PDA

View Full Version : One Case Only Lens Kit...

Scott Rosenberg
26-Jun-2006, 11:12
i know this is a strange question, and likely there will only be a few folks on the forum that can answer it directly - kerry comes to mind - but i was wondering if someone could tell me if the following lenses could all fit inside just one of the larger gnass lens cases...

80-XL
120 APO Symmar L
Nikon 200-M
Nikon 300-M (or Fuji 300-C)
Fuji 450-C

alternatively, if you've got a one lens case field kit and wouldn't mind sharing what you carry, please do post.

thanks,
scott

Sal Santamaura
26-Jun-2006, 11:39
I suspect even Kerry won't be able to answer until you tell us what a Nikon 300-C looks like.

Kerry L. Thalmann
26-Jun-2006, 11:47
i know this is a strange question, and likely there will only be a few folks on the forum that can answer it directly - kerry comes to mind - but i was wondering if someone could tell me if the following lenses could all fit inside just one of the larger gnass lens cases...

80-XL
120 APO Symmar L
Nikon 200-M
Nikon 300-C
Fuji 450-C

alternatively, if you've got a one lens case field kit and wouldn't mind sharing what you carry, please do post.

thanks,
scott

Scott,

You'll need an extra divider, but it should work. I have an older Gnass Gear "Standard" 4x5 multi-lens case. I've used it to hold the five lens kit I use for 4x10 (110 SS XL, 150mm Graphic-Kowa, 210mm Graphic-Kowa, 300mm Nikkor M and 450mm Fujinon C). I don't have a 120mm APO Symmar L, but I do have the other four lenses on your list. I can double check tonight to see well they fit (I'll subsitute a lens of similar size for the 120mm). I suspect the dimensions on the current Gnass cases are pretty much the same as my older model.

Kerry

Ron Marshall
26-Jun-2006, 11:49
If you mean Fuji 300 C, then it might be possible. I have four (three fairly large) lenses in a Gnass, and another inch to spare: Grandagon 75 f4.5, 110 XL, Apo Sironar S 150, 210 F5.6.

Scott Rosenberg
26-Jun-2006, 11:53
I suspect even Kerry won't be able to answer until you tell us what a Nikon 300-C looks like.

oops! that should have been a nikon 300-m, of course. nice catch... i've made the correction!!

Scott Rosenberg
26-Jun-2006, 12:22
Scott,

...I can double check tonight to see well they fit (I'll subsitute a lens of similar size for the 120mm). I suspect the dimensions on the current Gnass cases are pretty much the same as my older model.

Kerry

thanks, kerry. i'm trying to assemble a one case only field kit and have been doing lots of thinking on the matter. in a thread i came across several years ago, you recommended using the 120 APO-Symmar (or Symmar L) in place of the 110-XL. well, if i do that and also use a nikon 200-M in place of my 210 Sironar-S, i'll have a substantially lighter field kit, and most importantly, one that can be carried in one gnass case instead of two... that's going to save a lot of room in my pack. i know i'm giving up a little coverage and some illumination on the ground glass, but both are secondary to size and weight for this particular application. what i'm not willing to sacrifice is image quality, and i don't think i'll ever notice the change at sizes i usually print... usually 16x20 and smaller.

scott