PDA

View Full Version : Red dot Artar

Shen45
24-Jun-2006, 20:18
Does anyone on this forunm use a 19" Red Dot Artar in an Illex 4 [?] shutter or a copal 3 for that matter.

I'm interested in opinions on all aspects of the lens from anyone who has actually used one.
I will be only using it for Black and white 5x4 and enlarging to a maximum of 16x20 through a DeVere enlarger.

I realise there are many opinions on this lens but I really only want to hear from someone who has one and actually uses it.

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 21:24
Does anyone on this forunm use a 19" Red Dot Artar in an Illex 4 [?] shutter or a copal 3 for that matter.

I'm interested in opinions on all aspects of the lens from anyone who has actually used one.
I will be only using it for Black and white 5x4 and enlarging to a maximum of 16x20 through a DeVere enlarger.

I realise there are many opinions on this lens but I really only want to hear from someone who has one and actually uses it.

Steve,

I've just won one of these puppies and will be using it on an 8x10. Like you... I was also curious about it. So, here's what I found after "Googling" it:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=19+Red+dot+artar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

What camera are you using it with?

Cheers

Shen45
25-Jun-2006, 01:34
A mono rail with a loooooooooooong bellows draw :)

Thanks for the link -- that has consummed most of the afternoon.

I'm also interested in the reliability/ruggedness/life of the Illex #4 shutters.

Capocheny
25-Jun-2006, 01:53
I'm also interested in the reliability/ruggedness/life of the Illex #4 shutters.

Steve,

Here's a few comments made in regard to the Ilex shutter by some of the members here. I had posted a question about an adapter for the bi-pole connector earlier:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18212

Does your shutter have the bi-pole connectors like mine does? Or, does yours have the newer x-sync?

Cheers

Dan Fromm
25-Jun-2006, 04:55
Capocheny, bi-post refers to a type of connector. x-sync refers to a class of flash synchronisation. x-sync, which is used with electronic flash, fires the flash when the shutter is completely open. Class m and fp synchronization are used with flash bulbs, fire the flash before the shutter has begun to open. If you want to learn more, search or go to the library.

You may be thinking of a PC connector. Type of connector has nothing to do with sync class. Please use the language correctly.

John Kasaian
25-Jun-2006, 07:16
Mine is in an Ilex #4, I use it on an 8x10. The only similar lens I have for comparison not including a 19" Dagor (which is a whole different kettle of fish) would be a thoroughly modern Nikkor 450 M in a copal 3. I shoot B&W sheet film.

The Nikkor 450 M and copal 3 is a truly great combination.

The 19" RD Artar and Ilex #4 is IMHO even greater.

The 19" Dagor is just more of the same.

If you've got the bellows and lensboard to support using a 19" RD Artar then go for it---it is the sharpest 19"er I've used. If you want more coverage (which you would with a 12x20) the 450 Nikkor M wins. If you want a smoother look and acres of coverage, the 19" Dagor walks away with all the marbles.

Jon Wilson
25-Jun-2006, 08:44
If you cannot find a 19" red dot artar in a shutter or if you have the lens, but in a barrel mount, I would recommend considering having it installed in a shutter by Tim at LensN2shutter.com
I have a 450mm red dot artar which I had installed in a copal 3 shutter by Tim at LensN2shutter.com. I believe he prefers to work with alphax shutters, but did a nice job on my 45cm barrel lens. I was more cost effective than purchasing a newer lens in a shutter and for less. I provided my shutter and lens, he installed it for around $275. I have several red dot and non-red dot artars and love them. Extremely sharp.
Wonderful lens. You cannot go wrong going with an artar. Jon

Capocheny
25-Jun-2006, 12:50
Dan,

My apologies for using the incorrect terminology... :)

Jon,

Many thanks for the link to Tim's site... :)

Cheers