PDA

View Full Version : Aristo Safelight Recommendation

Michael Newberry
5-Jul-2006, 12:42
Has anyone used the Aristo cold-cathode safelight? How would you rate it? In particular, how does it compare with the Thomas duplex unit?

I am also curious if anyone has used the Aristo "dual" yellow/red safelight and how it performs.

Thanks,

Michael

s preston Jones
5-Jul-2006, 18:09
I use the yellow for all my B&W printing. I have used it for about 15 or more years. I aim it at the white ceiling (7'5")(4" from ceiling) and it does a good job. I tested it using the standard pre-exposed sheet method and I can get over 5 minutes without fog. I have a friend who uses the dual and uses the red when doing specific processes which require the red safe light. I use a Thomas where I teach and the vanes must be almost closed so as not to fog the paper. Many people do like it but I would not use one at home. I am sure others have different opinions.

Preston

Michael Newberry
5-Jul-2006, 22:04
Thanks. I am used to the Thomas unit, which puts out a *lot* of light. Do you think the yellow tube of 1 Aristo "dual" light would be adequate at around 8--10 feet?

Michael

s preston Jones
6-Jul-2006, 06:24
My darkroom is 9'9"x13' and the one tube is is very adequate. In my previous darkroom the light was tube down and I built a box around it to add diffusers to reduce the brightness of the light. Ceiling height for me determined whether to hang

Preston the light tube down or tube toward the ceiling.

Michael Newberry
6-Jul-2006, 15:25
Preston,

That's about my darkwoom size. Thanks for the valuable info.

Michael