PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Polarizer--adhesive failure

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jul-2006, 19:36
Anyone ever have this problem?--

The adhesive in my Linhof 70mm polarizer completely turned to goo and made a mess of one pocket of a filter wallet. This is not the adhesive that holds the glass/polarizer/glass sandwich together, but the adhesive that holds the glass and the anodized aluminum retaining ring in (unlike the other 70mm filters, this retaining ring doesn't actually hold the glass in place under spring tension).

Fortunately the old adhesive all came off with warm soapy water--which seems a bit odd. I wouldn't expect a water soluble adhesive to be used in this application. I glued it all back together with Devcon 2-ton Epoxy, and it seems to be holding up nicely.

Capocheny
2-Jul-2006, 21:44
David,

And, the sad thing is, "I doubt you only paid $10 for the filter in the first place!"

Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
3-Jul-2006, 00:09
I purchased it used at a reasonable price. I've actually picked up two of these second hand in lots with other Linhof 70mm filters, one a particularly good deal because it was misidentified as an ND filter. I sold off the spare. New Linhof polarizers, though, are astonishingly expensive.

Capocheny
3-Jul-2006, 00:19
I purchased it used at a reasonable price. I've actually picked up two of these second hand in lots with other Linhof 70mm filters, one a particularly good deal because it was misidentified as an ND filter. I sold off the spare. New Linhof polarizers, though, are astonishingly expensive.

But, David, that is EXACTLY my point. It's not as if these filters are inexpensive to begin with. So, one would think they'd be put together with materials that were a bit higher in quality as opposed to something that would melt in your camera bag!

I know I wouldn't be impressed as I'm sure you're not...

But, at the end of the day, I'm glad you were able to clean up the mess and fix the filter. :)

Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
3-Jul-2006, 11:07
But, David, that is EXACTLY my point. It's not as if these filters are inexpensive to begin with. So, one would think they'd be put together with materials that were a bit higher in quality as opposed to something that would melt in your camera bag!

Yes, my point as well, otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it in the first place!

Capocheny
3-Jul-2006, 11:32
Yes, my point as well, otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it in the first place!

David,

I like the saying under your name, "Whatever!" :)

Cheers