PDA

View Full Version : Loose, un-dark darkslides.

Neilski
24-Jun-2006, 08:57
Does anyone know if you can tighten up the rotating little bent-metal pins that hold the darkslides in place on Fidelity holders? I bought four holders new, less than two years ago and all the 'pins' move very, very easily. So easily in fact, I've recently lost a few negs. Have I got to resort to taping the things in place?

All help very gratefully received.

Neilski.

Ralph Barker
24-Jun-2006, 09:10
Worse than fear of the un-dead is fear of the un-dark. ;)

There was a thread on this a few days ago, but I'm not sure there were any suggestions/conclusions regarding tightening or repair. You might try turning them clockwise to see if the threads are still holding. If so, that should bring the L part tighter to the top of the darkslide.

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 13:11
Does anyone know if you can tighten up the rotating little bent-metal pins that hold the darkslides in place on Fidelity holders? I bought four holders new, less than two years ago and all the 'pins' move very, very easily. So easily in fact, I've recently lost a few negs. Have I got to resort to taping the things in place?

All help very gratefully received.

Neilski.

Neilski,

No, definitely, don't use tape! If you must use something to hold the slide in, I'd go with an elastic band instead. Easy to put on and easy to take off... no sticky residue to attract dust! :)

Cheers

reellis67
24-Jun-2006, 13:34
I've had the same problems with a few of my holders too, except someone removed the pins from a couple that I bought used. The best thing I've come up with is rubber bands, but they can break in the field so keep a handful in ye olde bag just in case. They add a few moments to put on and take off, but you really shouldn't be rushing anyway.

- Randy

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 13:52
Neilski,

Here's the thread Ralph is speaking of:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18175

Cheers

Robert Ley
25-Jun-2006, 07:36
I have recently eliminated this problem by converting my 4x5 holders to the newer Riteway holders with a button locking device that can only be opened when it is inserted in the camera. You can override this feature for loading by pressing in the button. So far no accidental exposures and they have the added feature of a two number (0-9) numbering system on the flap side. One caveat-these can not be used with a Linhoff.

Richard Kelham
25-Jun-2006, 09:56
This really shouldn't be a problem. Don't pick up your dark slides by the sheath. Simple, huh? Besides the locks should tighten up if you screw them in a bit further – clockwise of course.

Neilski
25-Jun-2006, 12:01
Many thanks for all the answers.

Having already tried turning the pins I guess I'll be heading to the stationers tomorrow whispering a jaunty "Just off to buy some rubbers..." as I leave the front door. Bands of course.

Take care, Neilski.