PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Landscape Locations

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Jun-2006, 15:05
I'll be in coastal South Carolina next week, about halfway between Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Does anyone have any landscape photography recommendations for this area? I am specifically interested in swamp and wetland scenery, but other landscape/architecture subjects interest me as well. Thanks!

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2006, 22:03
This might not be what you're looking for, but Aiken is a delightful place (at least back in the 80's when I was there) Check out the polo field when they have a match (definately Speed Graphic territory) Also Biltmore Estate---I have no idea what the tripod situation is there however.

You want swamps? Too many snakes with big sharp teeth for me :-(

jackies
23-Jun-2006, 23:34
There is an old ruin south of Myrtle Beach that might be interesting for you. It is on the land side of some nice dunes that you could photograph also. Can't remember the name of it. But will try to look it up. You might be able to find info at the local visitor center.

Charleston - wonderful historic homes and sites.

Have fun,
Jackie

Brian Ellis
24-Jun-2006, 09:39
I used to drive through parts of South Carolina on my way from Florida to Washington, D.C. I'm sure there must be some appealing landscapes, specifically marshes, in South Carolina but I never found any in the part I was in. Myrtle Beach was right up there with Gatlinburg as testimony to the idea that no matter how hideous places you've previously visited can be, there's always something worse.

Greg Lockrey
24-Jun-2006, 09:47
I haven't been there in about 30 years when I was stationed in Charleston but the old Plantations are always good to see. But you are a little late for the magnolias. You can get a list from any photo shop.

Eric Leppanen
24-Jun-2006, 10:37
http://www.photographamerica.com/issue55.htm

jackies
24-Jun-2006, 19:19
Yes, I used this newsletter for some photo ideas. However, there is one preserve on the south of Myrtle that is now a condo highrise! I believe he talks about the ruins in it.

Jackie

sanking
25-Jun-2006, 17:59
I'll be in coastal South Carolina next week, about halfway between Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Does anyone have any landscape photography recommendations for this area? I am specifically interested in swamp and wetland scenery, but other landscape/architecture subjects interest me as well. Thanks!

Hi Brian,

I live in South Carolina and have spent a lot of time on the coast, though almost all of it either in Charleston or in the area around Beaufort. One of the treasures of the coast is Hunting Island, a barrier island south of Beaufort, just north of Fripp Island. Most of it is a state park. In the Charleston are ask for directions to the Angel Oak. I know how to get there but can not remenber the road signs.

Charleston itself is one of the great cities of the world, with a tremendous wealth of architecture, some of it going back to the early 16th century. At the time of the American revolution Charleston was one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the colonies, and a great part of the architecture is preserved in a small part of the old city. You could spend days there with a given project and never finish.

But truthfully, the best time to visit the SC coast is fall, winter or spring. It is dreadfully hot and humid there in the summer.

Sandy

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Jun-2006, 22:19
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like I'll try to do a few day trips to explore. I believe the ruin on the beach that several of you were refering to is called Atalaya, and was the home of the Huntingtons, a railroad magnate and his sculpter wife. My parent's home (who I will be visiting) is just a few miles away, and I've photographed there several times (I recommend it to those who make it to the area).

bgh
27-Jun-2006, 04:58
You might want to take a run out to Pawley's Island as well, not too far from Atalaya--some lovely combinations of sea island imagery and old houses.

Across US 17 from Atalaya, and originally part of the Huntington's estate, is Brookgreen Gardens--an astounding collection of figurative sculpture set into a beautiful garden, much of it highly photogenic. Plus, the gardens extend up toward the Waccamaw River, with the potential for some wonderful scenery. Brookgreen is one of the *very* few things that I miss about living in Charleston.

From Brookgreen, it is less than 30 minutes down to Georgetown, about as delightful a little South Carolina coastal village/city as you'll find. You might find some nice scenery there--a few streets with nineeteenth century houses framed by live oaks with spanish moss, that sort of thing.

Good luck!

Steve Hamley
27-Jun-2006, 07:50
Try Congaree National Park for swamps. Do be aware that it gets very humid in the summertime and a friend of mine said he was there one time in the dog days and couldn't shoot because his lens kept fogging up. He lives down there and one particularly hot spell we asked him about it and he said Satan had a summer home a couple of miles down the road.

Steve

bgh
28-Jun-2006, 05:28
Try Congaree National Park for swamps. Do be aware that it gets very humid in the summertime and a friend of mine said he was there one time in the dog days and couldn't shoot because his lens kept fogging up. He lives down there and one particularly hot spell we asked him about it and he said Satan had a summer home a couple of miles down the road.

Steve

Sounds like the old line that the only thing between hell and Columbia on a summer day is a screen door.