PDA

View Full Version : Processing Colour Neg in Canada (Alberta)

Eric Fredine
23-Jun-2006, 21:08
Well, I'm feeling abandoned. I can't seem to find anyone to process 4X5 colour negatives for me in Alberta. Carousel (in Edmonton) and ABL Imaging (Calgary) have both stopped doing 4X5 colour negatives (and ColorFast in Edmonton is no more). There is a guy in Calgary, Ed's Photo, who does colour neg but I wasn't happy with a batch he did for me (uneven processing resulting in 'blotches' - uses something called a 'wanger'?) - probably need to go back and go through it with him.

Anywhere else in Alberta? Failing that, recommendations on other places in Canada (looks like I'll be mailing) - Vancouver, Toronto?

Thanks,
Eric

http://www.ericfredine.com/

tim atherton
23-Jun-2006, 22:33
wow - that sucks. When did Carousel stop? (and I hadn't realsied ABL had stopped too...).

Have to get the old Jobo going I guess.... jeesh

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 00:12
Well, I'm feeling abandoned. I can't seem to find anyone to process 4X5 colour negatives for me in Alberta. Carousel (in Edmonton) and ABL Imaging (Calgary) have both stopped doing 4X5 colour negatives (and ColorFast in Edmonton is no more). There is a guy in Calgary, Ed's Photo, who does colour neg but I wasn't happy with a batch he did for me (uneven processing resulting in 'blotches' - uses something called a 'wanger'?) - probably need to go back and go through it with him.

Anywhere else in Alberta? Failing that, recommendations on other places in Canada (looks like I'll be mailing) - Vancouver, Toronto?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Try:

the Lab, 108 West 1st Avenue - 604.876.1737

or

G. King Photo, 472 West 15th Avenue - 604.873.9329

Both places have very high standards for chemistry quality control and they do the majority of the processing work for the pro crowd.

Lens and Shutter on West Broadway is another decent lab - 604.736.3461 (more expensive rates though.)

ABC Photocolor is suppose to be quite decent too... but, to be up front, I've never had the opportunity of using them.

My first choice is The Lab, followed by G. King Photo. :)

I believe G. King Photo has a website and if you do a Google for them... it'll show up with all the relevant info. I don't think the Lab has one. Anyway, Google them all! :)

Good luck

Cheers

tim atherton
24-Jun-2006, 07:42
dammit - after 15 years of having to ship anything that wasn't C41 35mm south from Yellowknife, I was looking forward to days when I could just stroll to the lab...

well, at least Carousel was still doing 4x5 E6 last week... ?

Eric Fredine
24-Jun-2006, 07:57
Thanks H.D.C. - I'll give the Vancouver guys a go.

Tim - Yes, Carousel is still doing E6 (as is ABL in Calgary). I'm not sure when Carousel quit doing C41 - I found out yesterday :). I've been working in Calgary (during the week) so I was taking stuff to ABL - they quit processing C41 sometime in the last few months. I haven't been shooting that much (too busy with work) but more C41 than E6 at the moment.

It's a real hassle. Big Sigh. Fantasies of 40MP digital backs hover in my head...

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Fredine
24-Jun-2006, 08:17
Well, I see that Vistek has the Phase One P45 on sale - it's only $36K...

Capocheny
24-Jun-2006, 13:32
Thanks H.D.C. - I'll give the Vancouver guys a go.

Tim - Yes, Carousel is still doing E6 (as is ABL in Calgary). I'm not sure when Carousel quit doing C41 - I found out yesterday :). I've been working in Calgary (during the week) so I was taking stuff to ABL - they quit processing C41 sometime in the last few months. I haven't been shooting that much (too busy with work) but more C41 than E6 at the moment.

It's a real hassle. Big Sigh. Fantasies of 40MP digital backs hover in my head...

Cheers,
Eric

Eric,

One suggestion in Calgary... isn't Nova Photo, on 11th Avenue, still doing processing work? They use to be fanatical about the chemistry quality controls and did test strips two and three times a day. But, that was under the original owner and he sold the business years ago.

Only 36K you say??? As much as I'd LOVE to have one for my 4x5, it would indeed be a very cold day in the middle of summer before I spent that sort of dollar on a digital back.

But, if I won a lotto... all bets would be off! :)

Cheers

Eric Fredine
25-Jun-2006, 21:27
I think I checked with Nova - and no go - but I'll double-check (they are just down the street from where I work after all).

Capocheny
25-Jun-2006, 22:23
Eric,

When I lived in Calgary, they were "the" place where all the pros took their film. Again though... they've been sold and who knows about the new owners?

If they've stopped... try the places out here in Vancouver that I've recommended. Now, I KNOW these places still do it since I drop my stuff off to them every odd day! :)

Good luck

Cheers

BBW
25-Jun-2006, 23:41

Thanks,
Eric

You may try Vistek's main store in Calgary. Last time I heard, they had a dip and dunk line up and running for E6, maybe also for C41.

Eric Fredine
26-Jun-2006, 05:41
Vistek defintiely doesn't run a C41 dip and dunk. Thanks, Eric

tim atherton
29-Jun-2006, 10:19
has anyone tried

www.edsphotoservices.ca

?

Eric Fredine
29-Jun-2006, 20:33
Yeah, I tried Ed's. In fact, his business is fairly close to the house where I stay while I'm working in Calgary. All the C41 sheets he processed for me had 'splotches' on them.

In one case, I have an Astia transparency and a C41 sheet of the same scene - a foggy scene in which the top half is just a colour gradient. The Astia sheet was processed at ABL and it looks great. The scan of the C41 sheet is awful. I can't really see the splotches looking at the sheet directly, but they are very obvious in a scan. I haven't gone back to discuss it with Ed - so it's possible there is something I've overlooked or something else I've done wrong.

Cheers,
Eric