PDA

View Full Version : Why do you shoot 4x5 (or 5x7, 8x10, etc)?

Bill_1856
22-Jun-2006, 12:51
I don't do it very often, and (unfortunately) don't do it very well. But it gives me the feeling of mastery of the medium which I don't get with other formats.
Technically, LF is a PITA compared to 35mm, MF, or Digital, and unless you're making HUGE enlargements or contacts there would appear to be little advantage. I do it because it makes me slow down and appreciate being a photographer. In a sense it's like working in the darkroom, which I have come to really hate, but I'm sure that it makes me better at composition and technique. As a retired scientist/engineer I also enjoy working with fine equipment, especially when it's (even) older than I am.

Christopher Perez
22-Jun-2006, 12:53
I use 4x5 for perspective/image controls

I use 8x10 for contact printing

I use both formats for processing controls (one sheet at a time, if needs be)

Joseph O'Neil
22-Jun-2006, 13:02
In no particular order...

1) Tonal rendition & quality in B&W;
2) use of movements;
3) I actually find it easier than 35mm or 120 (but don't ask me to explain how or why)
..and if all that fails, then I fall back on...
#4) by defect of mental incompetence
:)

joe

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
22-Jun-2006, 13:06
1. Movements.
2. You can adjust your composition on the GG.
3. You obtain rich colors and tonality.
4. Instead of dealing w/bells & whistles you focus on (sorry for the pun) the composition.
5. You can develop your negatives individually.
6. Ag is longer lasting.

Cheers..

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
22-Jun-2006, 13:09
Let me make one correction to my previous post:

I answered the question assuming that smaller formats would be mostly digital in our day and age, although I myself still use silver. Other than that my first five answers are the valid rewasons for me.

Gordon Moat
22-Jun-2006, 13:20
1. Movements
2. Might as well use 4x5 when I am taking shots from a tripod (as opposed to 35mm or medium format)
3. More like going to a location and drawing a scene or subject
4. Planning and composition advantage to ground glass over smaller viewfinders
5. Good source for big printing needs

Two reasons for 4x5 over larger large format:
1. Readyload or Quickload systems
2. Ability to fit all needed items (except tripod) while meeting airline carry-on restrictions

I do still use 35mm and various medium format cameras for some work. There are advantages and disadvantages I find in each format and various camera systems. I also rent digital backs or D-SLRs as needed, if a client absolutely feels they must have direct to digital capture.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Ole Tjugen
22-Jun-2006, 13:23
Time.

Using LF slows me down enough to see what the final picture will actually look like, so the success rate is sky high compared to the smaller formats. Better tonality, movements and the near total compatibility of a wide variety of lenses are important bonuses.

Capocheny
22-Jun-2006, 13:33
I do it because it makes me slow down and appreciate being a photographer.

...I also enjoy working with fine equipment, especially when it's (even) older than I am.

Hi Bill,

You hit both nails on the head as they apply to me as well! Back about 8 or so years ago my life was running rampant and waaaaaaaaaay out of control due to my work committments and other social obligations. As a result, I consciously wanted to slow it down somewhat. Well, I first did that by changing my writing instruments and went from a ball point/rollerball to fountainpen. The big problem was that I soon became a collector of beautifully made fountainpens! :)

So, what next? Well, I was shooting a lot of street images back then and thought about the next logical step toward continuing on my path to "slowing down." A friend introduced me to the sins of e**y and I soon discovered the large format camera section. Well, one thing lead to another and I ended up with not one... but two brand new in box Sinar cameras (an X and F2!) An authorized dealer was getting out of LF and, therefore, selling his remaining stock. I also ended up buying an Auto-shutter from him. The rest is, as they say, history!

I wanted to be able to shoot out in the field without the need for booking a donkey or Sherpa to lug my gear around. So, I picked up a Dorff 5x7... and, now, an 8x10!

For the time being, I'm looking to use the 8x10 for contact printing and the 4x5/5x7 for enlargements.

