PDA

View Full Version : Looking to interview photographer...

MJSfoto1956
6-Jul-2006, 04:11
Dear Gang,

I'm looking for recommendations on photographers to interview for a human-interest article I'm writing for an online magazine. Here are the requirements:

- must live in Northern New Mexico area (e.g. Santa Fe, Taos)
- must primarily be an art photographer (as opposed to commercial photographer). Dedicated, advanced amateurs also welcomed.
- must primarily use medium or large format equipment in their art (no Canon, Nikon, etc)
- can work in digital or film or combination, doesn't matter
- must *not* be already famous (i.e. no Paul Caponigro's!)

That's about it.
Looking forward to your recommendations.

J Michael Sullivan

QCC
6-Jul-2006, 08:43
William Clift in Santa Fe would be very interesting, however he many be too well known for your project. He is also a very private person and may not be interested in being interviewed. There is also a direct tie to Caponigro so that along may rule him out. Good luck with the project and when it is done please share a link to the story.

steve simmons
6-Jul-2006, 08:54
Call Bostick and Sullivan in Santa Fe. They have a number of customers working in alt processes in the area that are doing good work but are not terribly well known.

steve simmons

Brian Ellis
6-Jul-2006, 08:56
Don Kirby lives in Sante Fe and meets your other requirements. He's reasonably well known to other large format photographers but I wouldn't call him "famous," at least not at Paul Caponigro's level.

MJSfoto1956
6-Jul-2006, 16:11
Don Kirby looks like an ideal candidate. I just sent him an email to see if he is interested.

BTW: Does anyone know if Bill Smith of Taos is still active?
He used to lead the Taos Institute of Art's photography courses back in the 90s.
I enjoyed my time with him and his work was impressive.
Unfortunately TIA is no longer in business and Googling Bill Smith is hopeless...

J Michael Sullivan

davidb
6-Jul-2006, 16:19
Alan Ross lives outside of Santa Fe, and Edward Ranney lives in Santa Fe and both fit your requirements.