PDA

View Full Version : I just returned from Africa

Mike Boden
29-Jun-2006, 11:01
This was a trip of a lifetime. I ended up going on a photo workshop safari in Tanzania led by Andy Biggs (http://www.andybiggs.com). And obviously, we were shooting digital 99.9% of the time with long lenses to capture the wildlife. But I shoot mostly large format here at home, because it suits my style a little better.

So I ended up bringing my Toyo 4x5 along with me, somewhat against Andy's recommendation. But I told him that even if I only get one photo with the camera from the entire trip, it'll be worth it. And sure enough, the extra 20 pounds of camera gear got me the shot I wanted. There were many fantastic opportunities for the most spectacular landscape shots, but the problem was that we weren't allowed out of the vehicles except for a piss break, at designated picnic areas, or back at camp. This was very limiting and frustrating. But I got the ONE shot I wanted and I thought I'd share it with you. Enjoy!

http://www.zoeticlight.com/portfolio/images/AcaciaSunrise.jpg

Brian Vuillemenot
29-Jun-2006, 12:22
Great shot- it was worth dragging the camera all that way and risking getting eaten by a lion! ;)

Kirk Gittings
29-Jun-2006, 12:34
Smoking......

Mike Boden
29-Jun-2006, 17:09
Thanks guys. And actually, it wasn't the lions I was worried about. It was the hippos. In fact, more people are killed by hippos in Africa than by any other animal. These guys are fast and very mean. At one point, we were tracking this hippo that was kicked out of his water hole by the other males, and he got extremely pissed off at us at one point when we tried to take some photos. He even charged at us a bit where I could see all the way down his throat. Unfortunately, it was so quick that neither of us got the shot.

Bill_1856
29-Jun-2006, 17:22
He even charged at us a bit where I could see all the way down his throat. Unfortunately, it was so quick that neither of us got the shot.

Next time, take faster film.

BrianShaw
30-Jun-2006, 06:26
Wow, Mike.... nice shot. Yes, I'd agree that bringing the LF was worth it. In the past I have always advised people against it. I haven't done that kind of photosafari but my brother went to Tanzania a couple of years ago and his stories led me to believe that the "only" equipment worth taking was film/digital SLR and long lenses. I'm now a believer: where there's a will, there's a way".

Mike Boden
30-Jun-2006, 09:52
I'm now a believer: where there's a will, there's a way".

hahahahaha I'm totally laughing out loud right now.

And the reason why is because that's basically why I brought it. I told Andy that if I went all the way to the other side of the planet and didn't bring it but wanted to use it, I would have regretted it. Considering how much LF I shoot at home, it would have simply killed me to not have it. So the decision to bring it was simply because I had to. I figured out a way to pack everything and comply with the weight restrictions and make it happen. Where there's a will, there's a way!!!! That was totally my mindset before I left. Anyway, that's the quote of the day. Thanks.