PDA

View Full Version : Selenium Toning WT paper.. What dilution?

brian steinberger
4-Jul-2006, 12:24
I selenium toned some Ilford MG warmtone FB glossy paper last night, and I didn't get that deep purple brown color that I saw in the Toning Book. I'm using Kodak RST at 1:19 for 6 minutes at 75 degrees. This is the normal combonation I use on Ilford Multigrade IV NB paper and it works beautifully for cooling off the greenish cast. But warmtone paper is supposed to tone easier. I'm using zonal pro developer. I'm wondering what dilution and length of time and or developer anyone else uses with Ilford warmtone VC FB paper to acheive deep brownish purple colors.

Mark Fisher
4-Jul-2006, 16:44
I use it a bit stonger to get the effects you are talking about...like 1:9...with MGWT for about 5-ish minutes (I tone by appearance so I don't know the exact time)

Glenn Thoreson
4-Jul-2006, 17:38
I agree. You either need a stronger solution or more time. Once it goes, it seems to go fast, in my experience. I use it at 1:20 on MG Warmtone Semi Matte. I have to keep an eye on it because I don't want it to change color. I use Kodak Brown Toner to get the color I want, after the selenium.

Eric Biggerstaff
4-Jul-2006, 20:51
I print mostly on Ilford MGFB Warmtone and use RST diluted 1+10 for only 1 - 2 minutes at about 70F. This paper will go through a wide range of tones and I find it tones VERY easily.

Here is an easy test. Take a work print and cut / rip it into 10 squares. One the back of each number them 1 - 10. Wet them so they are ready for toning and then dump all 10 into the toner at the same time. Set your timer for 10 minutes and start agitating them, then at the completion of 1 minute, remove the square number 1, do this for each square all the way through 10. I then reassemble the print on the viewing stand in my sink and check the various tones. You can select the one that best matches your taste in color. This allows you to keep one constant ( dilution) and only vary the time to get the tone you want. Wash the pieces and dry them if you want and then keep them as a reference for later.

Just a simple test, you may of already done this, but it does help.

Good luck,

Eric