PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Advice

dustym
24-Jun-2006, 00:16
I shoot a 5x4 monorail at present Cambo SC, I need to replace my tripod as its getting worn out, The tripod I have now is a good sturdy manfrotto but it seems to lack a good spread in order stabilise the camera. I can replace the head which is the worn part but im shooting in some conditions where it feels the tripod could easily topple over due to the lack of ground coverage allowable.

Could the forum members give any product names and model references to look up

rgds
Dusty

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 01:22
Hi Dusty,

I shoot with a Manfrotto Model 475 and find it's a nice tripod for supporting either a Dorff 5x7 or, at times, an 8x10.

The head I'm using is either a Manfrotto 405 or 410 depending on the camera.

IMHO, great combinations! :)

Cheers

Greg Lockrey
24-Jun-2006, 03:08
Look at the Fiesol 3471. They are similar to Gitzo and at half the price. They are shipped directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan to US in about four days. I have one with my Sinar P.

dustym
24-Jun-2006, 03:59
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regarding the Fiesol 3471 I cant seem to find a website , would you have the site address
bychance

rgds
Dustym

Bill_1856
24-Jun-2006, 04:15
Used Tiltalls made by Leitz go for less than $100 on ebay (forget the new ones made in China). They weigh 6# complete with pan/tilt head. IMO they are the best tripods made for cameras up to 5x7 (they were originally designed before WW2 for the Cine-Kodak).

Walter Calahan
24-Jun-2006, 05:02
I don't understand why when it comes to tripods photographers want to save money. A good, solid tripod and head are essential to a quality image. What good is spending money on great optics and a reliable camera, when they shake, rattle and roll.

So do your homework, ask questions (as you have done here), and go out and physcially examine verious models of tripods to see if they match your needs.

Are you shooting only in a studio, only in the field, or both? Do you backpack your camera to remote areas, or shoot from the back of your car? Are you shooting long glass at lot (here you may need two tripods)? Do you shoot macro? Do you shoot in winter a lot (carbon or wood might serve you better in extreme cold)? Just to name a few questions I'd ask a friend if they asked for advice.

Here's a few resources to review. There are many more.

http://www.riestripod.com/

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

etc.

Frank Petronio
24-Jun-2006, 05:16
A lot of pros I used to work for as an assistant - who weren't backpacking their gear - would use 20lb Gitzo 5 series tripods with tiny Hasselblads. If you aren't a hiker, bigger is always better.

Joseph O'Neil
24-Jun-2006, 06:04
Get a Berlebach tripod. Great stuff.

joe

Sheldon N
24-Jun-2006, 08:14
www.feisol.com

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regarding the Fiesol 3471 I cant seem to find a website , would you have the site address
bychance

rgds
Dustym

Bob Gentile
24-Jun-2006, 08:25
Used Tiltalls made by Leitz go for less than $100 on ebay (forget the new ones made in China). They weigh 6# complete with pan/tilt head. IMO they are the best tripods made for cameras up to 5x7 (they were originally designed before WW2 for the Cine-Kodak).
Interesting. My Tiltall goes back to "pre-Leitz" days -- to the Marchioni era. I've used it with 35mm since before there was dirt and to this day, it's never let me down. But when I moved into LF (4x5), I wasn't sure about it, so I got a surveyor's tripod. Not much to look at, but I figgered it's sturdy as all get-out and those guys have to set up their pods in all kinds of terrain. So I rigged up a head for it and never looked back.

And to think I could've been using my Tiltall all along! I wish I had seen this post two years ago.

Brian Ellis
24-Jun-2006, 09:32
"I don't understand why when it comes to tripods photographers want to save money. "

Because there isn't a linear relationship between price and quality. In fact in many cases there's no relationship at all.

My suggestion to the OP would be to search the archives here. You should find a wealth of information because questions about tripods are one of the most frequently discussed subjects. Also go to the web sites of places such as Adorama that carry most brands of tripods and that contain specs and prices. Then after you've narrowed your choices down to a few possibilities based on your price range and needs come back and ask here about those specific models.

Greg Lockrey
24-Jun-2006, 09:39
Just because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg doesn't mean that it's not good. When I got my first Gitzo some 35 years ago, they were the new kid on the block too and came at bargin price. Feisol makes the graphite tubes that everyone else uses. They decided to cut out the middlemen. Here is their site: http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2006, 10:33
" Feisol makes the graphite tubes that everyone else uses."

Afraid not.

Both Gitzo and Giottos use the same carbon tubes and they come from France, not the far East.

Gordon Coale
24-Jun-2006, 10:41
If you want sturdy you might consider a Majestic Tripod (http://www.electricedge.com/greymatter/archives/00006178.htm). Very expensive new but can be had at reasonable prices on eBay. Pretty versatile, too.