Isn't life grand? :)

Cheers

Mike H.
22-Jun-2006, 14:11
Specifically because I discovered that all those photographers getting detail in their prints that I couldn't obtain with 35mm were using large format cameras. I therefore joined a large format class at school and bought a 4X5 ARCA-SWISS field camera. Aha! I started getting lots more detail. Movements, the admiration of awe-struck strangers, increased muscle mass from carrying loads of equipment, access to readyloads, my own darkroom, a slower life style as I tried to figure everything out, etc., those all just followed. None of them were thought of in advance. Only more detail. And more detail. Someday I want a 20 X 24 camera, the ability to scan and photo shop the negatives, a printer that'll put out a new 40 X 48 negative, and the ability to contact print the same with stunning silver paper available to no one else in the world. I'm not crazy. Really. Just want detail. :o

JW Dewdney
22-Jun-2006, 14:15
For me,
It's simply an issue of composition. I can't seem to decently compose on 8x10 or bigger. 35mm doesn't really work for me either - the composition just seems to fall apart. medium format and 4x5 ground glass seems to be the way to go. Interestingly - when I draw - my most successful compositions are also small. I figure it's related somehow.

Jay DeFehr
22-Jun-2006, 14:20
For me, it's all about contact printing. I love my vintage portrait lenses and enlarging seems to mitigate or destroy their magic. Contact printing large negatives is very relaxing and simple compared to enlarging small negatives, which I also do regularly.

Jay

Eric Leppanen
22-Jun-2006, 14:27
I shoot LF due to its incredible image quality, DOF (tilt/swing) and perspective control. Neither MF, digital or 35mm can provide these qualities to a comparable extent.

I think there are some misconceptions regarding the benefits of the larger LF formats (5x7, 8x10, etc.) versus 4x5. For color work, for many subjects (particularly those with fine foliage and other detail-sensitive content) shooting 8x10 yields noticeable print quality improvements even with print sizes as small as 16x20". I have a drum-scanned 20x24" Chromira print taken from an 8x10 chrome mounted on my living room wall, which shows a degree of detail and tonality that I never achieved shooting 4x5. I have several similar 4x5-based prints next to it, and houseguests always immediately gravitate to the 8x10-based image. For B&W, a well-done 2x "traditional" (optical enlarger) enlargement (16x20" print) can often approach contact-print quality, whereas a 4x traditional enlargement from 4x5 would start losing some resolution and tonality.

So I shoot 8x10 whenever I can, 4x5 when 8x10 isn't feasible, and smaller formats as a last resort.

bruce terry
22-Jun-2006, 15:00
For the contact image, 8x10, got rid of everything else to slow down and enjoy.

darr
22-Jun-2006, 15:12
Polaroid 55

Capocheny
22-Jun-2006, 15:15
And, Darr, might I add that... you use Polaroid 55 very well! :)

Cheers

Robert Oliver
22-Jun-2006, 15:24
because it doesn't have a green rectangle or a picture of a mountain on it...

Hiro
22-Jun-2006, 15:58
I got interested in and started LF (4x5) for technical reasons...the larger film to capture more detail and movements to control the focus-plane and perspective. IOW, to try a hand on making "incredible images," so to speak. It's been only a couple of years, but now I do it for the relaxed pace as much as for the technical benefits. It was frustrating in the beginning for sure, but I started to enjoy the process once (maybe a few times) I uttered the magic words, "what the f****."

As mentioned, the necessity to slow down (and the urge to make every darn shot count) increased the "hit rate" for me, too. Since I started LF, the results of using SLR have also improved markedly, consuming less film. I feel it's an important element to make better images.

Dan Fromm
22-Jun-2006, 16:47
Its larger than 35 mm.

John Kasaian
22-Jun-2006, 17:21
Because its fun. Oh yeah, cameras with bellows are "chick magnets" too ;-) Plus you don't need batteries. Did I mention that cameras with bellows are "chick magnets?"

Linhof
22-Jun-2006, 17:54
Camera movement and bigger film size.

Mike Lewis
22-Jun-2006, 18:11
I enjoy the technical challenge of using the camera, and sometimes I get nice, detailed photos. As for "chick magnet", well, my 4x5 seems to be a geek magnet. *sigh*

Robert Oliver
22-Jun-2006, 18:40
chick magnet? maybe i'm using mine wrong. even my wife runs the other way when the 4x5 comes out.

Bob Gentile
22-Jun-2006, 19:04
I always shot 35mm with a tripod, taking lots of time, fussing over composition and lighting... so one day I figgered, as long as I shoot like a LF shooter, I may as well shoot LF.

Ed Richards
22-Jun-2006, 19:43
I shoot 4x5 black and white for the detail and the tone and the time warp experience. I would shoot a larger format, but the logistics look too troublesome - I typically shoot 30-60 sheets in a day, maybe 15-25 set ups in the field, usually two sheets per set up. Just lugging 30 8x10 holders around is a scary thought.:-) I am curious how do those of you who shoot 8x10 deal with the holders.

