PDA

View Full Version : Exclude individual Forums

Tom Westbrook
24-Jun-2006, 17:09
To allow users to customize their view of the Forum I've made a change to the software so you can exclude almost any Forum from view.

To access the control, navigate to "My Settings" page using the link in the upper menu bar, then select "Edit Options" and scroll to the bottom of the page. The section is "Forums To Exclude From View". Simply select the Forum(s) you want to exclude and save your changes. Instructions are included.

This feature will also exclude the selected forums from any "do=getnew" or "do=getdaily" saved search URLs you use. However, in regular search queries and in Advanced search you will get results from the excluded forums unless you specifically block them using Advanced search. FYI, beginning July 1, posts in The Lounge will not be indexed in the local search database, though Internet search engines will continue to crawl all posts in the public areas, including The Lounge.

You can not exclude the "News" forum, since it may contain important information we need you to see.

It's still in the experimental stage so let us know if you have problems with it.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Jun-2006, 17:19
Cool! It works for me.

robc
24-Jun-2006, 17:32
Fantastic!

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 18:32
Giving the clientel what they desire... Tom, you'd make a mint in any such business venture!

Kudos to you and the gang! :)

Cheers

Tom Westbrook
25-Jun-2006, 03:30
Thanks, but I should add that the code was a free plugin I found over on the vBulletin.org site. I just installed it :)

Ole Tjugen
25-Jun-2006, 04:22
Thanks! The Lounge is now ignored. :)

David Karp
25-Jun-2006, 08:15
Tom,

Regardless of whether it is a plug-in or something else, thanks for taking the time to continually work on the site.

Bob Gentile
25-Jun-2006, 09:22
Tom,

Regardless of whether it is a plug-in or something else, thanks for taking the time to continually work on the site.
I agree. Moderators have a generally thankless job. Whatever it is -- you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's impossible to keep everyone happy.

You (all) are doing a great job and we appreciate it. Thanks!

Henry Ambrose
25-Jun-2006, 13:08
To access the control, navigate to "User CP" page using the link in the upper menu bar, then select "Edit Options" and scroll to the bottom of the page. The section is "Forums To Exclude From View". Simply select the Forum(s) you want to exclude and save your changes. Instructions are included.

I don't get this control this in "edit options"
Mac OS 10.3.9
Firefox 1.5.0.4

And thanks loads for doing this!!

Henry

Patrik Roseen
25-Jun-2006, 13:13
Henry, the 'edit options' is in the left on the web-page after clicking User-cp...it's not in the OS of your computer...you should then find it at the bottom of the page ...if that is your problem, or?

jnantz
25-Jun-2006, 18:02
Thanks! The Lounge is now ignored. :)

ditto

Henry Ambrose
25-Jun-2006, 18:10
Henry, the 'edit options' is in the left on the web-page after clicking User-cp...it's not in the OS of your computer...you should then find it at the bottom of the page ...if that is your problem, or?

Sorry about the sloppy post I wrote, I was in a hurry to run out the door.
When I go to "Edit Options" I don't see "Forums To Exclude From View".
I included the OS and Browser versions to help with troubleshooting since not all features work the same in all browsers, etc.

QT Luong
26-Jun-2006, 00:16
Henry, are you sure you scrolled to the bottom ? I run the exact same versions of your OS and browser. Do you have any custom privacy/security features enabled ?

Henry Ambrose
26-Jun-2006, 05:43
Henry, are you sure you scrolled to the bottom ? I run the exact same versions of your OS and browser. Do you have any custom privacy/security features enabled ?

Nothing special enabled that I know of. I sent Tom Westbrook a screen grab of the bottom of my "Edit Options" page just a few minutes ago. Let me know if you want it as well.

Henry Ambrose
26-Jun-2006, 06:09
I just went in and changed my view from "almost no images" to "default" and the new controls showed up!

When I switch back to "almost no images" it goes away again.

So if you can't see this "edit option" item you might check your "forum view" (very lower left hand corner of all pages) It should say "Default style" for the "Forums To Exclude From View" to show up.

If it can be broken, I can break it.
; >)

Tom Westbrook
26-Jun-2006, 06:23
My bad. I forgot to update that other style. It should work now.

Fredric92
16-May-2012, 18:29
so interesting

Peter Mounier
17-May-2012, 08:49
I'm not seeing the "edit options" on the "Settings" page. If I go to the "Settings" page ("My Settings" is on the "Settings" page) from the upper menu bar I see "My Settings" but "edit options" is not there.
I thought I'd try what Henry did and change my view ...
I just went in and changed my view from "almost no images" to "default" and the new controls showed up! but I can't even find the option Henry changed; "almost no images". In fact the only view I can see that is changeable is the forum skin. So I changed the forum skin to the default, and still don't see "edit options".

http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/settings.jpg

Ralph Barker
17-May-2012, 16:06
Peter, the original post was made in 2006 regarding a change that was made to the version of software we were running back then. I don't believe a similar change has been made to the new version we installed a few weeks ago.

Peter Mounier
18-May-2012, 06:55
Thanks Ralph
I realized how old the thread was after I posted.

Peter

Peter Mounier
24-Nov-2014, 10:49
Welcome to the forum Andy1. You might want to repost this in the introductions area, or ask a moderator to move your introduction to the more appropriate place; http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?22-Introductions

Got any large format images to share?

Darin Boville
24-Nov-2014, 13:21
I was just about ready to post that this new feature was, in fact, not demanded by the users, is being forced upon us by a totalitarian-style, power mad moderator cabal, and would, in fact, lead to the immediate social fragmentation of our community and thus the destruction of the Large Format Forum in particular and democracy more generally. For shame.

Then I saw that the original post was over eight years old.

Never mind.

--Darin

Racer X 69
24-Nov-2014, 13:54

Me too!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/racerx6948/Smilies/Captain_Spaulding_001.jpg

Kirk Gittings
24-Nov-2014, 20:50
I was just about ready to post that this new feature was, in fact, not demanded by the users, is being forced upon us by a totalitarian-style, power mad moderator cabal, and would, in fact, lead to the immediate social fragmentation of our community and thus the destruction of the Large Format Forum in particular and democracy more generally. For shame.

Never mind.

--Darin

:)

David A. Goldfarb
28-Nov-2014, 15:41
Hey, can we get this feature back, or has it moved somewhere new? With all the "everything else" forums created by the new site organization, I can think of some that I'd like to exclude from view. Nothing against what people post there, but it's easier to view the topics that interest me most in "unified view," if I can edit that.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2014, 17:31
Sure there is a lot chaff here and I am sure i contribute too much crap.

But I constantly find new ideas and things serendipitously.

However if people prefer blinders, let them strap them on.

:)

Ralph Barker
28-Nov-2014, 19:56
Hey, can we get this feature back, or has it moved somewhere new? With all the "everything else" forums created by the new site organization, I can think of some that I'd like to exclude from view. Nothing against what people post there, but it's easier to view the topics that interest me most in "unified view," if I can edit that.

IIRC, this feature was provided by a plug-in, the software developer of which decided not to provide further support. I don't believe anyone has provided a replacement.

But, you can create your personalized version of the "Unified View" as described in this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?17419-Choosing-which-forums-to-view

David A. Goldfarb
30-Nov-2014, 11:42
Thanks, Ralph.