned about being able to leave the lens on the camera and fold it up? It takes about ten seconds, and no brains or physical strength, to put a lens on a camera. I don't mean to be snide or disrespectful but IMHO in buying a lens there are many more important factors to consider than whether it can remain on the camera when the camera is folded.

I also prefer lenses that can be folded into my Technika; it is not an absolute requirement but it sits pretty high on my priority list. I sometimes shoot in inclement conditions (snow storms, ocean spray) and rather not expose the inside of the bellows to avoid having to clean and dry it afterwards. Also, when I want to go out light, often it means just one lens, and it is much more convenient to have the lens already mounted and inside the camera than having to carry the lens separately. And as Ed Richards mentioned, having the lens already mounted makes it more conducive to certain kinds of shooting (handheld or street shooting), especially coupled with the rangefinder.

Sometimes the issue is one of the deciding factors for me, though certainly not the sole consideration. For example, in choosing between two 240mm lenses, I kept the Geminar W 240mm and sold my Fujinon A 240mm because the Germinar can be folded into my Technika. The fact that the Germinar covers 8x10 certailny helps, but in this particular case, I was looking for a lens to use with the Technika, so decided in favor of the Germinar primarily because it can be folded into my Technika.

- Phong

jhogan
12-Jul-2006, 10:23
Claudio: As alternative, may I suggest the SS80XL on a recessed board. Fits perfectly folded- I leave it mounted just about all the time, with the front cap on, rear cap off... there's no safer place than the interior of a Technika.