PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Indiana

Michael Daily
26-Jun-2006, 18:21
Having read and occaisionally posted, I think it is time I introduce myself: Michael Daily. I have been involved, off and on, in photography since 1966, when a friend asked me to become a HS yearbook photographer. In 1972 I was admitted to the MFA program at Indiana Univ. and finished in 1976. I am currently an English teacher in a nearby town and several years ago through a grant was able to purchase a Deardorff 8x10 and a Comm Ektar to do some backpacking in Rocky Mtn Nat Park. I have owned and used a Busch Presman Model D 4x5 and Leicas since the early '70s, but now even the Busch feels like a small camera. I work strictly in B/W and mostly with a 5x7 D and 210mm, 5.6 Apo Symmar. Thanks for all of the info that I have gotten over the last couple of years that I have been reading. It is a humbling experience to join such a group.
Michael

Capocheny
26-Jun-2006, 19:12
Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum. :)

How are you enjoying the 5x7? Great format isn't it? I've got a 5x7 Dorff with 4x5 reducing back. Great fun... and easier to carry than the 8x10 by a long ways! :)

I'm also a Leica M shooter but have gravitated more and more toward the larger sized formats over the past several years. Not that I don't enjoy the Leica but... it's just different.

Anyway... welcome! :)

Cheers

Michael Daily
26-Jun-2006, 19:25
Likewise on all points! I also have a couple of IIIas and lenses--for a pocket camera, like the 110 Instamatics of the old days. Leica Digital is strictly for snapshots on vacation and note-taking. My 4x5 reducing back for the 5x7 is the one with the graflok back--I would rather have the wooden one--it is lighter and won't scratch stuff in the back pack. While it is somewhat lighter, that for me is not the issue. The format seems somehow "right", and yes, I know that I could mask/crop the 8x10. I have never been really happy with cropping--I have always printed full frame. "If you don't want it in the picture, don't shoot it." Thanks for the reply and your posts. I have read them with interest and generally agreed with all issues...
Michael

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the forum. :)

How are you enjoying the 5x7? Great format isn't it? I've got a 5x7 Dorff with 4x5 reducing back. Great fun... and easier to carry than the 8x10 by a long ways! :)

I'm also a Leica M shooter but have gravitated more and more toward the larger sized formats over the past several years. Not that I don't enjoy the Leica but... it's just different.

Anyway... welcome! :)

Cheers

Charles Hohenstein
26-Jun-2006, 20:25
Greetings from South Bend, Michael. Where are you, anyway? Indiana is a big place.

Capocheny
26-Jun-2006, 21:10
Likewise on all points! I also have a couple of IIIas and lenses--for a pocket camera, like the 110 Instamatics of the old days. Leica Digital is strictly for snapshots on vacation and note-taking. My 4x5 reducing back for the 5x7 is the one with the graflok back--I would rather have the wooden one--it is lighter and won't scratch stuff in the back pack. While it is somewhat lighter, that for me is not the issue. The format seems somehow "right", and yes, I know that I could mask/crop the 8x10. I have never been really happy with cropping--I have always printed full frame. "If you don't want it in the picture, don't shoot it." Thanks for the reply and your posts. I have read them with interest and generally agreed with all issues...
Michael

Hi Michael,

I do a bit of street shooting and that's where the Leica really shines! I also use a Panasonic LC-1 for those types of images too. :)

I also have the Graflock back on my reducing back and I've been thinking about having it changed to one of the Sinar backs. It's a LOT easier to insert and remove the film holder from the back. Anyway... I'll have to look into doing that a bit later on.

The 5x7 reducing backs do come up every so often on the auction site but I've yet to get serious about winning one for my 8x10 Dorff. There was some discussion on the use of reducing backs on these larger cameras. Anyway, time will tell! But, I fully agree with you about including only what YOU want in the shot. I'm also one of those guys who likes to fill up the frame with what I'm shooting... sounds like we're on the same page! :)

Thanks for the comment. I only know a very small fraction of what some of the guys on this forum know and I'm always amazed with the level of knowledge that gets passed around on this forum. Incredible members, really! :)

At any rate... look forward to chatting with you in the near future. :)

Cheers

Danny Burk
27-Jun-2006, 07:15
Greetings from South Bend as well, Michael. Contrary to what some may think, there are quite a few of us LF shooters in Indiana!

Charles Hohenstein
27-Jun-2006, 16:36
Greetings from South Bend as well, Michael. Contrary to what some may think, there are quite a few of us LF shooters in Indiana!

Hi Danny--nice to know that you're still alive and well!