PDA

View Full Version : shutter problems, Schneider 150

Neil Chapel
2-Jul-2006, 20:04
I recently acquired a Linhof Technika with a Schneider lens. Everything is in beautiful condition and appears in working order, except for the shutter. At speeds of 1/10 and slower, the shutter opens but fails to close. At times it will close on its own, but far slower than the shutter speed indicated. It appears to be working at faster speeds, but I'm not confident that the speeds are accurate.

Is this a common problem? Can I fix it or must it be done by a pro?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to participating in this forum as I learn large format photography.

Ernest Purdum
2-Jul-2006, 20:32
This is a common problem, particularly with units which have been out of use for awhile. It would be a good idea to have the shutter given a "CLA" (clean, lubricate and adjust). Carol Miller of Flutot's camera repair in Whittier, California does good work at reasonable cost. Although home remedies sometimes work, for awhile at least, for the long term reliability of your shutter a CLA is a good small investment.

Lazybones
2-Jul-2006, 20:34
The Copal shutter for my 150mm Apo Symmar-L did this once. In my case, it was under warranty. Send it in for a CLA, and have them check speeds. Tell the shop what the shutter is doing, most likely they can easily repair it. This is not something I would attempt myself, personally. The way I see it, a CLA is standard procedure before putting any used lens into serious duty anyway, so I wouldn't consider it a loss. Good luck to you!

Bob Gentile
2-Jul-2006, 20:43
I agree with Lazybones that a professional CLA should be done before putting a used lens/shutter into service. Also agree with Ernest that Carol Miller at Flutot's (http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/) is the one to send it to. She's very competent and her prices are very reasonable.

Brian Ellis
3-Jul-2006, 07:45
Hopefully a CLA will do it. However, when I had that problem with an older shutter on a Schneider Xenar lens the shutter wouldn't open and close at consistent slow speeds even after a CLA. Apparently the shutter hadn't been used in years. If this is something you can return within a certain time period then I'd notify the seller of the problem and make sure you can return the lens after the return period just in case the CLA takes too long and doesn't work. If everything was described as in excellent working condition I'd also ask the seller to pay for the CLA.

Lazybones
3-Jul-2006, 11:58
Just FYI, a new Copal shutter will probably run you about $200. Depending on the repairability of the shutter, condition of the glass, and how much you paid for it, this may be an option to keep in mind.

Neil Chapel
3-Jul-2006, 16:20
This is the info I was looking for. The lens is in excellent condition, it just hasn't been used for several years. An experienced LF guy I know suggested I try working the shutter a couple dozen times to see if it will loosen up, but even then I wouldn't be sure of the speed accuracy.

Thanks, everyone.
N

Bob Gentile
3-Jul-2006, 18:02
"... An experienced LF guy I know suggested I try working the shutter a couple dozen times to see if it will loosen up, but even then I wouldn't be sure of the speed accuracy..."If you send it to Carol Miller for a CLA, she'll return it with a list of "marked versus actual" shutter speeds. I presume other competent techs will do the same.

Alan Davenport
8-Jul-2006, 11:26
A professional CLA is the best way and probably won't break your bank account. OTOH, if money's tight or if you like to experiment, do a search here for DIY CLA's using napthalene lighter fluid. I bought a cheap lens on eBay with a stuck shutter, did the lighter fluid thing and also re-oiled the bearing ends of the gear shafts by using a toothpick to apply microdrops of oil. All of the speeds came back -- accurately -- and have remained accurate for several years (and counting.)

The one exception to using the lighter fluid treatment would be an older shutter that has non-metalic blades. I've never seen one, but I understand some older shutters used fiber-based blades on the aperture, which might be ruined by lighter fluid. You probably don't have one of those either, but it's worth keeping in mind.