PDA

View Full Version : filters for several lens sizes

Turner Reich
6-Jul-2006, 19:39
Has anyone made a device that can use one filter size for several lenses of different sizes? It's expensive to buy filters for several lenses. How would it work with polarizers? Is possible or practial to do this?

tr

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jul-2006, 19:44
One useful thing is a holder for 3x3" gel filters that clips on the lens with spring clips. I bought one used made by Voss for $15 or so. This is very handy for all my odd sized LF lenses.

Calumet sells something like this for 4x4" filters, but the spring arrangement is a bit different, and there's also the Lee Gel Snap, which uses a rubber band to hold the filter holder in place.

If your filters have standard threads, of course there are step up rings so you could adapt your lenses all to one size, or you could get a square filter system that uses adapters.

Ralph Barker
6-Jul-2006, 19:57
I use a combination of 100mm (4") gels and conventional glass filters. The glass filters are in a couple of size steps: 77mm that handles the bulk of my lenses, and a few 105mm filters that fit the lenses with 95mm and 105mm filter threads. In most cases, I lean toward the glass filters as they work nicely with compendium shades.

reellis67
6-Jul-2006, 19:59
I use the larger size filters and then use step rings to fit them to smaller diameter lenses so that I only have to get one set of filters that can be used on all my lenses.

- Randy

Vick Vickery
6-Jul-2006, 20:21
I have gel filters in 3" square that I use with a spring clip holder like the Voss that was mentioned earlier and I also use alot of series VI and VII filters with slip-on adapters for most of my lenses; most of my lenses will accept series VI filters and I have VI to VII adapters also so just about any of my filters can be used on any of my lenses somehow!

Ryan Hill
7-Jul-2006, 07:50
That is one argument for getting all your lenses with the same size front thread. ;-)

The Cokin P holder or Lee Holders are another option. They are the best choices if you use grads. Also you can use a standard square filter for solid color filters like a warming. For a polarizer, you can get a sproket model that will fit the Cokin or Lee holder. Check Singh Ray to see them.

One set of filters can do it all. All of my lenses have a 67mm front and I have a Cokin P holder with filters, then a seperate B+W polarizer and 81B for those time they are the only filter you need.

Bruce Watson
7-Jul-2006, 10:26
I use the larger size filters and then use step rings to fit them to smaller diameter lenses so that I only have to get one set of filters that can be used on all my lenses.

Yup. That's how I do it. Step up rings. Leave them on the lens full time, use an appropriate snap cap to keep out the dusk when in the pack. I standardized on 67mm filters as my biggest lens needs them.

So, a single set of 67mm filters, and step up rings for the lenses that need them. Works well for me. YMMV.

Robert Skeoch
9-Jul-2006, 11:59
I also settled on 67mm filters and used step up rings on all the lenses. After a while, and after upgrading a couple lenses, I relized all my lens had 52mm threads anyway. So I switched to 52mm filters and they fit all the lens. Of course I don't carry many lens, just a 240 g-claron, and Fuji c 300mm and 450mm.

I think the step up rings work for many and are less costly.