PDA

View Full Version : View Camera Magazine

steve simmons
7-Jul-2006, 09:49
View Camera has started what is essentially a Reader's Gallery in each issue. It is called Four Photographs From ............We are looking for submissions for this section. Each selected photographer will be asked to provide a statement about their work and technical info about the photographs. This section is intended to give people who have not had a lot of public exposure for their work a place to be seen.

View Camera is also considering starting a gathering of large format photographers each October somewhere on the Eastern Side of the Sierras, perhaps Lee Vining. There is a lot to shoot in the area and the gathering might be a Thursday through Sunday afternoon. There is camping in the area and a few motels. We are wondering if there would be any interest. The purpose would be to share and show images, and take field trips to Bodie, Lee Vining Canyon, Tioga Pass and perhaps down to the Alabama Hills, etc. We are wondering if there would be interest in such a gathering?

steve simmons

Greg Miller
7-Jul-2006, 09:55
I like the "Four Photographs From ..." idea and look forward to seeing the images selected (and the relatd text).

I also like the gathering idea but would personally have a hard time making it from New York very often. Maybe moving the site around the coutry would help those of us not local to the Sierra.

Capocheny
7-Jul-2006, 10:31
Hi Steve,

Like Greg, I also like the idea of the Four Photographs From... but, why not take it one step further and have the photog describe how the image was taken as well. In other words, the movements used to accomplish the task.

Some people may find it tedious but I'll bet there are LOTS of new LF photographers out there who would find such an article incredibly enlightening from a "learning perspective." OTH, I'll also surmise that there are some experienced users who may find a new tip or two in the process. So, all in all, it'd be informative to say the least. :)

As for a trip... I also think that's a great idea but, like Greg, I'd find it a challenge to travel up to that neck of the woods. I'd also think it a good idea to move the venue around in order to make it more accessible to a greater number of people. Look at it this way... those people in a particular locale, after attending it once (maybe twice) aren't going to want to continue attending the same location over and over and over.

Just my $.02 worth! :)

Hope you're recovering nicely, Steve!

Cheers

Brian Vuillemenot
7-Jul-2006, 10:54
Hi Steve,

The reader's gallery sounds like a great idea; perhaps I'll send in some of my work. In what format would you like the submissions- as prints, or are digital files O.K.?

As for the informal workshop/ get together, Per Volquartz organizes one just like it in the eastern Sierras every October. I went last year, and found it to be a very positive experience. Perhaps the View Camera workshop/ get together could combine with this one? Alternatively, as some others have mentioned, perhaps it could be in a different location every year to accomodate people from all over the country. How about New Mexico, or southern Utah?

Eric Biggerstaff
7-Jul-2006, 10:56
Steve,

I like both ideas. I enjoy photographing the Eastern side and would try to make such a gathering for sure.

I would also like to submitt some images for consideration, so I think this is great.

Thanks,

Peter Collins
7-Jul-2006, 11:35
Both good ideas.

David Karp
7-Jul-2006, 11:37
Great ideas Steve. Feeling better?

Ron Marshall
7-Jul-2006, 11:54
Both are good ideas.

steve simmons
7-Jul-2006, 12:48
Yes, my recovery is surprising people but as one friend said that just means I am a tough old goat!

Our submission guidelines are on our web page but I prefer prints or transparencies for the first look rather than digital files.

We've actually started the Four Photographs from... series in the May issue. There is another such piece in theJuly issue that is now coming out.

thanks

steve

Michael Jones
7-Jul-2006, 12:59
Yes to both ideas.

Mike

Charles Hohenstein
7-Jul-2006, 13:13
View Camera is also considering starting a gathering of large format photographers each October somewhere on the Eastern Side of the Sierras, perhaps Lee Vining.

What and where are the Sierras? Is that a mountain range?

Michael Graves
7-Jul-2006, 13:16
Where are the Sierras? You're not from around here are you? They're the west coast mountain range in the vast majority of St. Ansel's photographs.

Ken Lee
7-Jul-2006, 13:24
What and where are the Sierras? Is that a mountain range?

Sierra is a Spanish word, meaning "saw". The mountains are jagged, and apparently reminded the Spanish settlers of the teeth of a saw.

Robert Skeoch
7-Jul-2006, 14:39
Both ideas are great... I've been to Per's gathering in the past and plan to go again this year. It's a good chance to get together.
-Rob Skeoch

Robert A. Zeichner
7-Jul-2006, 15:27
Steve, that sounds like a great idea. I hope your recovery is progressing well.