Eric Leppanen
22-Jun-2006, 20:19
I would shoot a larger format, but the logistics look too troublesome...Just lugging 30 8x10 holders around is a scary thought.:-) I am curious how do those of you who shoot 8x10 deal with the holders.

I actually own thirty 8x10 film holders, not because I necessarily shoot that much per day, but because I like to carry several different film stocks with me in the field. The holders are stored in five holder cases, which I keep in the back seat of my car when I go on photo trips (the cases have no labeling and look to would-be burglars like so much baggage). The camera equipment itself is kept out-of-sight in the trunk of the car.

I can store up to four holders in my camera backpack, and carry along a holder case if I need more film for a given set-up (film holder case in left hand, tripod in right hand, backpack strapped to back). If I need even more film, I can dangle a second holder case from my neck, or (if the trail I'm hiking on is fairly flat and paved) load the entire kit onto a baby jogger I have configured for the job (it also gets folded and stored in the back seat of the car) which makes the entire experience so much easier. Of course no one is going to take long hikes with such a setup, but short hikes (say 1/4 mile from the parking lot) are pretty easy.

I am admittedly a fairly extreme example. Most folks get by with far fewer holders: they shoot in the morning; find a picnic bench or equivalent to set up their changing tent to change/reload; then shoot in the afternoon; then change/reload at the motel at night.

Obviously this is oriented toward a dedicated photo trip and not a family vacation (the camera stuff fills the entire car!). But for taking several trips per year (even for just a weekend) it works great, and the technical photo quality of 8x10 is just superb.

Ed K.
22-Jun-2006, 20:31
Well, for one thing I couldn't afford a 48 bit gigapixel digital back, especially since buying one without a green rectangle or zigzag button would cost double.

For the image quality on larger prints, instant capture and of course movements of the view camera, the LF equipment works out very well. For small magazine single page shots and catalog work, it's not cost effective or productive enough time-wise on larger jobs. Great for a cover beauty shot, or large array of small parts. I shoot LF when detail or longevity of the print are the objectives, or when I have no other gear that will accomodate the need. I also shoot LF because of countless times I've been out with smaller format only to get fantastic shots that I wish could be printed bigger. Sigh, of course, just dealing with the bulk of LF has at times resulted in the opposite - equipment to get the big print, but not being able to get to the right place and time fast enough; or, while "waiting for the light", having the light get worse.

LF is great to use when presenting work to other photographers, or when one needs a good excuse for a back rub request - is that the "chick magnet" part? For me, the LF seems to be more of a good will ambasador, at least those who take notice are usually good natured if it's a wooden camera ( never use a aluminium Sinar in a metro area - the opposite happens! ).

For fun, I often *like* the one with the little green rectangle because it's ready to shoot from a cold startup in 1.3 seconds, and *it* forces me to concentrate on what's going on with the image..the picture itslelf instead of technical or logistic considerations. The picture has to be really good with the pocket cam, whereas sometimes the sheer quality and detail of the LF tends to impress quite a bit.

Long-time LF and MF shooter Peter Goland's current favorite camera? A Pentax 35mm!

It's the quality, which has to be good enough to justify the time and expense. And yes, at times there are those Walter Mitty moments...

bruce terry
22-Jun-2006, 20:32
Wow Ed R! That is serious 4x5 negative-making. That many 8x10 field negs every day might put you in serious condition in the ER!

I do 2 to 8 negs a month, carry just 2 8x10 holders in the pack, couple more in the Jeep case I need 'em. After that I'm tired.

Different goals and situations here, min-max, Ying-Yang.

Hugo Zhang
22-Jun-2006, 20:42
8x10

1. ground glass as a tool of discovery,

2. the whole process of LF thing, like a meditation,

3. so many variables you have to get it right to get your fine print, the low and the high,

4. the exquisite beauty of contact prints.

jnantz
22-Jun-2006, 21:16
old lenses

John Kasaian
22-Jun-2006, 22:21
As far as lugging around a lot of 8x10 film holders around---I don't. Usually I only have four holders in the pack. I'll take maybe two shots of a scene at max. I figure if I can't get it in two shots then I don't deserve it (of course I grew up with a double barrel shotgun, which might have something to do with my mentality)

Cheers!

darr
23-Jun-2006, 06:23
And, Darr, might I add that... you use Polaroid 55 very well! :)

Cheers

Thank you! You are so kind!!

