PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock-itis?

brian reed
6-Jul-2006, 14:43
I have a 90mm 6.8 Caltar II-N mc lens that I have just noticed small white specs under the front lens element. they appear to be all along the inside part of the glass that would be in contact with the internal part of lens. I've heard of Schneideritis, but not with Rodenstock(Caltar).
Just wondering if there is a cure or is this something I should worry about? I've used the lens and haven't noticed any image quality issues.

thanks BR

www.brianreedphotography.com

Dan Fromm
6-Jul-2006, 14:50
I have a 90mm 6.8 Caltar II-N mc lens that I have just noticed small white specs under the front lens element. they appear to be all along the inside part of the glass that would be in contact with the internal part of lens. I've heard of Schneideritis, but not with Rodenstock(Caltar).
Just wondering if there is a cure or is this something I should worry about? I've used the lens and haven't noticed any image quality issues.

thanks BR

www.brianreedphotography.comNo cure, no ill effects except on resale value. Happens to Zeiss and Boyer lenses too.

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jul-2006, 15:54
Canon, too. It's kind of unfair to pin this on Schneider. I think it's just more noticable on Super-Angulons because of the way the lens elements are beveled.

John Bowen
6-Jul-2006, 17:06
I've read that some of the lenses with the worst Schneideritis are Rodenstocks! Go figure!

John

Capocheny
6-Jul-2006, 19:02
Brian,

If you've been in LF long enough... eventually, everybody comes across one of these lenses! :)

Nothing to worry about... just continue shooting with it since it's really not going to affect your images!

Cheers

JW Dewdney
6-Jul-2006, 21:04
I forgot which of the Caltar's are Rodenstocks and which are Schneiders... but you could WELL have a schneider... though I THINK the schneiders are the S model... can anyone confirm or deny?

Oren Grad
6-Jul-2006, 21:29
The 90/6.8 Caltar II-N is a Rodenstock Grandagon.

Oren Grad
6-Jul-2006, 21:32
though I THINK the schneiders are the S model... can anyone confirm or deny?

The Caltar S-II series is Schneider Symmar-S, but the older Caltar Type S is the original Rodenstock Sironar.