Harley Goldman
7-Jul-2006, 15:30
Both ideas are excellent!

Bruce Pottorff
7-Jul-2006, 16:15
Steve
As a long time subscriber, let me thank you for providing such an outstanding resource. Count me in for a submission to Reader's Gallery, and, especially, the Lee Vining gathering.

Scott Knowles
7-Jul-2006, 16:30
Where are the Sierras? You're not from around here are you? They're the west coast mountain range in the vast majority of St. Ansel's photographs.

The Sierra Mountains aren't a "coast" range, it's part of Klamath and Sierra mountain range and the divide between the basin and range system of the Great Basin and the Great Valley of California. The Coast range is a distinct formation west of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley. And many of Ansel Adam's photos were taken from the east side of the Sierras in the Great Basin. Small item but worth clarifying if someone expects to visit the Sierra Mountains and expect it's a coast range.

Marko
7-Jul-2006, 17:28

Not to sound smug, but "www" means World Wide Web. I would be way more surprised if we were all "from around here" than if we weren't.

On the global note, I like the idea too. Especially since I am "from around here". Or so.

:)

Allen Rumme
7-Jul-2006, 18:43
Both excellent ideas Steve!

Jim MacKenzie
7-Jul-2006, 19:21
One of Ansel's pet peeves was that people call them the Sierras. "Sierra" is plural already. :)

I like the Four Photos From... feature idea, and would be interested in attending a gathering, although my location in Saskatchewan makes it something I'd have to plan to do.

Charles Hohenstein
7-Jul-2006, 19:49

Thanks--I always wondered whether all those unnecessary rocks in his pictures had a name. :)

matthew blais
9-Jul-2006, 12:26
Both sound good to me Steve. I'm in So Cal (Riverside) so not too far for me.
I also (and will be again) have attended Per's Owens Valley get together and the next one is scheduled for October of this year.

Matt

Wayne
9-Jul-2006, 16:59
The Sierra Mountains aren't a "coast" range, it's part of Klamath and Sierra mountain range and the divide between the basin and range system of the Great Basin and the Great Valley of California. The Coast range is a distinct formation west of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Valley. And many of Ansel Adam's photos were taken from the east side of the Sierras in the Great Basin. Small item but worth clarifying if someone expects to visit the Sierra Mountains and expect it's a coast range.

Sheesh.

Not all of California is actually on the West Coast either (very little is) , but its still referred to as the West Coast by most people east of it. I dont think Michael was shooting for absolute geological accuracy (he didnt say it was the Coast Range).

Anyway, a fine idea on Four Photographs.

Wayne

Turner Reich
9-Jul-2006, 19:57
I liked the 4 photographs of John Anderson and would definately like to attend the get together. I have not been anywhere except Yosemite and and hope to go to Mono Lake sometime soon also.

tr

John Kasaian
9-Jul-2006, 21:56
Great to hear that you're feeling better! I think both are fine ideas.

steve simmons
10-Jul-2006, 11:03
Thanks for the feedback. We've already started the Four Photogrpahs from.... secxtion in the May issue and there is another in the July which is now going out. We will keep this going.

In order to qualify the photograher can not have a book out and can have exhibited only locally in libraries, etc.

We are open to submissions.

Regarding the Eastern Sierra gathering I will see if I can organize one for the third week in Oct this year.

steve

gary892
10-Jul-2006, 15:45
Steve, both ideas sound great to me. It just so happens I will be in Bishop area at the end of July this year and I would most likely be able to make a gathering in the fall.

Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Gary Fairchild

Barry F
11-Jul-2006, 06:04
Steve,

I'd love to get involved and subscribe but, once again, here in rip-off UK the cost of subscribing to the magazine is the equivalent of 76 dollars (via Robert White)compared to 40 dollars in the USA & Canada, and I'm not prepared to pay 80% more for the same thing.

In this day and age, surely there must be a simpler, better way to distribute such a product other than posting a copy to one agent who then has to post it on to the subscriber? What happened to the electronic age of information distribution? PDF files, etc?

Barry

PS Nice book. It's given me a good understanding of LF.

steve simmons
11-Jul-2006, 06:20
I will explore the possibility of posting the entire issue as a PDF on our web site and allowing subscribers to download it.

thanks

steve

Barry F
11-Jul-2006, 06:28
Thanks Steve. That would be a great help. I've just noticed that you can buy s subscription in the States from independent companies for under $30? Time to emigrate methinks!

Barry