PDA

View Full Version : Eskofot 150mm lens: Good Enough to Mount in a Shutter?

Michael Heald
10-Jul-2006, 14:35
Hello! As I've mentioned in a previous thread, I've been playing with a 16x20 hyperfocal camera. To work out the bugs (both in my ideas about the camera and in ideas I have about negatives for contact printing) I thought I would try 8x10 first. I picked up a 150mm Eskofot Ultragon lens rather inexpensively.
As I thought about this, I realized that this lens might make a nice complement to my 4x5 set that I use with my Tachihara. I have a 90mm and 210mm.
PreciseParts can make an adapter for about $60.00 that would allow me the screw the Eskofot into my Ilex #3 shutter that I have with my 210mm lens.
I'm curious as to folks opinions of the Eskofot and whether it can make excellent 4x5 negatives and justify putting it into a shutter. Best regards.

Mike

Nick_3536
10-Jul-2006, 14:43
You've got the lens so why not just try it? Use slow film or shoot in less then bright light and the lack of a shutter won't be a big killer.

$60 doesn't sound like much but you should be able to pick up an used 150mm for $200 or maybe less. It'll be faster then the Agfa. Have it's own shutter. Have much better resale value.

Dan Fromm
10-Jul-2006, 15:24
Search on usenet. The Eskofot Ultragon was made by Staeble, Agfa's lens maker. The same lens was sold as a Helioprint and Repromaster.

I had one years ago, never used it. IIRC, the late Steve Grimes remarked "nothing to write home about" about 'em in a discussion on rec.photo.equipment.large-format. Other comments were more positive.

So ask the lens what it can do, and then tell us. When you tell us, tell us what standard you compared it to. BTW, $60 for an adapter is cheap.

Ernest Purdum
10-Jul-2006, 19:07
I assume you are speaking of an adapter to mount the Ultragon in front of your #3 Ilex. If so, you will want to be sure that the shutter is not causing vignetting. The adapter should place the lens quite close to the shutter blades.

Jim Galli
10-Jul-2006, 21:22
Yes, there's not much out there that's sharper if it's like my little Eskofot 135 I played with on 5X7 a couple of years ago.

MJSfoto1956
11-Jul-2006, 04:34
I purchased an Eskofot for my copy camera about two years ago and my initial tests revealed that indeed it was "nothing to write home about". I ditched it and replaced it with Rodenstock Rodagons which have proved to be plenty sharp for copy work.

NOTE: I would assume that ANY copy lens will be a touch soft when focused at infinity anyway. Most of these lenses were optimized for 10:1 to 5:1. "Macro" versions are optimized for 4:1 to 1:4

In short, I wouldn't get my hopes up. As other posters have suggested, do some tests without the shutter first to see if it works for you. It "may" just be a keeper!

J Michael Sullivan
MAGNAchrom...