PDA

View Full Version : Unusual 6x18 View Camera

Sheldon N
30-Jun-2006, 20:41
I was curious if anyone had ever seen a camera similar to this one. I'm borrowing it from a friend (originally from Taiwan) and he obtained it from the original maker of the camera (in Taiwan). From what I understand, it's a custom design/production and only a few have been made.

It's a 120 roll film camera, with a 6x18 cm frame. The ground glass is detacheable and the film back clips on in its place. There is rise/fall/swing/tilt on the front standard, and rise/fall/swing on the rear standard. It will collapse to almost zero bellows extension and with the dual extending rails goes out to just over 300mm of extension. The focus is geared with a separate lock, and all other movements are free. Build quality is really good, surprisingly so for a custom made camera.

I can't recall ever seeing a view camera like this - is there anything else similar out there?

Oren Grad
30-Jun-2006, 21:01
Compare to Chet Hanchett's V-Pan 617 (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/vpan/vpan.html).

GPS
1-Jul-2006, 04:45
It seems to be a very well made camera. The double rail is a good solution giving it more rigidity and precision. The deeply sinken lens board placed so far behind the lens standard can be a source of problem with short focal lengths - a pity on a camera that, as you say, can be folded almost to zero bellows length. Otherwise the design is solid.

Sheldon N
1-Jul-2006, 08:28
How would the deeply recessed lens board negatively affect the short focal lengths? Is it because the tilt rotation point would be off axis with the lens itself? I could see how that would give an unusual response - not quite base tilt, and not yaw free either. I'm thinking that tilt probably won't be used too much with such a wide aspect ratio. I can't imagine too many near/far panoramic compositions.

I double checked the distance between front lensboard and ground glass to confirm how short of a lens could be used. The ground glass is raised slightly off the rear of the camera (more so than I initially thought) so I think the shortest lens you could use would probably be an 80mm. I measure the distance as almost exactly 80mm from front lensboard to ground glass. I measured the film diagonal, and its right around 190mm, so the 75mm lenses wouldn't probably provide enough coverage except for straight on with no movements. The 80mm XL or one of the 90mm lenses would probably be the ideal wide lens. I'll be mounting my Nikkor 90mm on it one of these days to take it for a test drive.

The wider film format makes these 80 and 90mm lenses fairly wide angles. The 80mm would be equivalent to a 19mm in 35mm terms and the 90mm would be like a 21.5mm (on the horizontal).

Capocheny
1-Jul-2006, 11:49
Sheldon,

That IS an unusual camera... the standards look pretty sturdy. What's the overall weight of the camera?

Are they looking at producing them in quanity? Or, is this basically a "one-off?"

Interesting! :)

Cheers

GPS
1-Jul-2006, 13:27
Re: Unusual 6x18 View Camera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would the deeply recessed lens board negatively affect the short focal lengths?

Because the lens standard could come to the field of view of a wide angle lens. At least so it seems to me.

Sheldon N
3-Jul-2006, 11:14
Re: Unusual 6x18 View Camera
How would the deeply recessed lens board negatively affect the short focal lengths?

Because the lens standard could come to the field of view of a wide angle lens. At least so it seems to me.

I just had a chance to check with my 90mm Nikkor. I can't get the front rail/base to show in the photo, even with maximum (bellows limited) front fall/rear rise at infinity.

MAN, the 90mm is wide! I think the aspect ratio contributes to the feeling.

I'll post more once I've had a chance to take the camera out for a spin in the field and get some negatives back. I'm also looking at buying one of Dave's custom film holders for my new Epson 4870, so I can scan 6x18.

GPS
3-Jul-2006, 12:50
It's more on the sides of the film format that the standards can come in the view angle of the lens. I think you won't be able to use shorter than the 90mm lens. Only you can say.

Sheldon N
3-Jul-2006, 12:55
Oh, the sides are not a concern. With my 90mm Nikkor mounted, the front element of the lens is flush with the front standard supports. I think the minimum extension of the bellows (~80mm) will be the limitation on how wide you can go.

GPS
3-Jul-2006, 12:58
Good, that means it's a sound design. But didn't you say originally that it will collapse to almost 0 bellows extension?

Sheldon N
3-Jul-2006, 13:22
Yeah, I did. When looking at the camera with the bellows compressed, it looks like they are collapsed all the way. What I didn't realize was that the rear ground glass sits farther back than I originally thought. I measure the minimum extension as about 80mm from the ground glass to the front of the lensboard.

However, when I focus my 90mm to infinity, there is still 18mm of additional room to bring the standards together. I think you might be able to squeak a 75mm lens on it, depending on the lens design and ftf distance. None of the 65mm lenses that I'm aware of will cover the format, so I think the design was probably done to accomodate a 75 or 80mm lens as the shortest possible.

GPS
3-Jul-2006, 14:04
Indeed, if it can take a 75mm lens then it doesn't miss anything (almost).

Sheldon N
3-Jul-2006, 14:59
Sheldon,

That IS an unusual camera... the standards look pretty sturdy. What's the overall weight of the camera?

Are they looking at producing them in quanity? Or, is this basically a "one-off?"

Interesting! :)

Cheers

Sorry I didn't answer earlier...

The camera and film back (not shown) together weigh 11 lbs. It is a very sturdy and rugged camera. From what I've been told, the maker of the camera has made a couple of them. One was sold to a local (to the maker) shop in Taiwan and he's shooting with another himself. Not sure the total number made, but it sounds like just a few. I don't believe there are any plans to put it into production on any significant scale.

Don Bryant
3-Jul-2006, 17:30
I'm also looking at buying one of Dave's custom film holders for my new Epson 4870, so I can scan 6x18.

Who is Dave? Perhaps you mean Doug Fisher at http://www.BetterScanning.com/ ?

Don Bryant

Sheldon N
3-Jul-2006, 19:19
Whoops, yes I meant Doug.

Sheldon N
25-Jul-2006, 17:08
Well, I've played with the camera for a little while and it's quite cool. I don't think that the panoramic aspect ratio is for me, though.

The owner of the camera is moving back to Taiwan, and he's left the camera with me to sell (funds are actually going back to the original camera maker, since the camera was a gift from him to my friend). I already have one interested party, but thought I'd post a quick note to say that it's for sale. If you have any interest, send me a PM and I can provide other information. If the current possible sale falls through, then I'll post an official ad in the FS forum.

There's only been about 5 of these made, but I was told by my friend that there is the possibility that others could be made. I could put you in touch with the correct parties if there was more than one interested buyer.

PS - No money or financial interest in this for me, just helping out a friend.