PDA

View Full Version : Steve Simmons accident

Kirk Gittings
25-Jun-2006, 11:31
Best wishes to Steve Simmons who was crushed by a saddle bronc Friday while photographing a rodeo in Santa Fe. He sustained numerous injuries, a concusion, three broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder and ten stitches. Facts are vague because Steve does not remember much. He is home and recovering.

God speed.

David Karp
25-Jun-2006, 11:35
Please pass on best wishes for a quick recovery. Please also remind Steve that the people are supposed to ride the horses, not the other way around! ;)

BrianShaw
25-Jun-2006, 11:41
Yikes... this is not good news. Best wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery!

Mark Sawyer
25-Jun-2006, 11:52
Ouch! Hope your recovery is swift and not too painful, Steve. Sounds bad, but I'm sure it could easily have been worse.

Best wishes,

Ted Harris
25-Jun-2006, 11:54
He is doing ok. Still has his sense of humor. I spoke to Steve some two hours before Kirk's post and he said."I thought of tellingpeople they should see the other guy but in this case I'm not even sure the horse knew he clobbered me."

He is gonna need rest and some peace and quiet. This on top of the eye trouble he was having.

God speed indeed.

lee\c
25-Jun-2006, 11:58
he is too old to be hanging around saddle broncs. Best wishes and speedy recovery.

lee\c

Jay DeFehr
25-Jun-2006, 12:14
Youch!

Get well, cowboy.

J

Gordon Moat
25-Jun-2006, 12:24
Sounds like he took the Robert Capa idea a little too seriously. Hoping he has a speedy recovery.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Vick Vickery
25-Jun-2006, 12:26
Best wishes for a speedy recovery...having been on the receiving end of dislocated sholders and broken ribs, I know you;re hurting, Steve! Hope you feel better soon!

Capocheny
25-Jun-2006, 12:31
Ouch!!! Here's to "best wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve!"

Enjoy the hospital food... I know it's not the most palatable stuff in the world.

And, leave the cute nurses alone!!! :) :)

Cheers

darr
25-Jun-2006, 12:32
Your in my thoughts Steve, take care and peace be with you.

Frank Petronio
25-Jun-2006, 12:33
Get Well Steve

I will eat a McDonalds horsemeat burger in your honor

Michael Graves
25-Jun-2006, 12:39
Poor Steve! Now onto the critical question. How'd the picture come out?

Just kidding. I hope Steve is back here arm wrestling with us before we even know he's gone.

Kerry L. Thalmann
25-Jun-2006, 12:58
Kirk,

Please give Steve my best. I'm sure he's in a lot of pain and the best thing for him is some rest and peace and quiet. It's been a rough month for Steve. I bet he can't wait fior June to be over. Hopefully, July (and beyond) treat him much better.

Kerry

Amund BLix Aaeng
25-Jun-2006, 13:04
Ouch! Best wishes Steve.

Harley Goldman
25-Jun-2006, 13:13
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!!

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jun-2006, 13:27
Yikes! Hope you're doing better soon, Steve.

Eric Leppanen
25-Jun-2006, 13:39
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve. Hope they are giving you some great mind-altering drugs to try out...:)

Merg Ross
25-Jun-2006, 13:41
Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!

Jim Rice
25-Jun-2006, 14:31
Best wishes, Steve. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but quit that.

Mark Sawyer
25-Jun-2006, 14:52
Steve~

Hope you're recovered in time to photograph the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona...

Andre Noble
25-Jun-2006, 15:16
Word on the street is that Steve didn't get hit by an actual animal but by Jay De Fehr and Sandy King beneath some horse costume.;)

Get well and take it easy, Steve.

Steve Hamley
25-Jun-2006, 15:19
Best wishes and get well soon Steve

steve simmons
25-Jun-2006, 17:00
thanks for the well wishes. I put myself in a stupid place and cannot fugure what the **** i was thinking. I was on foot in the return shoot where the run the bulls and bucking horses back after thei 8 seconds in the arena> i remember thinking oh **** and looking for cover. I think the horse came through and slammed me into sidewall. I have 12 stitches in the forehead over my lft eye, a blackened and partially closed left eye, a concussion, sep left shoulder, and 3 broken ribs under my left arm. I did not realize how closely the small toe on my right foot and the ribs under my left arm are connected. I spent fri night in the emerency room and fiends brought me and my car home on sat..

