PDA

View Full Version : problems with layer masks in CS2?

mark blackman
28-Jun-2006, 01:54
I've moved from CS to CS2 and I'm having problems with layer masks. I used to have an action for localised spot removal (even with quickloads, I always seem to get some dust on the film!), it used to:

1. create a copy layer
2. apply dust & spots filter to layer
3. turn into mask
4. make a brush

I then used the brush to selectively 'paint-through' to the D&S layer below. This just does not work anymore in CS2! Any help - please? I'm in the silly position of having to keep both versions of CS on my PC.

robc
28-Jun-2006, 06:09
Open the image you want apply the action to.
goto the actions panel and expand the action concerned.
Then switch on the dialog button for every step in the action.
then, in sequence form first to last, double click each step in the action.

what you do in each step will modify the action to those settings.

If you get an error you will then know where it is going wrong.

At that point you can insert any new required step or delete the step concerned by dragging it to the waste bin.

to insert a step highlight the step prior to where you want to insert a step and then click record. Don't forget to click close to stop recording when you have finshed inserting.

Once you've fixed it, then switch off dialogues and save the action set to both the normal actions folder and a backup folder.

Jack Flesher
28-Jun-2006, 06:30
>>3) Turn into mask <<

I suspect this is where your issue is. How did you create the mask in CS? I suspect CS did an automatic conversion to 8-bit at step 2 where CS2 does not and then you have trouble at the mask creation point.

You could try adding a convert to 8-bit step to the old action, but I think the easiest thing for you to do is simply re-create that action in CS2. Should take all of 5 minutes -- a *lot* easier than booting both programs ;)

Jack

Jeffrey Sipress
28-Jun-2006, 11:00
In CS2, you can forget about all that layering and masking and simply use the Patch Tool.

mark blackman
28-Jun-2006, 22:35
is CS, when I create the mask the D&S effect 'disapears' and is revealed by using the paint brush. In CS2, the effect remains on screen. Why?

Jack Flesher
29-Jun-2006, 06:20
What color is the mask icon (in the layers palette) in the CS action, and what color is it in the CS2 action?

mark blackman
1-Jul-2006, 07:00
Jack,
You got in going in the right direction! In CS I just clicked on the 'add mask' option on the layers palette. I found in CS2 I had to go to the menu option Layer/Layer Mask/Hide all. It all works beautifully now.

Jack Flesher
1-Jul-2006, 08:13
Jack,
You got in going in the right direction! In CS I just clicked on the 'add mask' option on the layers palette. I found in CS2 I had to go to the menu option Layer/Layer Mask/Hide all. It all works beautifully now.

Thought that might be it ;) CS2 defaults to the "reveal all" and it sounded like you were used to working in "hide all" mode.

mark blackman
1-Jul-2006, 12:04
Yep, that's it Jack. I use this action to selectively remove spots etc from scanned film, I 'paint' through the mask to reveal the filtered layer beneath.