PDA

View Full Version : Single Weight Paper

Mark Christopherson
21-Jan-2000, 11:17
I'm a newcomer to LF, and I am currently contact printing on Azo. I'm frustrate d by the amount of curling in the paper; I have followed the threads on this sit e regarding this issue, and have tried pressing the paper under books, etc. I d o not own a dry mount press, nor do I plan to get one in the near future, since I'm a beginner and am attempting to keep costs down at this time. Should I aban don single weight paper until I'm ready to purchase a press? Is there an inexpe nsive solution to this problem? If RC is more appropriate for me, is there a sl ower paper suitable for contact printing?

David Grandy
21-Jan-2000, 13:04
There used to be a "Print Flattening Solution" available. You'd soak the print in it an it would be remarkably flat after it dried. I have no idea if it is still available, or whether you need a fibre based print dryer to make it work.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
21-Jan-2000, 14:44
I don't know Mark.

I'm wondering though, what's the humidity in your domicile/abode/darkroom like? Could that have an affect? Try contacting Paula Chamlee & Michael A. Smith at http://www.michaelandpaula.com. They use Azo exclusively and must have run across this at least once. SOme of their prints are 18 X 22 - inches.

I use Azo myself and although I own two dry mount presses (wanna buy one? cheap?) I've never used 'em for print flattening. I agree the prices for new ones are ludicrous to say the least. Instead, I rely on the old Oxford English Dictionary and a couple of other choice weighty tomes acquired at yardsales.

I keep the prints under all that for days, sometimes weeks at a time. Although it doesn't completely eliminate the curl it does make 'em behave better. I have ten of them mounted - with those archival clear corners, not drymount tissue, and framed with glass at the moment. At the end of the month I'll take 'em out and see what, if any impact that has had on them.

I used some of Kodaks print flattening solution and had negligible results - perhaps the dilution they recommend is too dilute for SW paper? Perhaps a combination of the above methods? Let us know what you find out.

james mickelson
23-Jan-2000, 17:56
The secret to flattening prints under the higher tech method of large heavy books is to let the emulsion dry out but the paper itself should be ever so slightly still damp. You will be able to tell by the feel. It is still supple and not bone dry. I have dried my prints by hanging and on screens and have never had a problem with not being able to flatten them completely. No wrinkles or curl in 80% humidity to santa ana wind 10%. The secret is "don't do it after they have dried to a crisp." If you're worried about the emulsion getting dinged- don't. Just be careful. james