Kerry is right, June has ben a tough month. Next year I will skip it.

steve

Hans Berkhout
25-Jun-2006, 17:18
That's bad luck, all the best, be prepared for a few months recovery, hope you have a good care giver. Time for a self portrait?

Steven Barall
25-Jun-2006, 17:30
That poor horse. That's a joke. Steve, get well soon and PLEASE let us see that last photo you took before the horse clobbered you. The horse could have just said No photographs please, instead of pulling a DeNiro on you. Make sure you play up the fact that you are a not only a photographer but also a publishing magnate to all the nurses. You never know. Maybe one of them would just look perfect on the cover of the next issue, wink wink. PLEASE let us see those photos also.

Graham Patterson
25-Jun-2006, 17:37
It sounds like this June was the one to skip!

John Flavell
25-Jun-2006, 17:55
Steve, hope your recovery goes well. And if you have any of those mind-altering drugs left over...........

Bob Gentile
25-Jun-2006, 18:30
Hope the pain subsides soon. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Walter Calahan
25-Jun-2006, 19:08
Ouch, speedy recovery.

Most likely the horse never saw you 'cause they really only want to run away from the pain afflicted on them in the chute gate.

Steve Sherman
25-Jun-2006, 19:48
God's Speed, we're counting on a full recovery

steve simmons
25-Jun-2006, 20:07
>>>Make sure you play up the fact that you are a not only a photographer but also a publishing magnate to all the nurses. You never know.<<<

Actually a friend who was at the rodeo and came over to the hospital aftward told me the next morning that I was bragging to all the nurses that I was a champion bull rider. But I think she knew I did not remember much and was having fun.

steve

Alex Hawley
25-Jun-2006, 20:11
Hoping for a speedy recovery Steve. Good Luck!

sanking
25-Jun-2006, 20:36
Best wishes to Steve Simmons who was crushed by a saddle bronc Friday while photographing a rodeo in Santa Fe. He sustained numerous injuries, a concusion, three broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder and ten stitches. Facts are vague because Steve does not remember much. He is home and recovering.

God speed.

In November of 2000 I had an accident which left me with similar damage, i.e. two broken ribs, a concussion, and shattered bones at the arm/hand joint. The consequences were significant. I was unable to remember my PIN for over three weeks, the arm/hand had to be operated on seveal times, (and is still a source of pain from the pins that were drilled into my hand and arm), and the broken ribs caused extreme pain for weeks after the accident. Breathing was painful, and a cough was a nightmare.

And to this day I have nightmares about the events that lead to the fall that resulted in these injuries, since for but a quirk of nature I could have wound up not injured, but very dead. So, from a similar experience I have an accute sense of the pain, emotional and physical, that Steve is now suffering.

Steve, I wish you a rapid recovery. Breath softly for the broken ribs, and don't allow anyone with a cold near you.

Sandy King

Kirk Gittings
25-Jun-2006, 20:47
Good advice Sandy.

My wife and I had dinner with Steve tonight. He is all busted up and in alot of pain, but in good spirits considering (the pain killers help). He is actually lucky given the circumstances that he did not suffer much more severe injuries. His biggest struggle will probably be taking the time he needs to rest and heal properly. He is not one to sit around and eat bon bons.

kwmullet
25-Jun-2006, 21:00
Saw the note Lee posted on APUG about your accident, and registered to post in this thread.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. No doubt, you'll be "back up on the horse" sooner than you may now think.

Hope you got some satisfying images from the experience. You've certainly got a hell of a story go to with them.

Take care,

-KwM-

John Kasaian
25-Jun-2006, 21:15
Man, thats a bit of bad news! My sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery, Steve.

Jack Flesher
26-Jun-2006, 08:24
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Steve!

