PDA

View Full Version : Framing for shows

Ed Richards
1-Jul-2006, 06:03
I am curious about views on framing for shows. While most of my images are about the same aspect ratio, i.e., pretty close to the 4x5 ratio, some are cropped wider or taller. The question is whether you go with similar borders on the mats and different sized frames, or use a standard size frame and different borders.

I am also interested in what you use for backer board for larger images, say framed size 28x22.

Colin Graham
1-Jul-2006, 06:29
I've always used similar borders with custom sized frames, otherwise it always looked kind of 'off the rack' to me. Course I'm pretty anal. How big is the difference? As for 22x28 it seems like 4 ply would work but have never framed that big. Maybe 8 ply if you have the room?

Ed Richards
1-Jul-2006, 06:43
> Course I'm pretty anal.

I think that goes without saying if you are a successful LF photographer.:-)

I was thinking about 1/4 foamcore to avoid sagging. You can get the frames with different profiles, up to an inch deep for stretched canvas.

Colin Graham
1-Jul-2006, 06:44
Actually I take that back. I did some 24x30 seven years ago with 4 ply backing, 4 ply mat and 4 ply overmat and they're still flat.

Colin Graham
1-Jul-2006, 06:47
[QUOTE=Ed RichardsI was thinking about 1/4 foamcore to avoid sagging. [/QUOTE]

I've had a had time finding foamcore in anything archival, and it always seemed like the foam would outgas, but then that pesky anal thing comes into play here too!

Allen Rumme
1-Jul-2006, 06:51
Ed,

Consistency of frame size can be a help in sequencing and hanging a visually appealing exhibition. I employ a "standard" width top border for each of the sizes in which I make prints. This permits the tops of the images to line up when the frames are hung at the same height. As for backing material, I've found that coroplast is an excellent product. It is a corrugated plastic material that is strong, light, and can be obtained in different thicknesses. It works just fine with a 22x28 frame.

J D Clark
1-Jul-2006, 09:45
I am curious about views on framing for shows. While most of my images are about the same aspect ratio, i.e., pretty close to the 4x5 ratio, some are cropped wider or taller. The question is whether you go with similar borders on the mats and different sized frames, or use a standard size frame and different borders.

I am also interested in what you use for backer board for larger images, say framed size 28x22.

I would also recommend a common size frame for purposes of a more consistent appearance if you're exhibiting more than one photo. That said, if the aspect ratio is vastly different, say more panoramic, then a custom frame may be better for that one photo -- but then I would add that in a multiple print exhibition you'll need to apply a little more thought to make the photos blend harmoniously together. Having common frame sizes also eases the burden of storing supplies if you frame them yourself.

For larger prints, I mount on 4-ply with a 4-ply overmat, and then slip a 1/4 inch foamcore into the frame behind the mount board. The prints are very stable that way, and if you ever want to put a print in a clear bag for a bin, the two 4-ply boards are easy to accomodate.

John Clark

www.johndclark.com (http://www.johndclark.com)

Capocheny
1-Jul-2006, 11:41
Ed,

I'd also concur with a consistently sized frame rather than the contrary. IMHO, it gives the show a much greater visual appeal and a "cleaner look and feel" to the exhibit.

But, I've also been to shows where the frame size has been changed relative to the image and border sizes.

To each their own. :)

Cheers