26-Jun-2006, 17:21
Does anyone have contact info for John of W2D2 and WdD2+ fame

steve simmons

Michael Gordon
26-Jun-2006, 19:03
taken right from his site: tjwimberley@ashlandhome.net

Kirk Gittings
26-Jun-2006, 19:36
When I do a search on his name I get nothing about his site. What is it?

steve simmons
26-Jun-2006, 19:44
here is the site

http://johnwimberleyphotography.com/

there is an ey at the end of his name

thanks for your help

steve simmons

Eric Biggerstaff
26-Jun-2006, 19:44
http://www.johnwimberleyphotography.com/

That is his site link, his site was designed by Verve Labs in Santa Fe as was mine and there is a link to Johns site from the Verve site.

I sent him a couple of emails several months ago with some questions that he answered but have not contacted him recently.

Hope that helps.

BrianShaw
27-Jun-2006, 06:31
there is an ey at the end of his name

Well that makes a difference... doesn't it! :-)

Andre Noble
27-Jun-2006, 09:11
Steve, share with if there is anything new he has to say about his developer, Wimberley WD2D+.

;)

steve simmons
27-Jun-2006, 09:53
We are putting together an article on staining developers and inviting Gordon Hutchings, John Wimberley, Jay de Fehr and Sandy King to participate. So far everyone has agreed except Sandy and we hope he will join the group. The purpose of the article is not to compare formulae but to help people better understand what a staining developer is and how they work. This article will be in our Sept/oct 06 issue.

steve simmons

sanking
27-Jun-2006, 15:06
We are putting together an article on staining developers and inviting Gordon Hutchings, John Wimberley, Jay de Fehr and Sandy King to participate. So far everyone has agreed except Sandy and we hope he will join the group. The purpose of the article is not to compare formulae but to help people better understand what a staining developer is and how they work. This article will be in our Sept/oct 06 issue.

steve simmons

I received the invitation to participate in this discussion while traveling back to South Carolina from Montana (had to cut short a longer trip to Alberta and British Columbia because of a continuing problem with a detached or torn retina), and my first inclination was to decline. However, after further consideration I have decided to accept Steve’s invitation. In spite of some differences of opinion Steve and I share a belief in the value of staining developers and I see this format as an opportunity to contribute to the community with my knowledge in this area. Also, it will be an honor to participate with folks of caliber of Gordon Hutchings and John Wimberleley. They are both persons of considerable achievement from whom I have personally learned a lot. And, they are known not just for their formulas, but more importantly for their image making, teaching and publications.

There is, however, still a need for a very thorough and comprehensive study on pyro staining developers versus non-staining developers, and within the pyro category, a comparison of the various formulae. I have long wanted to do such a study, but constraints of the profession did not afford me the time. However, having recently retired from academia I now have the time and inclination to pursue this study, and now is as good a time as any to announce that intention. I plan to invite at least one more person, and perhaps two or three, to collaborate with me on this study, which will be, to the best of my ability to make it so, sound in its methodology, comprehensive, and transparent.

Sandy King

Jay DeFehr
27-Jun-2006, 16:01
I confess that until today, I didn't know anything about John Wimberley's work, and only associated him with his developer formulae. Having visited his website (linked above), I am reminded simultaneously of pyro's potential advantages in the hands of a master, and of the relative insignificance of developer choice in the grand scheme of things. If we were guided primarily by the work accomplished with a given developer, I think we'd all be using WD2D(+). That being said, there are meaningful differences in the various formulae to be discussed, and in the approaches and goals of their formulators, which should make for an interesting and informative article, to which I'm happy to contribute.

Jay

Andre Noble
27-Jun-2006, 20:00
Sandy sorry to hear about your and Steve's nagging health issues at the moment. You two contribute a lot to the craft, and of course, we can all identify with your desire to be in good health to pursue this hobby/craft/profession of ours. Best wishes to both of you for positive outcomes with those health issues. We don't want you guys cracked up.:)

By the way Sandy, your article on Ed Bufalloes's site is what got me to look seriously at Pyrocat HD (and John Wimberley's article in Photo and Darkroom Technique had the same effect in regards to his WD2D+). Maybe you can summarize some of your writings that are on Ed's site, rather than starting from scratch for the View Camera article...also don't forget to mention the fact Pyrocat HD stock doesn't have to be made up in water.

I have too limited of experience with the Pyro, to volounteer myself to help you in writing something about it. But I do know the claims made about it are true in my darkroom: I get beautiful highlight control - subtle highlight detail, great sharpness, great midtone and shadow gradation.