As a teen, I worked on a ranch -- got stepped on by steers, kicked by horses and pinned between the two more than once. Anyway, it all hurt like heck back then as a burly teenager -- I cannot even imagine what it would do to me now.

jnantz
26-Jun-2006, 08:25
this is sad news,
i hope you get better soon steve!

john

Oren Grad
26-Jun-2006, 08:47
Best wishes for as swift and pain-free a recovery as can possibly be had...

Bobby Sandstrom
26-Jun-2006, 09:27
Get well soon Steve!

Bob

Bob Salomon
26-Jun-2006, 09:53
Steve,

Not your month. How is your eye? It didn't effect the re-attachment did it?

steve simmons
26-Jun-2006, 10:03
No, the eye was checked this morning and is fine.

I just hope I am cleaning out bad karma and that the closet is now about empty.

steve

Jim Chinn
26-Jun-2006, 12:21
Done the broken rib thing and know how painfull that is without all the other injuries you sustained. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Don't know if you drink, but I found washing down the darvecett with a little scotch made for a more peaceful sleep.:)

Donald Brewster
27-Jun-2006, 07:40
Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. Enjoy the painkillers and hope they are working well.

Hugo Zhang
27-Jun-2006, 07:54
Best wishes and speedy recovery!

Greg Miller
27-Jun-2006, 09:42
Steve - I hope your recovery is a quick one!

GPS
27-Jun-2006, 09:47
Never mind the ribs, what happened to you Deardorff..?

steve simmons
27-Jun-2006, 09:49
Again, I appreciate all the good wishes. I am better everyday. I still can not put on a pull over shirt and at the end of the day when I am tired I am still a little goofy (goofier).

steve

Jorge Gasteazoro
27-Jun-2006, 10:25
Well, see..sometimes it pays not to get into pissing matches.... :)
You sure picked the worng one this time......... I wish you a speedy recovery.

Again, I appreciate all the good wishes. I am better everyday. I still can not put on a pull over shirt and at the end of the day when I am tired I am still a little goofy (goofier).

steve

Wendy Erickson
27-Jun-2006, 18:44
Oh Steve...
I wish I could think of a clever retort but all I can think of is "Get Well Soon" - we gotta see the photos you were making though..
Kind regards as always,
-Wendy

sanking
30-Jun-2006, 20:50
Word on the street is that Steve didn't get hit by an actual animal but by Jay De Fehr and Sandy King beneath some horse costume.;)

Get well and take it easy, Steve.

Andre,

I have a good alibi.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sandy King

Andy Eads
30-Jun-2006, 21:48
Cowboy up!

Michael Kadillak
1-Jul-2006, 09:23
Hope you get well soon. I learned at an early age growing up in Montana that horses are about as predictable as the weather at 10,000 ft.

How about an urban botanical gardens pictorial project for your next assignment?

I can vouch for Sandy as we were on the top of Beartooth Pass in Wyoming at the time.

Cheers!

Ole Tjugen
1-Jul-2006, 12:29
Steve, I don't often do these "get well posts".

So I just thought I'd put in my vote here - we need you back in action.

And Jorge, and Zhenya, and... ... ...

paul r w freeman
1-Jul-2006, 13:46
A get well soon message from me also... I just found this forum, so its good to know I can finally pay my respects to the man who (unbeknownst to him) taught me how to use a view camera through his excellent and classic book.

Morten
1-Jul-2006, 14:57
A get well soon message from me also... I just found this forum, so its good to know I can finally pay my respects to the man who (unbeknownst to him) taught me how to use a view camera through his excellent and classic book.

Just about the same for me!! Only minor deviations.. But Still miss You!! and as Ole said..

Morten :-)

steve simmons
1-Jul-2006, 15:54
Again, thank you all for the good wishes. I am surprisingly better each day. The irony is that after having my retina detachment fixed June 2 I was grounded from horses and volleyball for several weeks.I saw the eye doctor on Thursday and he told me I was cleared to ride and play again. He did have a smirk on his face because I was sitting there wth my left arm in a sling, 20 stitiches in my forehead, and three broken ribs so the liklihood of either is at least a couple of week away.

steve

David Crossley
13-Jul-2006, 08:47
Shocked to hear about your misfortune Steve. Glad to hear your on the mend!

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....