Jim Jirka
23-Jun-2006, 06:43
I shoot a 4x5 film camera to get away from the digital technobable herd.

j.e.simmons
23-Jun-2006, 07:36
I shoot 8x10 for the detail, the process, and contact printing. Also old lenses (a 100-year old triple convertible Rapid Rectillinear is my current favorite). I can't see the ground glass as well on 4x5, and if I'm going to make a contact print, I'd rather have the larger negative.

I hurt my back a few months ago, and a guy at a camera store offered me a Mamiya RB67 for about half of the price on ebay. I looked it over and realized the back looked exactly like a real Graflex Graflock back. I went out to the car and got one of my 2x3 Grafmatics - it fit the RB67 perfectly. I'm now shooting an RB67 with sheet film, on a tripod, just as I shoot the 8x10.

So much so, that on a recent photo outing, a friend who shoots digital asked,, "Why do you stand to the side of the camera when you trip the shutter? Why don't you look through the viewfinder?" I didn't realize I was doing that.

juan

Bruce Watson
23-Jun-2006, 10:14
I shoot 5x4 simply because I like it.

Scott Davis
23-Jun-2006, 12:16
8x10 platinum/palladium contact prints. 'nuff said.

David_Senesac
23-Jun-2006, 20:17
I used 35mm long years as a serious hobby. Then bought 6x7 and 4x5 but did not use the 4x5 much as it was too much hassle since I had not figured out a smooth consistent methods in the field. Also would get too many light leaks from mishandling holders or improperly storing exposed film and was too inconsistent with exposures. Eventually I brainstormed how to use 4x5consistently in the field and have never looked back. I don't regret using the smaller format many years as I would never have been able to visit all the wonderful places a lighter system allows. That is also a boon to my 4x5 field work as I have extensive knowledge of excellent locations to lug the big beast without having to waste time exploring. Also it is only this last decade with the advent of drum scanners and the new generation of printers like the Lightjet that we can easily make large prints with consistent results. These days I am on my third compact digital camera, a 7mp Coolpix that I use for large numbers of informational shots and closeups.

The 4x5 is only about large detailed prints. I mostly only expose Provia with the 4x5 to capture highly detailed relatively natural light images. Am quite picky about only shooting worthy subjects and almost never bracket. Resulting 4x5 transparencies can have considerably more detail than just the relative ratio of say 6x7 to 4x5 would indicate and that is due to movements. The whole process of shooting is also more exciting when I've got a terrific image sharply focused on my groundglass and expose a sheet. I am also more tuned into the landscape than ever before because there is so much more to carefully consider on a large groundglass and at a slower pace. ...David

Bill_1856
24-Jun-2006, 04:26
David, did the disappearance of Kodachrome 25 with flawless overnight Kodak processing have anythng to do with your switch from 35mm to 4x5? (It certainly changed my shooting habits.)

bruce terry
24-Jun-2006, 11:23
Bill - Since you mention old-world Kodachrome, go back one more step to the old e.i.10 Kodachrome. Nothing was better than that stuff.

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2006, 15:00
Mamma did take our Kodachrome away!

Geert
24-Jun-2006, 15:08
to relax... from making the negative to making the print.

A second and very important reason is because I like to make things myself.
I started with building a 4x5", later on a 5x7 with 4x5 reducing back and now a 7x17" is almost finished :-)

G

Ken Lee
24-Jun-2006, 15:28
I shoot 4x5 in B&W for my serious work, because it represents a "sweet-spot": the convergence of image quality, portability, affordability, availability of equipment, and permanence.

Doug Dolde
24-Jun-2006, 21:27
I can't afford high end digital. If I could I'd drop 4x5 like a piece of wet smelly dog doo.

Gary Tarbert
25-Jun-2006, 05:55
after years of shooting 35mm &MF and asking whats missing ? Bought my first LF camera 2 years ago question answered.

Scott Fleming
25-Jun-2006, 15:52
1. Because I'm making prints from roughly 30" x 44" to 40" by 52" and selling them from $800 to $1200. It was the big prints that got me into a local gallery when the average sized typical matted Chromira prints were going nowhere.

2. I can't aford an Aptus 75.

Jimi
27-Jun-2006, 13:27
For the experience of "being there" - it's a meditation and a way to relax. The contact prints look so good! It has something to do with "I did this"; being able to create something tangible. Even if I only make it for myself, for the fun of it. No matter what digital stuff comes along.