PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Holder question

Steve Feldman
7-Jul-2006, 10:55
Hi group,

I have purchased several 5x7 film holders. They're in fair shape. All will need re-taping. No big deal there. Cosmetically. they're really ugly. So, the question is: Paint 'em flat black? Leave 'em alone? Furniture wax/polish/silicone to help 'em slide into the spring back? Some of the dark slides are a bit tight. Silicone?

Thanks for your assistance.

Michael Daily
7-Jul-2006, 11:50
First you might check that the slides are the right size. When I bought a bunch a couple of years ago, the slides were not all the right size. In the old days there was no fixed standard size. Also check that the holders fit in the camera back. I had several that did not fit into my Seneca 5x7. As I got rid of them before I got my Deardorff, I don't know whether they would have been a problem there too. Paint has to do with how they look and may provide some small protection from the elements. Wax and silicone may get into the camera and end up on the film. For that reason, I have not done it, but if I were, I would probably use wax (furniture polish--carnuba wax or lemon oil). Hope this helps.
Michael

Hi group,

I have purchased several 5x7 film holders. They're in fair shape. All will need re-taping. No big deal there. Cosmetically. they're really ugly. So, the question is: Paint 'em flat black? Leave 'em alone? Furniture wax/polish/silicone to help 'em slide into the spring back? Some of the dark slides are a bit tight. Silicone?

Thanks for your assistance.

Capocheny
7-Jul-2006, 12:20
Steve,

If you're going to paint them... use flat paint for sure!

If the darkslides are tight going in... yes, check to ensure they're the correct ones for the holder. But, touching up just the edges of the holder with a good furniture polish won't hurt things.

I also bought a bunch of 5x7 holders that had tight slides... the furniture polish from Johnsons Wax did the trick for mine. :)

Cheers

Steve Feldman
8-Jul-2006, 14:09
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Jim Noel
8-Jul-2006, 19:19
Sticky darkslides respond wonderfully to a very light coating of beeswax along the edge. If you can see it after application, you have applied too much.

John Kasaian
8-Jul-2006, 22:21
Bees wax as Jim Noel suggests works great. Pledge furniture wax works too---spray it on a lint free cloth and apply it to the edges of your dark slides. Butchers wax works nicely too, but bees wax is the best. The chapel at the hospital where I help out gave me a bunch of beeswax candle stubs a couple of years ago. If theres a church or chapel near you its worth asking.

I'd avoid painting film holders if at all possible---I tried it once and found it to be a PITA but of course YMMV.