PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Technikarden 4x5

Michael Stratton
30-Jun-2006, 12:15
I have a Linfof Technikardan 4x5 which is truly a great camera. I love it but I can't really haul it around anymore, too heavy. Do you know if you can find a Technorama lens focusisng mount seperate from the camera/lens? I'm trying to find a less expensive alternative, use roll film and still have some adjustments.

Any suggestions within a $3,000 or so budget?

Michael

Bob Salomon
30-Jun-2006, 13:19
Rodenstock makes caalibrated focusing mounts for all of their lenses in a 0 shutter. They list for about $500.00 each and they mount to a #3 hole on a lens board. Mounting your lens to the focusing mount is as simple as mounting it to a lens board.

Now, what would you put them on?

Just so there is no misinterpretation. The focusing mounts do not have cones like a Technorama would. They are simply short enough to reach infinity when all the way compressed and focus to a few feet when extended all the way. To mate properly with the film plane you may need to add a lens cone which has to be fabricted. Or you may be able to use a board like the Wista Extended Lens Board to get the proper length if the rear element of the lens can fit in the opening of the tubes.

Frank Petronio
1-Jul-2006, 06:41
If someone has ever done this -- cannabilizing an old Linhof monorail -- it would be nice to figure out the min and max focusing distances with the particular lens combination. The Rodenstock focusing mt sounds great but the back distance of the frame and back assembly seems like the critical measure that affects whether or not you can hit infinity, correct?

It would be so sweet if we could just pick up an older $400 Linhof S on eBay, and weld on a shoe mount for a Voightlander viewfinder and maybe a handle mount. Add a tapped hole for an Arca plate. The Linhof back asseblies are excellent and we could have all the functionality and quality of the ultra-rare Technar for a fraction of the cost.

Of course the elves in Munich could sell more than a few rear frames and backs along with the focusing mounts if they simply published a table showing which lenses work and what the min and max ranges are. It wouldn't cost them much to tabulate and I bet there are at least twenty people a year who would drop a grand to get a Linhof branded version over the alternatives.

Bob Salomon
1-Jul-2006, 10:18
Frank,

You are basically describing the discontinued Linhof Kardan Technar handheld wide angle camera.

That was a Kardan front or rear standard with an accessory shoe in the top ceter and an Anatomical Grip mount on one side. It accepted the Kardan back and gg frame and a Kardan lensboard with a cone and a lens in focus mount.

Each lens had its own finder similar to the Technorama finders but a Multifocus finder could also be used.

Frank Petronio
1-Jul-2006, 13:44
Yeah, I just don't want to pay $6000 for a Technar. If someone published tables of what lens worked with what focusing mount and the frame's film plane distances, then we could assemble our own Technar equivilants for a fraction of the price.

I know that is not helping your biz but I am sure you can understand my reluctance to spend the new or auction price for a rare discontinued Linhof...

Bob Salomon
1-Jul-2006, 15:12
" someone published tables of what lens worked with what focusing mount and the frame's film plane distances"

Flange focus distances at infinity are in every Rodenstock lens brochure. The distances are the same with or without the focus mount. There is a focus mount for each 0 shutter lens in the Rodenstock line.

So the information is readily available and has been since before the focusing mounts were made.

Michael Stratton
2-Jul-2006, 11:48
What do you think of the Cambowide? It looks interesting and is certainly less money?

Mike

Ted Harris
2-Jul-2006, 11:53
The Cambowide, Silvestri and other fixed body cameras are interesting but at best give you some very very limited movements. If you can live with that then they might be worth considering. OTOH, if weight is the primary consideration it seems to me there is an entire universe of options out there for you to consider.

Alan Davenport
2-Jul-2006, 19:45
Any suggestions within a $3,000 or so budget?
Yeah. Send me a round trip airline ticket, and the remainder of the 3G for food. I'll carry yer stuff until the food runs out! :D

Steve Hamley
3-Jul-2006, 12:47
Come on Frank, buy the Technar. You KNOW you REALLY want one, and if you'd bought one when you first started posting about it, you'd have it half paid off by now! :D

Steve

Frank Petronio
3-Jul-2006, 17:50
Gee, I bid $17,000 for a nice one on eBay from a gentleman from China. That was six months ago but I swear it should be in tomorrow's mail ;-)