PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao Compendium Lens Shade Filters

cblurton
21-Jun-2006, 17:31
I recently purchased a Shen-Hao HZX45IIA with some other gear including the Shen-Hao compendium lens shade from Seagull Trading Company in Shanghai. The lens shade has two slots for filters and masks - one at the front and one at the back. These slots measure 115mm square and about 2-3 mm thick. After many inquiries to Seagull, Shen-Hao, Lee, Cokin, Badger, the View Camera Store, and others, it appears that nobody manufactures 115mm filters that will fit this shade.

Seagull Trading Company suggested (see below) I contact the Toyo company which I did but haven’t received a response, so one question I have is for Toyo owners. Does Toyo make or market 115mm filters?

Shen-Hao suggested (see below) I contact the GAOJIAN company. I’ve tried Google and cannot find contact information for them. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with this company?

Finally, are there other Shen-Hao compendium lens shade owners who’ve found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Craig

-----------------------------------------

RESPONSE FROM SEAGULL TRADING COMPANY

Hi, Craig

Shenhao camera's size is the same as Toyo camera.
So if the filter can be used on a TOYO 4x5 CAMERA, it should also be able to be used on shenhao camera.
Do you know someone who use toyo camera? then maybe you can ask him where can buy the suitable filter.

Best Regards,
Joyce

-----------------------------------------

RESPONSE FROM SHEN-HAO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Dear Sir:

Very Sorry! I don't know who manufactures filter.

Our this lens hood principal shade light.

Maybe you can ask TOYO company or GAOJIAN company (as though this company manufactures filter for 120mm camera).

Regards,

Zhang fuming

Ralph Barker
21-Jun-2006, 18:04
Assuming the Shen Hao compendium shade has a collar at the back (to fit over the front of the lens) like the Toyo model for the 45A series, you'd need to mount standard 100mm gel or resin filters in a cardboard holder to get them to fit. (File folder material works well for this.) Absent the collar, the back of the shade wouldn't cover the front edge of the lens. The front slot is really only useful for vignetters cut out of other material. Putting a real filter out there in the direct rays defeats the purpose of the shade.

Nick_3536
21-Jun-2006, 19:00
Plus you might be able to use 4x6 filters. Things like grads.

cblurton
21-Jun-2006, 19:51
Hi Ralph:

Yes, it does have a collar. It looks as though I will have to make a custom filter holder to fit the 115mm square slots.

Thanks,

Craig

cblurton
22-Jun-2006, 18:02
Seagull and Shen-Hao both suggested that Toyo might make a filter that fits. I tried contacting the U.S. Toyo dealer but they were singularly unhelpful - "Sorry we don't sell or distribute Toyo filters at all." I did find information using Google that there are Toyo "Gelatin Filter Holders" (U.S. Cat part # 180-609; Int part # 1663) for their compendium lens hood (part # 8060). I've written to the people at Toyo in Japan (http://www.toyoview.co.jp/main.htm) asking what the measurement of this holder is and whether or not they have someone retailing it in Hong Kong.

I have my fingers crossed that this holder is the reason why both Seagull and Shen-Hao referred me to the Toyo product line. I'll let you know what happens.

Craig

cblurton
28-Jun-2006, 03:39
Problem solved! I’ve been in communication with a very helpful Toyo representative in Japan, Mr. Yoichi Azuma (azuma@toyoview.co.jp), who has helped me acquire the Toyo Gelatin Filter holder (Part No. 1663) which measures 114 mm x 123 mm x 2mm and is made of thick black paper. This should fit my Shen Hao Compendium Lens Hood perfectly.

Best wishes,

Craig

Doug Howk
28-Jun-2006, 16:12
Is anybody aware of a Toyo US distributer that might have these filter holders?

cblurton
30-Jun-2006, 06:34
Is anybody aware of a Toyo US distributer that might have these filter holders?

Hi Doug:

The response I got from Toyo USA was that they didn't handle this product. Here is a thought. This filter holder from Toyo Japan is, according to Mr. Azuma, made of heavy black paper. Once it arrives I could scan it full size and send you the file. You could use it as a pattern to make your own.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes,

Craig

Doug Howk
4-Jul-2006, 08:26
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the offer but I went ahead & measured the opening. Then used a heavy stock paper to create something comparable to the paper slide holders. Used rubber cement & sandwhiched the filter inbetween. Works great.
Enjoy your compendium hood.
Doug