I have worked as a hobbiest for 7 years toiling with my 4x5 enlarger, variable contrast papers, and graded filters trying to print negatives developed in traditional film developers (Microdol-X, Xtol, ID11, D76, Rodinol.). I always had problems with those highlights as I shoot under harsh the S. California sunlight. I am aware the other developers have their place. But the subtlety and beauty of my darkroom prints say that Pryo is a world class, highly refined and professional developer.

sanking
27-Jun-2006, 20:35
Sandy sorry to hear about your and Steve's nagging health issues at the moment. You two contribute a lot to the craft, and of course, we can all identify with your desire to be in good health to pursue this hobby/craft/profession of ours. Best wishes to both of you for positive outcomes with those health issues. We don't want you guys cracked up.:)

By the way Sandy, your article on Ed Bufalloes's site is what got me to look seriously at Pyrocat HD (and John Wimberley's article in Photo and Darkroom Technique had the same effect in regards to his WD2D+). Maybe you can summarize some of your writings that are on Ed's site, rather than starting from scratch for the View Camera article...also don't forget to mention the fact Pyrocat HD stock doesn't have to be made up in water.

I have too limited of experience with the Pyro, to volounteer myself to help you in writing something about it. But I do know the claims made about it are true in my darkroom: I get beautiful highlight control - subtle highlight detail, great sharpness, great midtone and shadow gradation.

I have worked as a hobbiest for 7 years toiling with my 4x5 enlarger, variable contrast papers, and graded filters trying to print negatives developed in traditional film developers (Microdol-X, Xtol, ID11, D76, Rodinol.). I always had problems with those highlights as I shoot under harsh the S. California sunlight. I am aware the other developers have their place. But the subtlety and beauty of my darkroom prints say that Pryo is a world class, highly refined and professional developer.

Andre,

First, thank you for your concern about the eye. I am scheduled early tomrrow a.m. for another surgery, hopefully the last. I know that all photographers can understand the fear of losing vision.

And I agree with your experience. When photograhing in vey high contrast scenes, say in Southern Califoria in bright sunlight, Pyro staining developers do magic, especially with VC silver papers. With graded silver papers and other processes the issues are different, though not necessarily easier to explain.

In any event I am pleased to announce that Kirk Keyes has agreed to collaborate with me on the study. Kirk brings important stengths and talents to the project and I look forward to working with him in an attempt to clarify some of the important issues re: Pyro staining developers.

Sandy

Robert Brummitt
27-Jun-2006, 21:10
John is probably out in the field photographing. I'll call and tell him that Steve is looking for him. Steve we met at the Silver Conference. Do you have my card? Robert Of Portland Photographers Forum. Call me and I'll share you John's address and phone.

steve simmons
28-Jun-2006, 05:38
I have made contact with John, tyhanks.

I remember we talked about a workshop in Portland. We are also considering Portland for a future Conference.

steve simmons

Andre Noble
28-Jun-2006, 07:10
Sandy, I wish you best of luck on your surgery tomorrow. A pending eye operation can be a stressful thing, I imagine. But having a skilled and dedicated doctor can mean a the difference in outcome. If he knows about the Pyro of his craft, whatever that may be, then you're in very good hands.:)

sanking
28-Jun-2006, 07:21
Sandy, I wish you best of luck on your surgery tomorrow. A pending eye operation can be a stressful thing, I imagine. But having a skilled and dedicated doctor can mean a the difference in outcome. If he knows about the Pyro of his craft, whatever that may be, then you're in very good hands.:)

Andre,

Well, the surgery is over and I am just fine, though the world is a very bright place from the dilation of my eye. It was, thankfully, a small tear that only needed about fifty blasts of the laser to weld it back in place. I should be fine in a couple of days, but am told to not do any jump roping or other jarring exercises for a few weeks.

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
28-Jun-2006, 07:36
Gald things went well Sandy.

Is there some correlation between Pyro and torn retinas? Between Steve and Sandy it makes one wonder..............

tim atherton
28-Jun-2006, 08:25
I received the invitation to participate in this discussion while traveling back to South Carolina from Montana (had to cut short a longer trip to Alberta and British Columbia because of a continuing problem with a detached or torn retina),

Sandy King

if you ever make it back to Alberta, give me a shout Sandy....

Kirk Keyes
28-Jun-2006, 10:03
In any event I am pleased to announce that Kirk Keyes has agreed to collaborate with me on the study.

I'd like to thank Sandy for the invitation to work on this project. It sounds truly interesting and I'm excited to be involved!

Glad to hear the surgery went well!

Robert Brummitt
28-Jun-2006, 23:29
I have made contact with John, tyhanks.

I remember we talked about a workshop in Portland. We are also considering Portland for a future Conference.

steve simmons

Well, let me know how I can help with a View Camera event here. I'm working on something right now that will happen in November of this year. Details to come.

Robert B.
PPF