Marko
24-Jun-2006, 10:50
Dusty,

I have a Calumet 540, which is very similar to the SC. I certainly do not take it on a hike and can't really imagine that anybody would, unless they really had to.

So, my tripod is not a hiking tripod either. What I have is Bogen 3246 with 3047 head and have been very happy with the combination. Even if you do take it out, the way this tripod is made, it's very easy to maintain and clean, especially sand. It won't break your bank either.

Good luck.

resummerfield
24-Jun-2006, 14:09
.....so I got a surveyor's tripod. Not much to look at, but I figgered it's sturdy as all get-out and those guys have to set up their pods in all kinds of terrain. So I rigged up a head for it and never looked back......Same with me. For any setup outside, I find that a heavy wooden tripod with long spikes is essential.

dustym
25-Jun-2006, 01:34
I really would like to go for a wooden tripod and I have thought of the surveyors tripod idea as well, I will do a little more searching but thankyou to the members for responding in such a positive manner.

Rgds

Dusty

Greg Lockrey
25-Jun-2006, 03:46
If you want wood...then Reis by all means.

Frank Petronio
25-Jun-2006, 07:07
How are these Feisol tripods? Any real-world reviews or experience?

Greg Lockrey
25-Jun-2006, 11:21
How are these Feisol tripods? Any real-world reviews or experience?
I purchased one about a month ago on a recommendation of an outdoors photograpoher friend of mine who is pretty anal about his purchases. I was skeptical about a Taiwan made product too. But for half the price of a Gitzo 1325 I would take the chance. It would be easy enough to unload it on e-bay. Having Gitzo and Reis to compare to, the Feisol is more than worth the cost. Whether or not it will hold up like the Reis remains to be seen, but the outdoor crowd seems to like them over the Gitzos especially in rugged use. If the speed that Fiesol got this to me is any indication of their quality and service, the rest of the world better take notice to the "new" China. To compare, I ordered a Sinar Pan Tilt head from Canada on the same day and the Feisol got to me a week earlier.

Frank Petronio
25-Jun-2006, 12:36
Oh, I've seen some wondering quality manufacturing from China, and Taiwan is probably even better and more consistent.

I don't have a problem with where it is made at this point, it just an unknown brand. I don't suppose there is a practical warranty with one?

Greg Lockrey
25-Jun-2006, 12:51
This is copied from their site:
Within our one year warranty period, if there is any damage due to manufacture defect or parts defect, then the user will be responsible for return shipping cost only. For other damages, the user is responsible for roundtrip shipping cost and also for parts and labor cost. Our factory is located in Taiwan. All tripods requiring service and repair have to be shipped back to Taiwan only. So if you check your local post office, you can probably estimated the shipping cost.

For small parts damage, we usually ship replacement parts to our customers free of charge even it's passed warranty period. If carbon fiber tube is damaged due to cause other than manufacture defect, then we will charge the material cost for replacement tube. All parts are ship from us directly to our customers and also give them instruction on repair."

There is a guy in California who does import them. I don't have his name but you can find his e-bay store by searching Feisol.

Sheldon N
25-Jun-2006, 13:06
I have the Feisol CT-3301N and have been pleased with it and with their service as well. The shipping was very fast when I purchased it, and it's a great sturdy and lightweight tripod legset, especially for the price.

I also had the opportunity to deal with their warrantee service, when I managed to crack the mounting point on one leg. In all fairness, it was totally my fault because I was trying to plant the legs in deep snow (several feet deep) with a Cambo 4x5 rail mounted on the head. If you've never tried to plant a tripod in deep snow, what happens is the legs all try to continue in a straight line through the snow, forcing the tripod to spread wider - like doing the splits. I was basically pile driving (and I mean pile driving!) the legs into the snow with 12lbs of camera/lens/head on it. It cracked a leg mount - not the tube or the crown, but the top metal hinge at the end of the leg. The tripod continued to function fine and remained stable, and I didn't even notice the crack for a couple weeks (though I remembered having heard the "crack" when I did it). I emailed Feisol and told them what happened and they were nice enough to send me a free replacement leg the next day, with instructions how to replace it. I had the leg within 4 days, and the tripod is good as new.

A Gitzo is a better tripod overall, but for the price you can't beat a Feisol. I'd gladly buy another one of their legsets.

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
25-Jun-2006, 13:14
As Walter Callahan says, it is difficult to understand why one tries to get away with spending necessities such as a good tripod. I would suggest that you don't sk.mp over that one. Both Ries and Berlebach have good models. Good luck..